The DOCTOR WHO Thread

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The DOCTOR WHO Thread

Post by Daniel » January 4th, 2021, 4:33 pm

Jodie has supposedly quit. (warning, spoils something from the latest episode!) If true, it's not too surprising as most Doctors don't last that long anyway."Quit" though is a pretty harsh connotation for the header, as the story says she's basically just leaving. Like the others before her did.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 4th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Yeah, three series, a couple of specials, and out. Pretty much par for the course. Must be all that squeezing in a box...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ohmahaaha » January 4th, 2021, 6:12 pm

I've enjoyed her episodes, but I was starting to wonder - because they talk about this "rule of 3 years" but really, which the long gaps between productions, she's actually been "The Doctor" for longer than that. You can understand someone wanting to move on.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 4th, 2021, 7:05 pm

I was surprised to see the "quit" headline. Three years seems pretty average, so no big deal.

I'm a wee bit behind anyway, not having watched any Matt Smith episodes yet...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 5th, 2021, 1:50 am

Don’t worry Rand, there are huge gaps in my NuWho watching as well. Seen about five Eccelston, all of Tennant, five or six Smith, all of Capaldi’s last season and a few other random Twelves, and none of Jodie. (Not just because of canceling Amazon Prime, but she pretty much just looks to me like what one would imagine a female Doc to be...and nothing more. Nothing deeper. :? I know for a long time I was curious about her performance, but that’s just the impression I get ever time I see her now. I might change my mind down the road, but I doubt it.)

Yeah, the three-year thing was very common on the show, even during Classic Who. Peter Davison (Five) straight out said that the biggest reason he did three years was because Pat Troughten, HIS favorite Doc, advised him to do so. Troughten did three years as well! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2021, 5:03 am

The way things gets stretched out, with time between series, the Docs are usually in the role for longer than three years, even if they only do three series, what with specials and the gaps.

Jodie has been the Doc for four years now, and will be touching five by the time she regenerates, into... Who? ;)

BTW, I get that it might be how you have to catch them, but I couldn’t imagine watching a show out of order like that, mixing all the Docs up to boot! Although each season is fairly well self-contained, there are still a few over-reaching arcs that play out over Doctors, especially when they come back for the occasional specials.

Which begs the question, as we have seen in the 50th and other specials, of if an actor ever really leaves the role. Once a Doctor, always a Doctor... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 5th, 2021, 2:09 pm

Funny enough they ran a marathon over here on BBC America leading up to and continuing after the new episode. It was pretty random. I mostly stuck to Jodie's, they gave "Rosa" again. I think Jodie is fantastic, just that many episodes have good premises but are wasted. Some were just unwatchable. They just don't give her enough material to really shine and grow and show her charm.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 5th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Rosa is easily the best Who episode of her tenure so far. It just worked on so many levels, as all good sci-fi does. I agree that she’s been let down in a lot of her other stories, and it can only be down to the new current showrunner, who has either been thrown a bit by having to write for a female Who, or maybe as they that inspired to begin with.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 16th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Possible information on the new companion. Sounds interesting. So close to having my name on the show. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2021, 8:03 pm

John Bishop's been known about as the new companion here for a while. Interesting, very "out there" choice, I’m wondering less how he’ll go down here than around the world...

The bigger news is that he’s been getting over Covid, so hopefully that doesn’t impact things too much.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 17th, 2021, 2:12 pm

At first glance I thought it was Hugh Grant! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 18th, 2021, 5:22 am

He’s a Scouser (a lad from Liverpool) with quite a thick accent, so hopefully you’ll be able to understand him!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 18th, 2021, 12:59 pm

Just watched a clip of him, I see what you mean. Not that hard, but there were times where I miss the odd word! His voice reminds me of McSquizzy from Open Season. (the squirrel leader)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 18th, 2021, 5:34 pm

!!

As the name suggests, McSquizzy is Scottish! Played by Brit national treasure Billy Connelly, perhaps best known to US animation audiences for Brave and the delightful Ballad Of Nessie short, though also for his very blue humor back in the day.

Bishop is more family friendly, and a funny guy, but it must be an ear for dialect thing, as I’d never peg them as sounding like each other. I suppose Connelly was maybe toning it down for Americans, as Tennant did and, I suspect Bishop will do to a degree in the final show.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 18th, 2021, 9:32 pm

English, Scottish, Irish.... it's all the same thing, isn't it? ;)