Futurama

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Re: UPDATE on status of NEW Futurama Episodes

Post by GeorgeC » March 14th, 2010, 9:36 pm

The latest word is that the new Futurama episodes start airing in June.

In the meantime, Comedy Central has started a five-hour block of Futurama on Sundays starting at 4:00 PM.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 18th, 2010, 10:56 pm

Sweet! Makes sense.

Billy West is coming to the local anime convention I am helping to run this year. I'm sure he'll be here to promote the new seasons and might have some information, but that isn't until April. :P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

GeorgeC

Re: UPDATE on status of NEW Futurama Episodes

Post by GeorgeC » May 1st, 2010, 2:15 am

I have seen neither hide nor hair of new animation footage of Futurama but Comedy Central has been airing a teaser for the past week or so announcing that new Futurama episodes ARE airing starting this June!

The exact date and time for the re-start haven't been announced as of yet, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 1st, 2010, 5:02 pm

Yep, here's the one I've seen: (ignore the subtitles, it was the only one on YT)

Makes me exited!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » May 6th, 2010, 7:56 pm

I'm excited too! :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

GeorgeC

Re: Futurama

Post by GeorgeC » May 7th, 2010, 6:52 am

Latest news from AICN is that new Futurama episodes begin airing June 24th --- a day before I get my certificate from broadcast school.

Here's a sample image from the new episodes --

Fingers crossed that the new episodes will be better written than the movies were!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 25th, 2010, 5:39 am

It's back, baby!

The one-hour premiere of the first two episodes of Season 6 of Futurama was much better than the 4 movies released before it.

The writing and humor are more solid. Seems like Futurama was meant to be written and seen in half-hour doses.

Season 6, Episode 1, "Rebirth" leads directly from "Into the Wild Green Yonder" but you don't have to have seen that movie to appreciate and follow the Season 6 premiere.

There are important character relationship changes but I'll leave it at that.

Watch the episode yourself. No spoilers from me!

Season 6, Episode 2, "In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela" builds on those changes but it's not absolutely necessary to have seen "Rebirth," either.

I've recorded both episodes to my DVD-Recorder's HDD and am burning both to DVD+RW and then editing out the commercials. (MPEG Streamclip, a freeware utility, is a great editor for clipping out the junk. It can edit MPEG-2 video WITHOUT converting to another format. Very handy and saves a lot of time!) I'm burning a DVD-R for a classmate while I make mp4's to watch off of the iPod while I'm on the road.

24 more episodes in Season 6 to go but so far it's a very good start!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 25th, 2010, 3:47 pm

I agree. Futurama is INDEED back. I didn't watch any of the movies besides the first one. But man oh man, the two season premier episodes were hilarious. My favorite joke of the night was definitely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAbNrEUQlW8

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by scamp » June 25th, 2010, 6:20 pm

I agree: Futurama is definitely back, baby!

While I fairly enjoyed the first direct to dvd film: "Bender's Big Score," things seemed to go downhill from there. But these two new eps were a return to form for the show, and I very much look forward to seeing what else the new season has in store for us.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 31st, 2010, 10:30 am

Just wanted to say that last night's episode might just be one of the top episodes of the entire series. It was wonderful.

GeorgeC

Futurama Volume 5 set for 12/21

Post by GeorgeC » October 6th, 2010, 11:50 pm

From TheDigitalBits.com , 10-6/2010,

"Fox has set Futurama: Volume 5 for release on DVD and Blu-ray on 12/21 (SRP $39.98 and $49.99). Extras will include episode commentary, deleted and extended scenes, and 7 featurettes/additional features (Bend it Like Bender, Previously On..., Fry's Crudely-Drawn Comic Book - The Crudely Animated Edition, Fry's Crudely Drawn Comic Book Alternate Design, Behind the Fungus: Makin' a Hit Song, "The Prisoner of Benda" Table Read and a Bender Audio Outtake)."

This the release of the 13 episodes that aired exclusively (in the US) on Comedy Central this year beginning in late June.

The previous 78 TV episodes were covered in Volumes 1-4. The four direct-to-video movies are not counted in the Season/Volume sets released to DVD.

Some fansites and less-official sources count the movies as Season 5/Volume 5.

13 more episodes of Futurama will begin airing next year... Beyond that, there have been no plans announced for further orders of TV episodes or movies.

This is one of those animated series/films that I don't think will benefit from the Blu ray release even though the show was produced (this time around) with hi-def in mind. The animation designs and backgrounds just don't lend themselves to enhancement from hi-def.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 7th, 2010, 9:24 am

Well, the old DVD sets were rife with artifacts, so one would expect the Blu-rays to at least avoid that problem. Granted, the old DVDs likely could have been done better to start with in terms of video compression, but with Blu-ray they have no excuses.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 18th, 2010, 2:19 pm

Just a heads up that the new holiday special "The Futurama Holiday Spectacular" is premiering this Sunday (11/21) at 10PM with an encore at 11. Looks good!

Oh yeah, and boo at Volume 5! I wanted the movies in a nice little package. Don't really feel like buying them separately, they're not even consistent in packaging. Even better, since this is a small season they could've just included them here...

Still, will probably buy Volume 5 as it was a pretty good season overall. Most of the episode could fit alongside the classics. One of my favorites was the one where they kept going into the future. Awesome song they had in the episode "In the year *insert numer*..." :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 18th, 2010, 4:39 pm

Yeah, you'd hope that all the movies could at least have been put out on BD.

AV Team
AV Team

Re:

Post by Dan » November 18th, 2010, 6:37 pm

The last two movies made it onto Blu Ray, but that's about it.