New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Ben » February 12th, 2022, 10:49 am

Yes, they did. Obviously saner heads got together and they realised they had shows that had run their course, and Marvel wanted them back. I would imagine that Marvel has paid back production costs, or at least a buyout for whatever value Netflix thought they had left.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 12th, 2022, 3:24 pm

Namely, the iconography of using Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio, that's IT.
Otherwise, the entire MNU canon was based on the alternate "deconstructive" Frank Miller canon of Daredevil--to avoid stepping on any rights from the comic-canon Ben Affleck film--where Daredevil didn't have radioactive sonar senses, he had just trained real hard.
Like the Tom Holland Spiderman, two not-quite adaptations may get a third-time's-the-charm "real" Marvel-approved reboot by the time MCU gets around to using it, where they can concentrate on getting the details right, and then they can skip over the origin we've seen twice by now.

In other D+ news, got around to watching "The [70's] Mouseketeers at Disney World" Wonderful World TV episode, in preparation for a summer vacation (ah, the vintage shots of pre-Eisner Contemporary Resort, and archival footage of River Country and Discovery Island), and...I'm not quite sure where Disney got their source print, but the version on D+ has all the 1977 commercial breaks included. :? I suspect a third-party source may have had to provide the Disney Archive with theirs.
Maybe this was mentioned earlier, but after watching the angry-Millennial shenanigans of recent insurance companies like Geico and Progressive flooding my PlutoTV, and the off-topic "teaser" plugs for next Sunday's rampantly overproduced Super Bowl ads, I cannot describe how refreshing it was to see old housewife-era commercials that actually SOLD us Shake & Bake and Pillsbury cake mix.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 18th, 2022, 3:26 am

Dropping today:

🇺🇸:
Marvel Studios: Assembled - The Making of Eternals 🌎
The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse - Season 2 🌎
X/onerated: The Murder of Malcolm X and 55 Years to Justice
Screen Queens Rising
Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures
Science of Stupid
Lost Treasures of Egypt - Season 3

🇬🇧:
Big Sky - Episode 7 (Season 2)
The Wonder Years - Episode 9
Queens – Episode 5
Pam & Tommy – Episode 5
Resident - Episode 5 (Season 5)
Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir – Episode 15-20 (Season 4)
Mira, Royal Detective - Episode 1-10 (Season 2)
One Mississippi - Season 1-2
Rel - Season 1
Europe From Above - Season 2
Buried Secrets of Cordoba
Jade Eyed Leopard
Predator
Predator 2
Blackpink The Movie
The French Dispatch

🇨🇦:
Snowdrop – New Episodes
Mrs. America - Mini series
Mr. Inbetween - Season 1-2
Spin
High Fidelity
The King's Man

🇦🇺:
Single Drunk Female - New Episode
Our Kind of People - Finale
Abbot Elementary - Premiere
Ahneun Hyungnim (Men on a Mission) – New Episode
This Is Us - New Episode (Season 6)
Filthy Rich - Season 1
World’s Deadliest - Season 3
Rookie Cops - New Episodes
Dollface - New Episode (Season 2)

Already watched The French Dispatch, Ben? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2022, 4:03 am

This weekend, Dan! ;)

After that…who knows the future of my D+ subscription… We just don’t really watch enough of it, or there isn’t really the stuff we want to see or can’t catch elsewhere (I got Encanto on disc, and will likely get King's Man, and probably Dispatch…when it inevitably and eventually hits Criterion), or we just don't get the time to watch all the stuff still to see (Only Murders, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Shang Chi, Eternals, Bloba Fatt…), and to be honest doesn’t much entice, plus work has been picking up — I did four 16 hour days this week alone — finally, and I’m nodding off at night whenever I sit down to catch anything.

And D+ just emailed to say that when our August sub turns over they now want £80/$110 per year, well over the £50/$65 it was 18 months ago. That’s a heck of a price rise for a "starter member" (how about locking in loyal subs at a fair price, eh?) and just feels greedy. They should keep long-timers at a lower, carrot-baiting price, so that we stay and new subs see the benefit of keeping a suv instead of "churning", which we may end up doing. After all, if they’re not going to benefit long-timers then I may as well wait for downtime moments and just pay a few quid/bucks for a couple of months' worth once or twice a year…

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 18th, 2022, 4:30 am

I've tried to get around to my two year backlog of Raya, Luca, Encanto, Black Widow, Shang-Chi, the upcoming Turning Red, and (ick) Eternals--

But in preparation for "X-Men '97", I followed the lead of one YouTuber who tried to explain how Fox's '94 Spider-Man (which I never watched back in the day since the animation looked hideously computer-cheap) was produced at the same time as X-Men:TAS and tried to follow the same geek-faithful serialized lead in creating reverently canonical classic-Marvel season arcs.
I discovered the poster was exactly right, and now I'm in a daily episode binge. The new stuff can wait. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 18th, 2022, 7:02 am

Yes! Another friday. Time to watch the classic disney cartoons, disneyland episodes and classic pre 90s disney movies dropped today! Let's g-- Oh. It's the lego show that's been on there and they yanked off just to put it right back on as "new".

Oh.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 18th, 2022, 8:21 am

The great thing about streaming services is there is no pressure! Unlike cable where we were locked into contracts, you can jump in and out of streaming services at any time. So instead of stressing out about costs or lack of time, cancel the ones you don’t watch enough then treat them like on-demand offerings. Got a weekend free and want to watch Shang-chi? Pay the $8, watch it, then immediately cancel. It’s not that much more than a single on demand movie and you get to keep the service for the rest of the month.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2022, 4:59 pm

This is what I am probably leaning to. The only thing is not being able to keep login details, I don’t think, which would be cool. It would be neat if you could reactivate a sub as and when without setting up a profile every time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 18th, 2022, 8:03 pm

You can, the account is not being deleted, only the subscription is being cancelled.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2022, 8:43 pm

Oh, great, well then, it’s a no brainer! Thanks, Dan! Goodbye Disney+ (well, at the, er, end of August. Might even have caught up on the stuff I want to see by then)!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 19th, 2022, 2:21 am

Yeah, I can even scan my watch lists on a service like Criterion Channel, I just can't watch 'til I re-subscribe.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 23rd, 2022, 8:47 pm

It's official! Canada is getting the Marvel Netflix shows on Disney+ in March. No word yet on the US and other regions.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 23rd, 2022, 9:30 pm

My guess is hulu for america. No R rated stuff on our disney plus.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2022, 3:19 am

I again think Hulu will fold into D+ the same as the world over, and be rebranded as Star when they do so. It makes sense. At the moment they have to produce two sets of promos, key arts, etc, so they can make a huge saving there. I reckon this may happen by the end of this year, perhaps an announcement around "Disney+ Day".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 24th, 2022, 7:17 am

Nope nbc or universal (forget the one) co owns hulu plus all the live tv networks contracts so no getting rid of hulu at least for 3 or more years! Plus hulu is getting great subs for them.

Disney might make a adult area for disney plus but hulu stays put till disney fully owns it.