AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2019, 6:56 pm

The Black Cauldron says hi.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 24th, 2019, 12:55 pm

The Hollywood Reporter is now reporting the same. Just ain't right. Not a good year for Dumbo. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 24th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Daniel wrote:
April 21st, 2019, 3:15 pm
Evidently the "Jim Crow" scene in Dumbo will not be included on Disney+. If that's true, wow. Wrong on so many levels. :( To be ignored in the remake is one thing, but to go in and remove such a crucial scene (not to mention memorable song!) is tainting history. If they simply 'cut' it, it will definitely ruin the flow and cause confusion. A redub would likely be easier. Still dumb and pointless, but at least we would keep the crows...

Agree 100%. I mean I understand that they don’t want to offend people, and those stereotypes are certainly very dated, but as said the crows, (who actually had many positive characteristics as well) were a very important part of the story! :(

I mean just how the heck will Disney now explain where that magic feather came from! The crows’ scenes are vital, they’re the ones who had the knowledge and wisdom that all Dumbo needed was confidence in himself. They started out making fun of Dumbo but showed real character development when Timothy shames them by describing the actual trauma that Dumbo has been through. (Unlike those snobby elephant moms who also made fun of him, even being moms themselves, and never showed any sign of redemption for their cruelty.)

Every character in Classic Disney animated films is vital. They wouldn’t be there if there wasn’t a reason. For example, Lampwick in Pinocchio (who might seem like an incidental character at first) was a very important part of the plot; he’s very much the symbol of the “bad” (re: inexperienced and self-centered) nature that all children have, even if they don’t always act on it. That’s why even with his bratty and obnoxious nature, his “transformation” scene is utterly terrifying because so much of his behavior rings so true; all of us had a “Lampwick” inside of us as kids, even if we weren’t exactly like him. So like Pinocchio, other than the real sympathy we feel for Lampwick, there’s also the terror of: “That could have been me!” :shock:

So brilliant. Just like the crows’ presence in Dumbo. Taking them out of the film is the same as taking Lampwick out of Pinocchio, or Smee out of Peter Pan, or maybe even Jock and Trusty out of Lady and the Tramp. The result being a completely mangled, and inferior, work. :|
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 24th, 2019, 7:44 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 6:20 pm
I mean just how the heck will Disney now explain where that magic feather came from!
Maybe the Poochie way. Before we "see" the crows the screen freezes and we just hear selective audio. Or, since it's an old film, fade out and have text appear to explain the transition and the discovery of said feather. No way will Disney waste money creating new animation. Too much effort and most of all it would lead to another backlash. :?

Either way, I'm curious. This could rival anything 4Kids ever did!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 24th, 2019, 8:15 pm

LOL! :lol:

Roger Meyers Jr.’s voice:

“I have to go now. My planet needs me.”

(Poochy died on the way back to his home planet.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 25th, 2019, 4:06 am

He is never named "Jim Crow" in the film. Stay silent and it wouldn’t have even been mentioned.

Wait until they get to that Pinocchio remake and realise there’s a scene when the kids smoke. That’ll be gone next.

:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 25th, 2019, 11:19 am

As mentioned previously, this sort of thing is not without precedent in Disney's history. In addition to the edits to Make Mine Music and Melody Time (and perhaps actually more relevant to this Dumbo debate), there was the character 'Sunflower' from the "Pastoral Symphony" section of Fantasia .. who was undeniably an unfortunate racial stereotype, and actually was incidental to that film .. but was removed from the movie wayyy back in 1969, so she never appeared in any home video releases of Fantasia.

And that's gonna be the problem for Disney, if they cut the crows outright .. since not only are they crucial to the story, but (as gaastra pointed out), there are 36+ years' worth of VHS tapes, Laserdiscs, DVDs & Blu-rays of Dumbo that do feature the crows .. and that version is known (and loved) by a large percentage of the existing audience.

Not to mention, they'd be taking what is already their shortest animated feature .. and making it even shorter..! :|

If the objection is the fact that they are blackbirds .. perhaps the animation could be revised to make them blue jays, or some other type of bird..? If the voice performances are what is deemed offensive, perhaps those could be re-recorded. But TBH, any change Disney+ makes to Dumbo is bound to be hated, whether it is well-done, or not .. and probably even whether it is appropriate, or not. :?
Last edited by droosan on April 25th, 2019, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 25th, 2019, 12:15 pm

and, as Ben said .. an unskippable Leonard Maltin 'disclaimer' was apparently enough to get past these issues, on the Walt Disney Treasures DVD sets. I'm not sure why that wouldn't work just as well, for streaming video. Just sayin'. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 25th, 2019, 1:29 pm

'xactly! ;)

Also, not to nitpick, but Saludos Amigos is categorised as a feature and only runs around 43 minutes, beating Dumbo by around a half hour. :)

But, yes, that doesn’t change your point!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 25th, 2019, 1:44 pm

oops .. yep; forgot about Saludos Amigos (but I do often pair it with The Three Caballeros, so it seems longer) .. :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 25th, 2019, 2:42 pm

Also the 2011 Winnie the pooh film was 63 min!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 25th, 2019, 8:40 pm

droosan wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 12:15 pm
and, as Ben said .. an unskippable Leonard Maltin 'disclaimer' was apparently enough to get past these issues, on the Walt Disney Treasures DVD sets. I'm not sure why that wouldn't work just as well, for streaming video. Just sayin'. :wink:
And a simple non-smoking PSA on the DVD's was good enough for Pinocchio's cigar, Cruella deVille's cigarette holder, and Captain Hook's double-cigar holder.
ShyViolet wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 6:20 pm
or maybe even Jock and Trusty out of Lady and the Tramp.
Oh, c'mon, kids never asked when those puppies happened, or why Lady was so angry about Tramp's old girlfriends!
Ben wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 1:29 pm
'xactly! ;)
Also, not to nitpick
...Oh, HEAVENS no! When have you ever dragged the conversation to a screeching halt by pointlessly nitpicking?? :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 25th, 2019, 8:52 pm

droosan wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 11:19 am
there was the character 'Sunflower' from the "Pastoral Symphony" section of Fantasia .. who was undeniably an unfortunate racial stereotype, and actually was incidental to that film .. but was removed from the movie wayyy back in 1969, so she never appeared in any home video releases of Fantasia.
Sad, really. Here's a comparison vid for anyone curious:

Aside from the carpet unrolling by itself, it's a pretty seamless removal. Gives an idea of the route Disney might go to...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 26th, 2019, 4:47 am

I’ll have to check my bootleg VHS to see what version of the print it contains. Pretty certain it’s the full uncut one, from an earlier 35 mm print, not an official release.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 26th, 2019, 5:05 am

EricJ wrote:
April 25th, 2019, 8:40 pm
HEAVENS no! When have you ever dragged the conversation to a screeching halt by pointlessly nitpicking?? :lol:
Just going back the last five years: Oct. 24 2015 (probably about BTTF), Nov 14 2015, Jan 5 2016, Mar 8 2016, Apr 19 2016, Jun 15 2016, Jul 26 2016, Sep 19 2016, Dec 4 2016, Feb 31 2017, Apr 6 2017, May 18 2017, Jun 7 2017, Aug 7 2017, Sep 21 2017, Nov 28 2017, Jan 22 2018, Mar 6 2018, Jul 19 2018, Oct 16 2018, Dec 18 2018, Feb 4 2019, Mar 12 2019 and, of course, Apr 25 2019.

Not to be pernickety.