Futurama

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 18th, 2008, 3:22 pm

And here's the cover art and release date for Bender's Game. Woo-hoo for Blu-ray!!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 3rd, 2008, 5:48 pm

Good to see Futurama back, but the films haven't exactly been A-game scriptwriting, either. The first film was definitely better than the second one for sure IMHO. I think the writing's been hurt by the fact that Fox wants the films broken down into a new season of shows.

It's sort of like the mentality in American comics that every story has to be done in at least 5-6 issue cycles for the inevitable trade paperback! The best stories are generally one-shots that AREN'T part of an overall cycle.

Besides that little criticism, I'm puzzled as to why Fox DIDN'T issue the first two Futurama movies on Blu-Ray at the same time as the DVD releases. There is a chance they will be reissued on BR (but not holding my breath on that one!), but I've kind of wondered about Fox's reluctance on the Blu-Ray issue.

Fox has never exactly been the most daring company when it comes to home video... They jump on trends only at the absolute last second they can before they look like goofs.

GeorgeC

Comedy Central airing "Bender's Game" on Sunday

Post by GeorgeC » April 25th, 2009, 4:28 am

Comedy Central is airing the third Futurama direct-to-video movie, "Bender's Game" on Sunday, 26 April starting at 9 PM EST/ 8 PM CT. It will air divided into multiple like the previous two movies.

I guess I have to make some time soon to watch the movie as I just recently got it on BD!

GeorgeC

Futurama: Complete Collection Annnounced...

Post by GeorgeC » August 27th, 2009, 12:16 am

From http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents , August 25th, 2009

"Fox has announced the 19-disc Futurama: The Complete Collection for DVD release on 10/13 (SRP $199.98). All 72 episodes will be included, along with 4 feature-length films (Bender's Big Score, The Beast with a Billion Backs, Bender's Game and Into The Wild Green Yonder), with all previous extras and a letter from creator Matt Groening and producer David X. Cohen. All of this will come packaged in a collectible Bender head case, including a detachable rubber antenna. Only 25,000 will be produced. Here's what it looks like... "

Great deal if you don't already have the series and most of the movies like I do!

I did get the season sets when they around $20 or less a piece. Didn't get as good deal on the movies and the Blu ray editions of the last two films are still priced high unless you get them online.

Frankly, I never cared for the character head cases for The Simpsons Season Set releases. Pass on this even if I didn't already have the shows...

Note that this does NOT include any of the 26 new episodes being produced for Comedy Central. The first of those are still at least a year away from airing, if not closer to 18 months.

UPDATE: Hey, my new avatar works!

Website's real picky about image file size. Had to use gif instead of jpeg to fit within the restrictions...
Last edited by GeorgeC on August 27th, 2009, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 27th, 2009, 6:22 am

What's this with head cases all the time!? Over at Amazon they have the Family Guy Stewie head going cheap, and that's one of the few such cases that actually works, keeping the DVD cases intact inside.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » August 27th, 2009, 7:13 am

I already have the four season box-sets and I was somewhat disappointed by the new films, so I will pass on this one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » August 27th, 2009, 9:29 am

Ben wrote:What's this with head cases all the time!?
At least the heads fit in with the concept of the show.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 27th, 2009, 4:21 pm

Yes, very true in this case. It could start a trend... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » August 29th, 2009, 3:30 pm

I heard that the Jack Skellington head case (more like a bust) scratched the Nightmare discs because they just slid around inside.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

GeorgeC

UPDATE on status of NEW Futurama Episodes

Post by GeorgeC » February 10th, 2010, 8:20 am

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/Lamarr-Futu ... 00209.html

According to Phil Lamarr, voice actor of Hermes Conrad from the series Futurama, the new episodes could begin airing as soon as Summer/Fall this year depending on how Comedy Central wants to handle the schedule.

Lately, Phil has been popping up all over the place giving interviews about his voice jobs! The guy's also a major comic book geek and really knows his stuff, too.

HE'S ONE OF US! :lol:

But seriously, he's a great voice talent. He also did the voices of of John Stewart/Green Lantern, Static, Kit Fisto/Jedi Knight/Master and a ton of other characters over scattered series like Justice League, Family Guy, and so forth.

With the promotion of his shows and animation in general, he's becoming a veritable spokesman like Stan Lee has been for Marvel for many years...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » February 10th, 2010, 3:10 pm

What great news about Futurama. :D Straight from the voice actor's mouth. Can't wait to see some new episodes. Thanks for the heads up George.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 10th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Wait, wasn't Into The Wild Green Yonder supposed to be the series finale? Did I miss something?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 10th, 2010, 8:47 pm

You sure did! :)

Fox announced a few months back that Comedy Central had picked up the show for 26 half-hour episodes. Here's one article published shortly after the announcement. Could've sworn there was a discussion about it around here... I remember before it was finalized, there was talk of the whole cast being replaced. Needless to say it caused a rif within the Futurama community, so much so a "Save the Voices of Futurama" group was formed. Shorty after, the issue was resolved and fans were even more exited that Futurama was returning with the original voices. I myself was worried they would get replaced... I just HATE when that happens. When there's a real reason, fine, but when done in greed nu-huh. I kept thinking "no, it wouldn't happen to such well known and beloved show/talent" but history has shown it can happen.

I'm just beyond happy they are back. It would've hurt to probably stop watching one of my favorite shows because of something as trivial as new voices, but it is possible. If their mediocre or don't sound close enough to the original, it ruins the magic. Simply put, it just wouldn't be as enjoyable.

The DTV movies were somewhat of a mixed bag and I didn't care for some of the humor, but it still retained the feeling of the original seasons, more so than The Simpsons. Really, I think having to stretch the story is what hurt the DTV's most. I'm anxious to see how they handle a regular half hour episode.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: UPDATE on status of NEW Futurama Episodes

Post by Dan » February 27th, 2010, 9:46 pm

Preview of the first three minutes of the first new episode, "Rebirth," during the Animation Supercon in Miami back in October.

I'm reading that it will air June 10 on Comedy Central.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 10th, 2010, 10:51 pm

Funny and kind of disturbing. O.O Still, I can't wait to see the new episodes. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]