DuckTales Reboot

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DuckTales Reboot

Post by gaastra » July 31st, 2015, 4:28 pm

Some new info on the ducktales reboot series. It will be cgi. The batman animated series team is helping with the show! If a hit darkwing duck and kim possible will be next! (90s is big right now!)

Ducktales news at the end of the podcast.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/daily-d ... oplay=true

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Ducktales CGI Reboot

Post by James » March 2nd, 2017, 1:54 pm

http://animatedviews.com/2017/go-quacke ... s-trailer/

I was a fan of the original when it came out (dating myself there?), and thought this one might actually be OK based on this commercial.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2017, 4:58 pm

Mmmm...not liking the boys' voices. They're just regular young men and nothing special. Loving the comic book style designs, though, even if I wish we could have seen the original series in HD...wow that show looked great even in standard definition!

This looks fun, but hopefully it has more depth to it than the same-as-everything-else vibe I'm getting from this teaser.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 2nd, 2017, 5:14 pm

It's been getting an almost overwhelming positive response on Twitter (and not the "my childhood is being raped" complaints), and Disney apparently has enough confidence in it to have already ordered a second season.

Oddly enough, I didn't watch the original show much as a kid (I think my mom saw the movie as being "too violent" when we tuned into it on Disney Channel once), but I'm eager to give this new one a try (and check out the old one eventually).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 2nd, 2017, 5:47 pm

I was just starting to watch the old series (and Rescue Rangers) on library DVD last winter--
Used to snub the "funny" Disney Afternoon shows when they were on--ie, Darkwing Duck, etc., not Aladdin: the Series, which was perfect cool, or Gargoyles, which drowned in its own over-arc'ing pretentiousness--as being way too 80's-Disney rib-nudging, but compared to what we've got on X-D or Cartoon Network nowadays, it's downright quaint. You never appreciate what you have until it's gone.

Hoo-boy: Was I complaining back then about "Manic", "Rib-nudging" and "Self-amusing"? Even just LOOKING at that frame of 21st-Century Webby's design just made me afraid to look at the trailer, if you were wondering what I meant by "Too X-D".
Cable cartoons haven't just replaced the old commercial days of syndication, their attempts to be "freakish" attempts for manchild animators to amuse themselves at full-blast attention-deficit (thinking their "fellow" 10-yo's are the ones who will find it funny) have taken away the innocence of those glorious 80's toons that had to be mainstream for everybody if they wanted to sell that merchandise.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 3rd, 2017, 9:30 am

The new webby reminds me more of Gosalyn from darkwing duck or Dickie duck from the comics. Funny thing about webby is she was made as a replacement for april, may, and june, daisy's nieces from the comics who acted more troublemaking at times in the comics then webby did in the show. Overseas I heard webby was renames april to make her the comic book version in some dubs of ducktales!

Here is april may and june.

Here is Dickie duck.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 4th, 2017, 4:40 pm

Wait, are the nephews suppose to be teenagers? If so, that might somewhat explain the new direction. Doesn't make it any better, though. The designs make 'em look like their usual, younger selves. Quack Pack made them look the part of teens but they still sounded 'young', and a little like what we were accustomed to. These do not sound like anything what's come before. As Ben noted, regular... nothing "unique". Miscast is all I'm thinking. Personalities seem a bit changed too. So yea, me no likey that aspect right now. (more the voices, than anything)

On the plus side, I'm loving that Donald seems to be playing a bigger part. Woo! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 4th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Daniel wrote:On the plus side, I'm loving that Donald seems to be playing a bigger part. Woo! :)

Don't you mean "woohoo"?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 4th, 2017, 8:59 pm

David Tennant as Uncle Scrooge is just so brilliant...yet very strange at the same time. :shock:

Hey Dan wonderful to see you! :) :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 5th, 2017, 1:14 pm

Two Dans! It's so confusing around here sometimes. ;)

But yeah, nice to see you're still among us crazies. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 5th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Thank you both, you're too kind. :)
James wrote:Don't you mean "woohoo"?
Nah, that sounds less fun. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 5th, 2017, 5:35 pm

What a quack!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » March 6th, 2017, 9:51 pm

Maybe we should re-title the thread since it's not quite CGI? :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: DuckTales Reboot

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2017, 5:00 am

I actually meant to do that after I made my last comment! Thanks for the reminder! Dunded!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: DuckTales Reboot

Post by droosan » March 7th, 2017, 7:14 am

The show looks to be done using ToonBoom software -- technically, that's a kind of CGI. :wink:

They're just artfully juggling vectors, gradients & patterns, rather than polygons & shaders.

----------------

And I like the teaser .. even though DuckTales was my least-favorite of the original 'Disney Afternoon' toons.

My favorite was TaleSpin -- simply because it was so bizarre (I often wondered what Rudyard Kipling would've thought of it). :mrgreen: