What's The Name of That Show?

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

What's The Name of That Show?

Post by eddievalient » February 3rd, 2009, 7:48 pm

I thought I'd start a thread where people can ask about a show they remember but can't recall the title. Maybe someone here knows.

I'll start: When I was a kid, I once saw a show that was kind of like Power Rangers, but it had a gimmick where every episode had a sequence in 3D (and I remember being disappointed because I didn't have a pair of 3D glasses). It probably would have been a syndicated series. Does anyone else remember this?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 4th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Big Bad Beetleborgs? That's the only show that comes to mind. It had three kids and they fought monsters. In retrospect, man was it corny.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 4th, 2009, 9:20 pm

The thing I remember most about Big Bad Beetleborgs is Flabber. The very first time I saw a promotional image for the show, I seriously thought, 'Jay Leno is doing a kids' series?'

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 4th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Funny! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rosengeist » February 6th, 2009, 8:04 pm

Ummm, I'm not sure this is the right one, but there was a similar show on tv when I was a kid called "VR Troopers" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX-7GLLl ... re=related (this one had a whole virtual reality slant, so that might be want you wanted)

Or possibly "Masked Rider" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-MoF-nV ... re=related

Or SuperHuman Samurai Cybersquad - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeZjmiTp ... re=related

I just kind of randomly searched youtube for Power Rangers type shows, but suprisingly, I remember seeing all three of these shows to some extent or another as a kid.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 6th, 2009, 8:46 pm

Hey guys, I figured it out. I looked up a list of Saban shows and it appears that what I remembered was a cartoon series called The Bots Master. Thanks anyway.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 7th, 2009, 2:07 pm

Here's a challenge for you guys. When I was a kid (mid-80s), I remember watching a show about a kid (or maybe there were different kids in each episode). They would shrink in size and go through a portal in a tree. On the other side was a magical land. I really can't remember anything else about it, but it's always bothered me because I used to love the show. I think it might've been from Japan. Anyone know it?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 17th, 2009, 11:37 pm

Told you it'd be hard. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » February 18th, 2009, 8:15 am

I think my sister watched that, and my dad is always asking me what it was called but no Google search has amounted to anything.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2009, 9:34 am

The Magic Faraway Tree?

We had a series of books that sound like that as kids, and I know they made either a series of films or a television version (I <I>think</I>) in Japan, so maybe it's that?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 18th, 2009, 10:02 am

It's too difficult for me to remember. This was obviously a cartoon I loved, but I must've been 4 or 5 at the time. I'm not sure I would recognize it. There are only a handful of images I have left from the cartoon. It always stayed with me though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2009, 10:25 am

I looked up Faraway Tree and the books sound like it could be it, but the series doesn't look like it was done until 1997, so that can't be it.

There was also Jamie And The Magic Torch, which doesn't have a tree but was about a kid going through a portal (there was a tree involved at some point though) and coming out in strange lands, but that was a British animated show from Cosgrove-Hall (the 80s timing better fits though).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 18th, 2009, 3:40 pm

No, that's not it. The one I remember had kids shrinking in size to fit the small door at the bottom of the tree.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 18th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Rodney wrote:No, that's not it. The one I remember had kids shrinking in size to fit the small door at the bottom of the tree.
If it'll end the thread branch, I can't remember whether the title was "Maple Town" or not--
There were two critter-toy series at the time, and I always get confused which one was the JP import.