Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 15th, 2007, 12:29 am

Old threads --

Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 2 Disc Replacement

Sheer stupidity wins again...

Covers up for Oz, TJ Vol.2, LT Golden coll V3 @ DigitalBits

WB's STUPID Response to Tom & Jerry DVD set problems...

There's word that some people have called WB to complain, and have been told that replacements are being planned for Volume 3. (For the two missing shorts.) If that turns out to be true, good grief... :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2007, 8:19 am

Dan...you could be seen to be going overboard on this...! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 9th, 2007, 3:37 am

Forgot to mention this earlier, but I caved in and bought Volume 3. The great thing is, I got it dirt cheap used, because someone sold it for not having the two shorts.

Yeah, its still lame, but its the best and only thing out there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 29th, 2007, 6:50 pm

Saw Tom and Jerry: A Nutcracker Tale about a week ago. Eh... It was an alright movie, enjoyed the music, loved the animation, but it wasn't anything special. The two new characters were kind of forgettable, too. It was great seeing a couple of old faces, though! :)

If I see it cheap down the line, I'll probably get it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 26th, 2008, 6:02 pm

So...I just finally phoned through for the Popeye replacement (Volume 2, Disc 1) and spoke to a very nice WHV lady who asked if I needed any of the Tom & Jerry discs.

I said no (don't have any of those sets on DVD, just stuck with the LDs) but wondered if anyone else here had them and were not aware replacements were going out.

They're for T&J V1, Disc 1, and both Discs 1 and 2 for T&J V2. What were the problems with those discs? Uncut cartoons or transfer issues?

Anyway...hope that's of some help. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 26th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Edited TV transfers.

WB was VERY quick in getting the corrected discs out to the Spotllight collection owners.

I also got the Disney Symphony Vol. 2 corrected discs as well.

Tom & Jerry will probably be one of the laser sets I transfer to DVD next year for my own archives. Haven't watched the DVD versions yet, but I am not happy about the incomplete collection on DVD. Unacceptable.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 27th, 2008, 7:37 am

I thought so...I remember the complaints at the time.

It's odd how WB have treated their non-WB titles, the MGMs seemingly getting the short stick when, in actuality, content is content and everything should be treated equally. Look at the rotten transfers on the Droopy set, barring the later CinemaScope cartoons.

I will say WB are great at replacement discs though...and generally one of the best studios overall for getting stuff out in presentable quality. When they do it well, they do things very, very well.

What a daunting task, transferring LD sets over to DVD. I'd probably wait for a Blu-ray recorder and shove more cartoons on a disc. Get an entire set on one BD maybe. How do you do the LDs George? A 60min CLV side to one DVD-R? Do you chapter up the cartoons or slice them up as individual entries (that would be pretty neat if time consuming).

I must admit I've been transferring a few worn VHS tapes over to DVD, and even a couple to high-end DigiBeta (yes, I know there's no point quality wise) for better safeguarding against future wear and data annihilation! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 27th, 2008, 5:05 pm

DVD transfers are another class in and of themselves, Ben!

(Forget about calling it technology. It's "voodoo art" and "magic" to me. Technology is supposed to work consistently every time but digital editing and authoring never seems to behave the same every time! There's always something...!)

I'm still learning...!

What I have learned about most cartoons is that there is little point in recording them higher than SP quality UNLESS there's a lot of fast-action in the shorts. Even then, I've only done this with one 45-minute anime which I have yet to do burn #2 with. I already had it on DVD-R but decided to do another authoring simply I was not happy with the way some animation sequences looked on the original DVD-R. Hence a new recording at HQ, and, so far, the only HQ recording I've bothered to keep.

Recording at SP quality (2-hour disc mode, single-layer) is enough. You're just burning through disc real estate at HQ (high quality, 1-hour) mode and experiencing no noticeable improvement in video quality. If you absolutely have to have HQ quality, I'd use it only for programs under an hour's length. Otherwise, stick to SP.

You could transfer more standard quality video to Blu-Ray but it won't improve the way the media looks on HDTV. At the same time, Blu-Ray recorders are still horrendously expensive ($1,000 MSRP at least and I still haven't seen them in stores!) and I haven't seen BD-R cheaper than $15 a-piece online in packs. Most stores still sell individual BD-R (25 GB, single-layer) for $25 a-piece. I'm sticking to DVD-R/DVD+R DL just for economy's sake and the knowledge that BD players can probably still upscale even homebrew DVD-R's if I want.

(Do they upscale 480i video? That's one question I'd like an answer to!)

Given the fact that you have to buy and install these burners through third parties in a PC does not inspire a lot of confidence in the BD-R format. I'll wait until Apple gets its act together and writes drivers for it. I think James is a Mac user, too, and has done some BD-R recording with mixed results. There's some question about how well even Sony BD players handle BD-Rs and whether or not the current authoring programs really handle BD-R well at all.

I have sliced up individual 30-minute episodes of a show on DVD but found out that in the end it's better to stick to SP mode (2-hour recording) than trying to squeeze more content onto disc even if it's only an extra 30 minutes. I recorded the 30-minute program(s) at SP+ (2.5 hour mode, single-layer) and just had all kinds of break-up onscreen during certain action sequences and the credits.

I haven't tried slicing up 7-minute shorts but I may do that in the future. So far, I've just copied toons as-is to DVD-R and only bothered to put start points for the sides of the LDs. I use MPEG Streamclip to edit and chop up clips (fastest and easiest program to use for MPEG that I've found) and after I get done with it (tried this with 30-minute episodes), I DIDN'T repeat any part of the videostream for the next clip. I went ahead and started the next edit from where I left off. (In other words, I through away the last segment I edited after I saved it as a separate file.) If you repeat segments of your MPEG streams, it can probably throw your player off.

They're say you're supposed to be able to join together MPEG clips from different sources or sections of the same movie but in practice I've found that it tends not to work well and makes the DVD player pause or crash. It seems better to leave the videostream intact or discretely edit the video files and NOT bother trying to join them together in an editing program like MPEG Streamclip. In other words, number and order them separately in your authoring program and you should be fine. That's how it seemed to work with the last DVD I authored. (Again, the problem with that DVD was the recording speed NOT the way I edited it.)

I'm limited to freeware and a sub-$100 DVD authoring program but short of taking another university class to use s $1,000 program I'm happy with thte results for the most part. I tried once to record straight to DVD+RW from laserdisc but have found the best results still come from recording to the DVD Recorder's hard-drive at SP speed before dumping to DVD+RW.

Even with an 80 GB hard-drive, I still get at least 34 hours of recording time at SP speed. Most newer DVD recorders with hard-drives mount 160 GB drives and get double that at SP speed. One thing I have noticed with DVD recorders is that they're AWFUL at editing video -- the remote just can't replace a good keyboard and mouse for editing(!) -- and their built-in editing capability is only useful for cutting out dead airtime at the beginning and end of the recordings.

With DVD playback on computers, your graphics card does matter as much as the CPU clockspeed. My computer is speedy enough even with an elderly 1.5 GHz processor but it made a big difference upgrading to a video card with 16 times the memory of my old card. The two DVD-Rs I had that acted up with playback (paused, then resumed playing on every machine they were played on) perform perfectly fine on my desktop after the video card upgrade.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Tom & Jerry: Chuck Jones Collection in June

Post by William » February 25th, 2009, 1:16 pm

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tom-Je ... tion/11388

TVShowsOnDVD.com reports that Warner Home Video will release "Tom & Jerry: The Chuck Jones Collection" on June 23rd.

The 2-disc set will include all 34 Chuck Jones-era "Tom & Jerry" shorts, plus two bonus documentaries.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 25th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Nice. Well, that's one less laserdisc set to gloat about having. :)

Many Tom & Jerry fans dismiss the Jones efforts, but... hey, it's Chuck Jones! I kinda like these shorts. Different, yes, but well made.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 25th, 2009, 10:16 pm

I love the hated 90's movie... but, I don't like the Chuck Jones era. :shock:

Yeah, I can pass on this. I'm as big T&J fan as the next guy, but these were always missing that special something. That, and I just never liked the artwork and character design in the first place. I remember when I used to watch a block of T&J years ago, I would always go "eww, the ugly ones" when this one would appear. Yes, I've tried giving them chances again, (funny enough they were on the telly earlier!) but I still don't like them very much. They're just not funny...

The promise of two bonus documentaries is intriguing though, but really, if I barely watch the T&J box sets that I have now - which I love - what good would this do me? Nice cover art though, finally depicting the cartoons perfectly. Oh well, I'm sure AH3RD is somewhat happy, if Warner can release this, then maybe they can release that 70's version he loves so much. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 25th, 2009, 11:24 pm

I'll check this one out and will probably own them, but I'm with Daniel. The Chuck Jones years just weren't my favorite.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » February 26th, 2009, 8:13 am

I find the Chuck Jones era of tom and jerry a bit werid. Some of the shorts were good..but hey better then the Gene Deitch era of tom and jerry...Am i right?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 26th, 2009, 9:55 am

They were what they were for the time. I don't think anyone was producing classic grade cartoons in the early 60s what with the threat of their units being closed down.

I'm happy these are coming to DVD, and in their own collection to boot, but while they aren't the best of the T&J efforts, they aren't the worst either. In fact, I'm quite fond of some of them.

I would, also, like to eventually count the Deitch cartoons among my collection: they were odd, very strange cartoons but at least a couple of them will always stick in my mind and having this handful would be neat. A single disc (or indeed an added bonus in this Chuck set, though it's too late) would do the trick and be appreciated.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » February 26th, 2009, 11:13 am

What I didnt like about the Detich era of tom and jerry because they were designed differntly. And it didnt last that long.{although there are a few of them that I liked} But however i did enjoy the music from the Detich era..