Re: The DOCTOR WHO Thread

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2019, 9:41 pm

That’s a really long foot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 3rd, 2019, 10:23 pm

Lol. :)

Embarrassed to say I still haven’t seen Thirteen. Her season never came to Prime, and then I deleted that service anyway. (Using Apple TV now to stream different channels).

I know she’s gotten mixed reviews, but I’m still very curious to see how she’s playing it. I wonder if she’s anything like River who was also kind of a “female Doctor.”

Liz Shaw, one of Jon Pertwee’s (Three) companions was a strong and VERY intelligent woman (nothing like the much more vulnerable Jo Grant, although I liked her too), as well as a military scientist for UNIT. Next to Donna, most kick-a** companion ever!

So I can’t help wondering if Jodie’s Doc has any of these former female characters’ strengths. (In my opinion the school of thought that all female companions from Classic did was act like silly airheads who were always screaming for help is a really huge misconception. :?)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2019, 6:03 am

She’s basically Tennant.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 4th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Ah. That’s kind of disappointing. I’m pretty ok with a female Doc and everything (though it took some getting used to) so naturally I expected that with a radical change like another gender, a somewhat different personality, (perhaps with various quirks we hadn’t seen before) would be the first order of business. Too bad. :?

Oh totally silly and random trivia, but Caroline John’s (actress who played Liz Shaw) niece was the little girl in Castrovalva who reminded Five which companion was “missing.”

“Three, Sir, is what comes after two!”

Probably my favorite ep next to Caves of Androzani/Genesis of the Daleks (tie).

Here’s one of the best scenes:

https://youtu.be/qI2-1u1AaVg

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 4th, 2019, 8:34 pm

And I haven't seen 11 or 12 yet! Plus, I've barely scratched the surface of several other earlier ones. Guess it's time to get back to catching up on Who! So many decades yet to enjoy...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 5th, 2020, 10:07 pm

Saw the Hamilton discussion on the other thread and couldn't help but think of this.... ;)

Insanely brilliant. That's all I'm going to say.

(Just FYI, there's a ***major*** spoiler if you haven't watched all of Eleven's season)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 24th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Now available from Build a Bear:

Additional info. Perfect if you're a fan of both. The gift box and accessories are neat.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Sadly for us in the future, I’m finding the new series of Doctor Who (Jodie's second, currently running here in the UK) to be distinctly water-treading. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 24th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Pretty sure it's already airing in the US on BBC America. Checking my guide shows "The Timeless Children" airing this Sunday, March 1st. Think its been a simulcast for sometime.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ohmahaaha » February 24th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Really Ben?? I'm actually enjoying it very much. I thought the last season was pretty good, and I like this season even better. My only complaint would be too long a wait between seasons … and this is coming from a long time fan from the Classic Series.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 5th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Looks like the finale got some backlash. Here's the BBC's official statement from their complaints department:
BBC wrote:Thank you for contacting us with your feedback on the Doctor Who Series 12 finale.

Doctor Who is a beloved long-running series and we understand that some people will feel attached to a particular idea they have of the Doctor, or that they enjoy certain aspects of the programme more than others. Opinions are strong and this is indicative of the imaginative hold that Doctor Who has - that so many people engage with it on so many different levels.

We wholeheartedly support the creative freedom of the writers and we feel that creating an origin story is a staple of science fiction writing. What was written does not alter the flow of stories from William Hartnell’s brilliant Doctor onwards - it just adds new layers and possibilities to this ongoing saga.

We have also received many positive reactions to the episode’s cliff-hanger. There are still a lot of questions to be answered, and we hope that you will come back to join us and see what happens, but we appreciate that it’s impossible to please all of our viewers all of the time and your feedback has been raised with the programme’s Executive Producer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 5th, 2020, 3:05 pm

Doctor Who is a beloved long-running series and we understand that some people will feel attached to a particular idea they have of the Doctor,
Next, they're going to say they "Subverted fans' expectations of the Doctor"... :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ohmahaaha » March 5th, 2020, 5:10 pm

Well, as I mentioned above, I've really been enjoying the current Doctor, and especially the current series … and the finale blew me away, thoroughly enjoyed that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 20th, 2020, 4:31 am

What Colin Baker’s (Six) regeneration scene might have actually looked like if the BBC hadn’t been treating both him and the series like (expletive).

Basically a combo of the actual Big Finish episode regeneration scene that Baker performed (like Paul Mcgann he also continued playing the Doctor through radio plays), actual footage from Classic, and some amazing DeepFake/CGI effects.

https://youtu.be/wB2YNAaKnZU

The original 1987 “effects” of Six’s cobbled-together-at-the-last-minute regeneration were so unbelievably bad, (especially considering the obviously more lavish budget only recently used for Trial of a TimeLord) that when it was first transferred to DVD, there was actually some effort to retcon the transformation of Six into Seven by using CGI. It was certainly a cut above the original effort (Having Seven, Sylvester McCoy, don a blonde wig, his face superimposed by various video feedback colors) but in my opinion, this fan’s rendition is hands down the best!! :)