AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Loonatics

Post by Macaluso » February 16th, 2005, 4:08 pm

Bugs Bunny's DRASTIC makeover?!
:O
:D

http://www.toonradioadvanced.com/board/ ... owtopic=96

I dunno about you guys, but this show sounds rather interesting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Loonatics

Post by Dajoka86 » February 16th, 2005, 5:40 pm

I'm incredibly depressed by what little I know about "Loonatics."

So they're in the future, on a spaceship, and they have super powers.
And they've butchered the magnificent work that Chuck Jones, Tex Avery, Fritz Freling and the like have put into making such interesting and appealing characters...no one else thinks this is wrong??
DJK

http://davidkantro.blogspot.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 16th, 2005, 6:15 pm

check CARTOONBREW.com to see the awful drawing:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

but wait! there's more!

Post by Dajoka86 » February 16th, 2005, 11:53 pm

Another image at www.animationmagazine.net
at http://www.animationmagazine.net/articl ... le_id=3578

They also say they're gonna have a show called "Coconut Fred," who looks and sounds a lot like Spongebob. Originality at WB saturday mornings.
DJK

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 17th, 2005, 12:58 am

:x THIS LOOKS LIKE ABSOLUTE CRAP! What the hell?? Why don't they come up with something fresh? Re-inventing Bugs Bunny?? What kind of crack are they smoking at the WB? These big-wigs at the studios just don't get it :roll:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 17th, 2005, 1:49 am

You guys are FINALLY starting to get it?

As if what WB has done with "The Batman" animated series, Baby LooneyTunes, and Cartoon Network programming hasn't been bad enough the past 6 years?

Jerry Beck warned people about crap like this years ago. I definitely saw an inkling of it and heard bits and pieces from people in the animation biz.

I'm not so surprised.

There are a bunch of executives convinced they're creative programmers and way too many animators and storyboard artists starving for money who are willing to do this work like it or not.

And you'd be surprised how many people out there WOULD welcome changes like this.

After all, wasn't it one or two of you guys the other day that said you WEREN'T that hard to please...? That's who they're programming this crap for!

On the other hand, by the "artistic" standards of some bloggers, you'd think those bloggers would LOVE the new Bugs Bunny look. It's very UPA-ish, don't ya think? And that's ALWAYS been so avant garde.

Excuse me while I go puke now...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 17th, 2005, 10:46 am

The problem I have with what they're doing is they're taking classic characters and desecrating them by changing everything they were that made them so beloved in the first place! My kids love Bugs Bunny. I haven't heard them saying,"Ya know what? This Bugs Bunny guy just ain't that funny. If he looked a little more menacing and maybe if he could be, like, a superhero? Yeah, now we're talking!" It's the lazy way to try and make a buck. They don't want the artists and writers to be creative. They just want them to mass produce generic slop. My only hope is that NO ONE watches it when it comes to the small screen.

BTW, I'm glad you mentioned The Batman, the new version of Batman on the WB. I've seen a couple of episodes and was disgusted at what they've done with a character I love. They're undoing all the great work of Paul Dini and co. with the "hip" and "slick" junk. Boy, they think they know how kids think, but they don't.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Cartoon Brew

Post by Dajoka86 » February 17th, 2005, 10:53 am

Harsh words from Amid posted on Cartoon Brew regarding Loonatics. Harsh and tragically true.

check it out at www.cartoonbrew.com
DJK

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » February 17th, 2005, 12:20 pm

:shock: Wow, that was some harsh stuff said in that link. I understand the point made, and see where he or she is coming from, but I can't be that apathetic. I do care what they do to classic characters like Bugs because, before you know it, they'll have erased almost all memory of Bugs, Daffy, Elmer, ect. and all future generations will know is the crap that was created in their wake. I'm not willing to stand by silently and let them do it. I mean what's next: will they make Popeye the sailor into Popeye the cruise ship captain? I think you bring about change by not being silent. Think about it. If no one is watching it, it's done. Advertisers don't want to be attached to a show that no one sees. So if people don't accept this junk it will eventually end up where it belongs!
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 18th, 2005, 2:03 am

AniMan,

I'd take anything Amid Amidi says with a grain of salt...

He's a Spumco-ite and those guys live in a very different world than the rest of us. It goes without saying many animators DO live in a different world where a lot of the rules of graciousness and tact don't apply, but even a lot of the fellow professional animators don't think too kindly of the Spumco guys. A number of the Spumco guys are particularly arrogant and act like bully boys when they're in a room full of naive kids that don't know better.

Amidi is NOT an animator. The guy really doesn't even draw but he goes ahead and lectures everybody else on what's good design and good drawing! :roll: He's got his opinions, and we've all got ours, too. Unfortunately, like a lot of the Spumco guys, he can never admit when he's wrong or blowing air out his @ss. And the Spumco crew don't take kindly to people that make valid criticisms of John K and the excesses and inadequacies of Spumco's work.

Seriously, it can pretty darn pathetic the stuff that gets posted in some of his blogs. It's just sh!t that doesn't really serve a big purpose other than to provoke or antagonize other people. Like most people who blog, he has no real power so he writes to provoke but it's basically p!ssing in the wind like other blogs.

I can imagine he doesn't have a lot of close friends.

He's basically the dark side of Jerry Beck. I don't think Beck will come out and admit this, but Amidi says a lot of stuff that's controversial, at the very least inflammatory, that would have gotten Beck knocked off of a lot of projects with the studiosl

Jerry Beck can't say a lot of things because his work is consulting with the big studios, doing research for current home video projects, and doing more research for books and future projects -- and he needs to stay on the GOOD SIDE of the powers-that-be to keep access to research materials.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 18th, 2005, 2:48 am

And the Spumco crew don't take kindly to people that make valid criticisms of John K and the excesses and inadequacies of Spumco's work.
Boy, is that ever true.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Inkan1969 » February 18th, 2005, 1:39 pm

GeorgeC wrote: He's a Spumco-ite and those guys live in a very different world than the rest of us. It goes without saying many animators DO live in a different world where a lot of the rules of graciousness and tact don't apply, but even a lot of the fellow professional animators don't think too kindly of the Spumco guys. A number of the Spumco guys are particularly arrogant and act like bully boys when they're in a room full of naive kids that don't know better.
I don't agree with everything Amid says, and I do think Spumco has suffered some break with reality regarding its most recent work. But I still think they have a valid point that cartoons should be creator controlled with artists in charge of the project. Artists with a good understanding of what makes an appealing design and a good understanding of what the Looney Tunes are all about would not have come up with the "Loonatics" concept.

Frankly, I think GeorgeC's post much better describes "Tiny Toons" and "Animaniacs" fans than Spumco-ites. In the 1990's those guys were the biggest jerks in the animation-related internet. They DID exude a master-race complex about their wretched shows and bully anyone that didn't agree with them. Today, the "Shrek" fans are the ones who've taken their place.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 18th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Uh...

I'm a Shrek fan but, I'm not saying others HAVE to be. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 19th, 2005, 4:42 pm

looking at Loonatics stuff... I feel offended on behalf of all the talented people that worked on the classic shorts. Those stood the test of time. This new design wich is an obvious idea by some creative executive will die a quick death, what a travesty.

Sorry this is my opinion :oops: . I understand some people out there are intruiged by it, I am insulted.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Amid, Spumco, and those damn Loonatics

Post by Dajoka86 » February 20th, 2005, 2:42 pm

Amid is the opinionated Ying of Beck's apparently unbiased Yang. However, there is no doubt in my mind that Beck feels just as strongly as Amid, especially considering that Beck has written several books about the beloved WB characters.
And yes, the Spumco people have their own cult-esque style, but what a style it is! Regardless of some of their pompous and negative behavior, these are people who have a sincere devotion and love for this art form. They live off of the classics, in both animation and film. They're composition nuts, design freaks, they put their heart and soul into this stuff. And they're good. No one can argue that they're not.
I guess what I'm saying is we need people like Amid. I don't agree with him all the time, nor his methods, but I respect any man as passionate as he is. Some people show frustration in different ways than others, and this is how Amid does it.
And I think the Loonatics deserve Amid's wrath.
-DK
DJK