New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by gaastra » August 5th, 2020, 10:51 pm

It isn't that it's vod but that it's coming onto a netflix like service. It's what i said to start with. No one wants paid "dlc" on a netflix like app you are having to pay to get to start with. The campea video i posted had him say others have said the same thing to him. His poll again had 89% say they WON'T pay for it and others say "i'll just wait till it's free".

MANY don't want vod on disney plus at all. Others on youtube have done polls as well and most are saying no they won't buy it as well.

Megapodtastic even rants about it here. Strange to see him rant as he tends to not do that much.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 5th, 2020, 11:21 pm

I won't pay $30 to see it early, either, but it is nothing to get upset about. Like any other product, folks can choose to buy or not. Polls are one thing, but no emotional outbursts seem necessary. In fact, ranting about it seems pretty juvenile.

I look forward to watching it a few months later, or might even purchase a disc.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 5th, 2020, 11:25 pm

Dacey wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 9:17 pm
It being a D+ “only” offer means many would only be able to watch the movie on their phones or laptops...hardly ideal for a film of this budget and scale.
Not seeing the point here. Are there really people who only watch D+ on phones or laptops? Surely, it is available on most hardware platforms that other streaming services are?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 5th, 2020, 11:35 pm

gaastra wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 10:51 pm
It isn't that it's vod but that it's coming onto a netflix like service. It's what i said to start with. No one wants paid "dlc" on a netflix like app you are having to pay to get to start with. The campea video i posted had him say others have said the same thing to him. His poll again had 89% say they WON'T pay for it and others say "i'll just wait till it's free".

MANY don't want vod on disney plus at all. Others on youtube have done polls as well and most are saying no they won't buy it as well.
I have no issue with people who choose not to pay to watch it. I’m not going to!

But why does it matter what app Disney releases it through? Why can’t Disney have a single app that has both their streaming service and their premium vod offerings? All they need to do is add a single box to D+ that says “rentals” or something. Click that and you’re taken to a page with their current paid offerings. Don’t want to pay more, don’t click that box!

This argument feels as pointless to me as if people were complaining about D+ having original movies. “I don’t want straight-to-streaming movies, just give us the tv and theatrical releases.”

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 5th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Speaking for myself, our TV isn’t equipped for streaming, as it was on the losing side of the HD war (meaning it was intended for HD-DVD). And I have multiple friends with newer sets who also can’t watch Disney+ on their TVs and also watch it on their laptops since their TVs still aren’t “updated enough” to allow streaming. But I think another issue is that Netflix doesn’t have VOD content, and while it makes sense for Disney to want to make their money big, it still feels a tad overpriced for something Disney always advertised was going to remain affordable.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 6th, 2020, 12:31 am

Your TV was intended for HD-DVD? Sorry, but I don't see how that makes sense? TVs were made to be HD compatible, not HD-DVD compatible.

Having no access to streaming is not the same thing as complaining that something is D+ exclusive. If you can't stream, what does it even matter to you which service has the movie?!? Or are you only wishing for a disc? Because that has not been ruled out, and in fact seems likely to happen.

Not only TVs stream. Computers can hook up to TVs, or one can buy a streaming box. Any TV with an HDMI input would allow this, meaning any TV made in the last, oh, 15 years. Many options. I understand that not everyone can afford those things, but there are minimum buy-in requirements for any tech.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 6th, 2020, 12:39 am

Dacey wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 11:43 pm
...But I think another issue is that Netflix doesn’t have VOD content, and while it makes sense for Disney to want to make their money big, it still feels a tad overpriced for something Disney always advertised was going to remain affordable.
Disney also planned on not releasing films like Mulan on D+ until they had been in theatres for a few months, gone through pay-per-view, and then hit home video. Only after all that would D+ get their turn. Now people are upset that Disney is giving them the option to watch a movie like Mulan before all that. In fact some people seem to feel like they’re owed this (something they were never promised) because they’re paying their $6 a month.

I keep going back to this: if Disney were releasing Mulan through iTunes as a $30 video-on-demand (like Trolls 2 or Scoob), I assume we wouldn’t be having this conversation. So why is it different if Disney uses a different app to release it on? The only difference seems to be “well, they haven’t done it before”. iTunes didn’t used to have video rentals either. Now they do. Apps add features. Video rentals are optional.

Now If Disney were releasing titles intended to go to D+ (Like Lady and the Tramp) for an additional charge, I’d get the complaints. This though is basically just Disney shortening the theatrical window, something a lot of people have been asking for for years.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 6th, 2020, 1:11 am

Randall wrote:
August 6th, 2020, 12:31 am
Your TV was intended for HD-DVD? Sorry, but I don't see how that makes sense? TVs were made to be HD compatible, not HD-DVD compatible.
Any TV with an HDMI input would allow this, meaning any TV made in the last, oh, 15 years.
Yeah, I'm not following that either :?: , unless you mean there's no HDMI port, and that's a big problem after 2008.
Just about anything you CAN plug into a TV since then uses it, but since both disks played the same video, the wars were only over players, not displays.

Nowadays, you can stream services on an Amazon Firestick (if you've also got a USB port), a Roku or AppleTV box, or a PS4/X-Box, and a decent bit of Wi-Fi in the house (you don't have to use the cable company's), it's just a question of WHAT you subscribe to.
And whether D+ is worth it....ehh, YMMV. Depends on how many Blu-ray discs you bought in the 10's.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 6th, 2020, 2:48 am

I have a few 'HD' monitors (purchased around 2008-2009?) which have DVI connections, only; no HDMI port. But those were meant for DVD players and/or computers with DVI output.

---------------------

I'm about 10 months into my 'free' one-year trial of Disney+ (courtesy of Verizon Wireless) .. and, yeah; I don't see myself renewing. :|

I enjoyed The Mandalorian & (more recently) Hamilton, and also sampled some of the Disney TV cartoons that I didn't already own. But that's the thing; well over 90% of the content that I would watch on D+ is stuff that I already have on disc .. and access to the newer / 'exclusive' content just isn't worth the monthly fee (for me). I've occasionally gone a couple of months between 'viewing sessions' during my trial period, as it is.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 6th, 2020, 3:53 am

All I know is this news still isn't enough to make me sign up to Disney+. However having access to the Howard Ashman documentary is.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2020, 5:52 am

We haven’t run any D+ content since Hamilton, since I’ve been catching up with stuff saved up on other drives and discs.

My TV is six months out of date to be able to watch D+ on it, so it’s the dynamic choice between watching it on a massive screen in our cinema, or on my small screen iPad. I’m not spending fifty to a hundred quid on yet an additional box to make it work on my TV at the moment, especially when as Droo says, I pretty much own all the content I would mostly want to see already. The only thing I’m really looking forward to myself is the Howard doc as well.

But this Mulan thing is interesting, Why did they not charge for Artemis, but they want to charge for Mulan? Togo and Noel were both theatricals that went to D+, but they were included in the subs price. And that’s the thing: Disney+ is a VOD platform: you pay a monthly subscription to access that content, just as you would a one-off rental fee. But that sub, with a service like this, IS that rental fee. I don’t care how much a movie costs to make: if it is designated for premiering on D+, then it should be included in D+. If Disney wants to make this a digital premiere, let it go to all the usual VOD vendors, and give D+ users a discount for already paying to access the service, for which they should reasonably expect such content to turn up as part of that service anyway!

They’re really not being smart about this, from the way they are not going day and date with theatres that can show this, to the way too high price point...all because they’re in a desperate situation on a massively expensive film. And there’s the rub: it’s expensive because it exposes the seams between Disney+ content and "real" Disney content.

By rights, Artemis Foul should have gotten an OTT charge too, but it didn’t, because it was a slightly cheaper film to produce. But if Mulan was destined for D+ it would have had a much cheaper budget and been made within those constraints. It is, again, a shame that people will end up seeing a massive film, intended to be seen on a massive screen, on screens of anything from three inches to maybe 40 or 50 inches.

It’s a tough a situation, it really is. But this surprise and kneejerk reaction is not necessarily the best or right way to go, for Disney's own fortunes and for that of the business as a whole.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 6th, 2020, 7:33 am

OK. Let's say cinemax is part of your cable. You payed for cinemax. It cost extra. You also have cable on demand to rent movies as well. Now cinemax is gong to show a sports event or some new big movie. You go great. I payed for cinemax so i'm good. Cinemax then says "you want to watch it it will cost $30." You go "but everything else on your channel i don't have to pay extra for? Plus i'm paying extra to get your channel as is. Plus that's what pay per view is for?" Then after people do this cbs goes "they made tons of money! Want to watch the superbowl on cbs. Pay us $30."

People are paying for your service to get everything on your service and NOW we have to pay $30 to watch something on it?

That's why people are ticked. There's nothing wrong with you being fine with it but alot of people are not!

As for the no internet on your tv. Get roku or firestick for $20. We watch disney plus on our tv.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2020, 9:34 am

Cheapest firestick here is still fifty quid, which I don’t need to pay since we can watch via big screen or small. My point was that people, sadly, *do* watch this stuff on screens smaller than the average TV. Which devalues and demeans the likes of hugely crafted movies such as Mulan, where as much is spent on the small details you’ll never see as much as the big spectacle. Not everyone has big screen TVs or home theatres.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 6th, 2020, 10:31 am

OK done getting on the soupbox. No more mulan talk from me. Let's get to some news.

Info and look at new proud family series.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/new-detai ... ming-soon/

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/first-loo ... cter-maya/

Disney plus losing old dogs and muppets most wanted to hbo max.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/muppets-m ... tember-us/

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/old-dogs- ... bo-max-us/

Tots getting third season.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/t-o-t-s-r ... rd-season/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2020, 10:37 am

Okay, well Old Dogs is a load of old... anyway, but losing Muppets right now when they’re picking up again?

You know, I *specifically* subscribed to D+ *just* to be able to watch Muppets Most Wanted whenever I liked on whatever device I wanted! This is terrible! Now I have to keep subscribing to 'Flix too just for Muppets Most Wanted and in case more Disney things that I pay for Disney+ for might move there? With this on top of Mulan, I’m cancelling my D+ subscription!

Or I could just, you know, watch my Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray in better quality anyway... ;)