Merry Madagascar 11/17

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Merry Madagascar 11/17

Post by Daniel » November 16th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Just a kindly reminder Merry Madagascar airs tomorrow (Tuesday) at 8 p.m. ET on NBC with a repeat scheduled for Saturday, November 28 at 8 p.m. ET. The following day sees the DVD release exclusive only to Wal-Mart. And if that wasn't enough, they also have exclusive plushes! They have the main four and one of the penguins. (99.9% sure it's Private; doesn't have a name) They're the big kind however, around 12 inches, so only got the penguin. Sure is a cutie! Wish they had them small ones too, though.

I've seen the press touting the special has having the original cast, but unless I've somehow missed it, I haven't seen Sacha Baron Cohen confirmed to be in this. (King Julian) I wonder if he is, not that it's huge concern since if he's not I hope they were able to get his VA from the penguin show, he's a pretty dead on sound-alike.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 16th, 2009, 6:19 pm

Will try to watch this tomorrow if I'm home for it. If not, then I'll catch it on Saturday.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2009, 6:25 am

We'll have a review going up later today, but what did you all think of Merry Madagascar?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 18th, 2009, 10:37 am

Funniest bits of the show involved the lemurs and the penguins. But that's not really new for this franchise, is it? ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 18th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Nope, but I still very much agree!

Yep, like I thought, Julien's original VA didn't reprise his role in the special. Busy perhaps? But wow, Danny Jacobs did a fantastic job! He gives me goosebumps how close he can get. I wouldn't even mind if he continued the role for Mad 3. Kowalski’s voice on the other hand... bleh. I'm pretty sure it was his original VA, but it doesn't really fit the character anymore. I love his TV voice more now.

Onto the actual special, I thought it was pretty good. A little cliché, but fun. I particularly enjoyed Private and the female reindeer's romance, it was cute and funny. Julian with his "Julienary" was also entertaining, loved the end when he says "I am the naughty list!" and then ends up hitting everyone. The hyper little girl was also amusing and the scene was really heartwarming.

I am so relieved it didn't have the old lady from the Mad films! When I saw the commercials and saw them in a house I was predicting she was gonna pop out and say "bad kitty!". She's OK, but her act hasn't gotten pretty old... same could be said for the penguins, but nah, their still as cute as ever! ;)

Canon-wise, this definitely could fit in between the movies and of course something had to happen for them to remain on the Madagascar!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 18th, 2009, 8:25 pm

Yep, just like I thought...you guys all go for the lemurs and the penguins!

http://animatedviews.com/2009/merry-mad ... v-special/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » November 19th, 2009, 11:10 pm

Watched it and liked some of it. It felt a little rushed, but it was a 20 min show anyways. Still, it was fun for what it was. I always enjoy the penguins, but I wish they had used some of the main characters more. There were only one or two gags with them and could have been more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » November 21st, 2009, 10:40 pm

Ben wrote:Yep, just like I thought...you guys all go for the lemurs and the penguins!
But their the coolest! :)