The DOCTOR WHO Thread

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: The DOCTOR WHO Thread

Post by Ben » September 5th, 2021, 10:12 am

I managed to see a couple of the Caroline Munro intros last night as they went out, but have DVR'd the evening's entertainment to catch up on during the week. She doesn’t really bring much real insight, but there’s a bit of background, they tease some bits via trailers and it’s nice to have someone presenting the evening inbetween the films in a serious nature, albeit from a typical goth-like setting. You know, atmosphere!

They also repeat the programme from midnight on Wednesdays, so I might catch a few of these in future as I nod off in bed! Next week's selection has just been announced via TPTV's newsletter email this morning:
THE CELLAR CLUB – Friday from 9pm

9pm. ‘Scream Queen’, Caroline Munro, introduces two late-night horror classics.

9.05pm. The Horror of Dracula (1958). Directed by Terence Fisher, this stars horror legends Peter Cushing and Sir Christopher Lee. After Dracula defeats a vampire slayer, he pursues his wife, provoking Van Helsing to hunt the villain.

10.45pm. The Cellar Club. Caroline is back for some spine-chilling fun. This time she introduces Roger Corman’s story of vengeance - The Severed Arm.

10.50pm. The Severed Arm (1973). Stars Deborah Walley, Paul Carr & David G. Cannon. Trapped in a cave, five men cut the arm off a companion to live, prompting the victim to seek revenge.
Fun! Curse Of Frankenstein has been named for the week after, so I’ll probably end up watching their broadcast of that rather than the shiny new Warner Archive Blu-ray! That’s how things usually play out anyway! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 5th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Another brilliant line up. Severed Arm especially, what armless fun! Solid twist ending.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 5th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Ooh, got me even more excited for it now!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 6th, 2021, 3:36 pm

It's pretty trippy. The synthetic score strangely works in a way. Probably could've been trimmed a bit, though. Still, gotta love 70s horror! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 21st, 2021, 12:33 pm

Some photos from Dr. Who magazine:

Also Bradley Walsh (Graham) has been spotted on set. (Eww, actual topic news! ;))

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 24th, 2021, 9:00 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 24th, 2021, 11:29 pm

Wow, that's unexpected.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 25th, 2021, 12:25 am

...Oh, darn, where's that Munsch-scream emoji? :shock:

Russell T. "Ninth Doctor in Big Brother" Davies?? The man they tried to DE-gay the series from, after the first two seasons?
Torchwood? Captain Jack? "Bad Wolf"???

The Russell T. Davies that is one of the TWO reasons I have never watched the new series since halfway through the second season? (Billie Piper being the other.)
I guess they figured the current She-Doctor wasn't jumping the shark far enough, and need a little more help in mercy-killing the series.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2021, 3:15 am

As he's been known in the business before now, Russell T Davies: a man who never runs out of of other people's ideas…

But…fair play to him…he brought back the (always slightly naff) Who (but that’s the way we like it) and gave the planet the show it needed/wanted/deserved. The final season with Tennant and Piper was epic stuff, and we've had a couple of other massive moments since then too. It’s not always successful, but that’s really been down more to the more recent seasons, and casting a female Doc — and then not even referencing the fact that this hundreds of years old man is now a woman — was completely dumb.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 5th, 2021, 7:30 am

Not that much of an RTD fan, but this is just so cute:

https://youtu.be/OWn2XnH7A3c

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 5th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Got a chuckle out of me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 7th, 2021, 2:46 pm

Season 17 of Classic Who is up next on Blu-ray, here's another specially produced trailer:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2021, 3:20 pm

Teasers for Season 13:

So premiere day is Halloween. I'll probably record to see how the new character gels. Like before though, I'll probably watch sporadically.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 15th, 2021, 9:49 pm

Ben wrote:
September 25th, 2021, 3:15 am
As he's been known in the business before now, Russell T Davies: a man who never runs out of of other people's ideas…

But…fair play to him…he brought back the (always slightly naff) Who (but that’s the way we like it) and gave the planet the show it needed/wanted/deserved.
I definitely liked some of what he did (mostly the Donna Noble eps, she rocked! :)) but I still don’t understand how he could go through four seasons without ONE appearance by Paul McGann. I mean NO regeneration scene, not even for a flashback?? Just doesn’t feel right. :(

End of Time had aspects of what could have been an amazing ending for Ten, but was basically a patchwork of different storylines sewn together. Also I hated how much of a whining jerk Ten was when he realized he would regenerate anyway (NOT the same as a death, in my opinion). The only truly incredible scenes were the two with Timothy Dalton (you know the ones I mean. ;))
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 17th, 2021, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 17th, 2021, 3:20 pm

Season 13 trailer:

Looks kinda cool.