Wonder Showzen

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Wonder Showzen

Post by ShyViolet » August 24th, 2020, 4:40 pm

Won’t get too into this. Same issue as WS and Good Boys except this time it’s a Netflix film. (“Cuties”). And instead of twelve, the kids are eleven (all girls). They wear extremely suggestive outfits throughout the film (ostensibly about one girl who wants to get on a dance team) and their dance moves are very sexualized.

This movie could just as easily have been about a seventeen or eighteen year old, in which case I’d be totally fine with it. And I really like the premise of how overlapping cultures affect a child’s upbringing. I like the production design and acting too. But to put it all in perspective, eleven-year-olds still play with Barbie dolls for crying out loud!

Lots of film reviewers/columnists are defending this movie, saying the outfits/sexualized behavior are being “misinterpreted.” Whatever. :? I’ll just say what I’ve said before: would those columnists be ok with their own tween daughters acting in this film??

Rotten Tomatoes:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cuties

From The Guardian:
More than 150,000 people are demanding the removal of a film they say sexualises children. One problem: they haven’t seen it
We’ve seen enough. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 25th, 2020, 3:59 am

Not to mention, it's a French import, which brings up the issue that Netflix may unfortunately find some of their foreign acquisitions a bit....foreign.

Responding to the controversy with sensitivity and understanding, Netflix took down the ads for the movie, saying, basically, "There, that was what you were complaining about, right?" Um, no.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 25th, 2020, 5:58 am

I haven’t looked, and I don’t want to, but maybe it’s a test: this will at least tell Netflix how many pedopervs they have amongst their subscribers!