Shrek The Halls

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » September 12th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Here is some information on the "Shrek the Halls" DVD.

www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=68886

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 13th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Thanks! Not a bad cover and I like how the title is on a present. The Shrek plushie also looks adorable and it's by "Ty", yay!

My only problem is they include a Deck The Halls Sing Along featuring the Madagascar Penguins, but not the actual Christmas Caper short. Shame. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » September 13th, 2008, 1:59 pm

I'm a little surprised by that as well and I'm also surprised they don't have baby plushies as well. My nieces absolutely love those shrek babies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » September 13th, 2008, 4:21 pm

A new holiday classic?
Of course....
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » September 13th, 2008, 4:31 pm

I can't wait for that DVD anymore!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 15th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Now we know why the Penguins Chrsitmas short was not included on the Shrek the Halls DVD. It's being promoted on the Madagascar re-release in November...

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... car10.html

Odd that they didn't hold the Madagascar Blu-ray release until then, too. It comes out next week already.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Ahh...the UK got this when the original disc came out - this is nothing but a repackaging containing the original single disc release and a separate disc holding the Christmas Caper short on it.

DWs also did the same thing here with Over The Hedge, choosing to offer a two-disc version with the bonus short on it.

Why they do this, nobody knows, but it's the same deal as they're doing with the Kung Fu Pand thing - essentially putting some bonus content on an extra disc and making a big deal about it.

It's obvious they didn't want to put this on the Shrek disc because people would then not buy this edition again, and then not go and see their new film!

Hollywood marketing...gotta love it! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 16th, 2008, 1:04 am

Actually, this appears to be the exact same single disc that R1 got last time. Chistmas Caper was on there, too, with a banner about it going across the top of the cover. The new edition just makes it an even more annoying cover addition.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 16th, 2008, 9:18 am

Right, gotcha!

I was thinking that Christmas Caper came on the Wallace & Gromit DVD. Here in the UK, they offered Madagascar in two flavors: a single disc edition without the short, and a two-disc edition that contained the short and some of the DreamWorks Kids extras...for an extra £5!

Why they couldn't bundle it all on as per the US disc is anyone's gue$$, but they did it again with Over The Hedge and look to be doing it with the Panda disc too.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 16th, 2008, 3:10 pm

R1 actually did it too for Over the Hedge, but only for the Wal-Mart edition. The short was still on the regular disc everywhere, but Wal-Mart included it twice with a few other bonus features. I'm pretty sure they did the same for Flushed Away too.

Back to the Penguins, well, that's silly. The name, the cover, everything... It really would've been more suited with Shrek the Halls, given they actually omitted it from next weeks Madagascar BD release and making people wait or double-dip for the "Holiday Edition". Oh well. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 30th, 2008, 9:54 pm

Shrek The Halls is airing tomorrow on ABC at 8 p.m. along with Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Both will be repeated again, and on ABC Family, throughout the entire month.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2008, 8:25 am

Told ya it would be on again within a month of the DVD release! Really, I don't know why they couldn't have made this more a "Shrek/DreamWorks Christmas" type of disc and really packed it with some fun extras.

As I said in my review, owning Shrek The Halls on DVD is just like...owning Shrek The Halls on DVD. There's nothing more to it than saving it from TV on a DVR.

Actually, at least the TV version doesn't have minutes of credits tagged on to it...the TV edition runs them as they would on a short, quick and concise as opposed to the DVD's movie-like format.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 1st, 2008, 3:12 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I just got it for the plushie - Gingy! Very cute. I didn't need Halls, though if it were Blu heck yes, since I had a DVD-R of it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 2nd, 2008, 9:11 am

At least you have both versions now...I put a DVD-R of the TV edition in the case with the home video, twenty minutes of credits version. ;)