New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by James » January 1st, 2020, 12:21 pm

I read about that last week. I think Disney responded that there was some kind of problem with those movies and I guess they're being re-encoded or something like that. I'll see if I can find it again.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 1st, 2020, 12:26 pm

It may be that, but the threat of vaulting does remain. As I have previously posted in this thread:
Ben wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 4:10 am
I’m still pleased to have my DVD library of things to hand. And I’ll certainly continue to go for Blu-rays, both for a collecting sense and also in case they do start pulling "Disney Vault" tricks later down the line, or start swapping out transfers for updated/changed versions.
...and...
Ben wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 5:52 am
As for streaming and D+ in general, I agree that streaming is GREAT for discovering curios, but I did also say this to Rand in a recent email:

"I will continue to pick up Blus, especially the rare ones. I can just see them putting certain titles back into "the vault" on occasion, if even only temporarily, so that they can bring them back with fanfare to promote a new feature, or as a "season" of this or that, once the programming has become a little more routine and the service more everyday and taken for granted. Plus quality will still be better on disc for a long while yet and, at the end of the day, I just like me my packaged content!"

So that’s me in a nutshell (yeah, yeah, "no, this is me in a nutshell! Help! I’m in a nutshell!"). Streaming will be perfect for basically catching up with rare stuff (and more legit that other nefarious means) and new offerings, but I’ll continue to buy and own discs for those special titles that I’ll want to make sure remain "mine".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 1st, 2020, 12:46 pm

"I read about that last week. I think Disney responded that there was some kind of problem with those movies and I guess they're being re-encoded or something like that. I'll see if I can find it again"

OK that is much better. They should have said something before hand but if it's just for a small time i'm fine with that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 1st, 2020, 1:01 pm

Looks like some other stuff just got taken off this week too. Mostly Fox content and some Christmas stuff. Nothing that would draw people back if vaulted. I'm thinking this does look more like Disney is maybe rushing stuff out and then fixing it later. I know there are a lot of issues with The Simpsons too they said they need to correct but just threw up as is rather than launch without it.

Home Alone
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
The Sandlot
Dr. Dolittle
Flicka
The Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Strange Magic
The Wonderful World of Disney: Magical Holiday Celebration

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 1st, 2020, 4:42 pm

I'm guessing most of the holiday material is being taken off until next year, but not sure which category the Home Alones fit in--Are those being "vaulted" into the Fox Classics Vault for next year's disc sales?

I assume the same would be true for Dr. Dolittle (the Eddie Murphy version), in "blackout" preparation for the RDJ version next year...Still, you'd think they'd have gotten the Rex Harrison version back by now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 1st, 2020, 6:37 pm

Again, Disney have nothing to do with the RDJ film. They wouldn’t pull their titles in support of another studio's release!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 1st, 2020, 7:17 pm

And with it now being January 1st, the movie will be released this year. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 1st, 2020, 7:40 pm

Ben wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 6:37 pm
They wouldn’t pull their titles in support of another studio's release!
Although Fox does have a history of pulling their streaming/digital titles in support of their own troubled new-releases...F4ntastic Four, anyone?
Whether they'll still do that under Disney, remains to be seen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 1st, 2020, 8:41 pm

I don't know. Did Disney ever really say "the vault is gone!", or was that only ever wishful thinking/interpretation?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 1st, 2020, 9:48 pm

Yes they said they were retiring it but sounds like they are only going off Disney plus for a small time. So that's fine.

Also fantastic four rise of the surfer has been added to Disney plus in America along with bunch of stuff today.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 2nd, 2020, 1:50 am

EricJ wrote:
December 21st, 2019, 4:40 pm
I'm just happy to dig up the little-seen 90's Silver Surfer cartoon again--Ah, Thanos, when he was still a dangerously nutty bad-guy, and not some soulful proactive galactic activist...
:shock: whoa .. something I'd worked on is on Disney+..

I built a bunch of CG props and spacecraft for Saban's Silver Surfer .. including Thanos' skull-shaped command ship. It was a fun show to work on .. but, yes; very few people saw it, back when. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 2nd, 2020, 2:54 am

8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 2nd, 2020, 4:16 am

droosan wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 1:50 am
I built a bunch of CG props and spacecraft for Saban's Silver Surfer .. including Thanos' skull-shaped command ship. It was a fun show to work on .. but, yes; very few people saw it, back when. :)
Probably because it was originally shown on syndicated Sunday mornings on UPN, along with horrendous versions of Iron Man and F4, and a not-too-bad version of Incredible Hulk.

Didn't catch Silver Surfer: TAS until years later on Netflix, and yeah, it's pretty good. One of the few Marvel toons that can stand in X-Men:TAS's long shadow.
And more to the point, it's also with the rare lost Marvel cartoons on D+. Like Ben says: 8)
Last edited by EricJ on January 2nd, 2020, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » January 2nd, 2020, 8:19 am

Surfer aired on fox along with X-Men and Spider-Man and the one season avengers and spider-man unlimited! Hulk aired on upn and iron man and fantastic four aired in syndication.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 2nd, 2020, 12:38 pm

Yep, I remember watching on Fox. It was around the time I was losing interest in Power Rangers... which was also Saban's!