AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Daniel » February 19th, 2021, 5:41 pm

"Acrobatty Bunny"! :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Although it would be better if it had been called Acrobatty Bundle... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2021, 8:14 am

Yay! Donut know if it’s the same for other "early adopters", but D+ is renewing in the UK to existing annual subscribers for the same £59.99 deal for the next twelve months. So we'll be keeping Mickey Marvel & Co for a while longer, with the addition of the 20th Century-y Star tile next week.

Still can’t get it on our not-so "smart" TV, so it’s either very small iPad screen or very huge theatre screen, although most of what we have watched has been in the cinema anyway. I’ll probably start watching some of the more "TV"ish offerings on the pad to nod off to in bed, but, anyway, that’s quite decent of them to keep people locked in with a sensible deal.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 20th, 2021, 10:12 am

Having just renewed in November, we'll be covered 'til next November. Looking forward to seeing what pops up on Star, though I don't have time to fully enjoy what's already on there as it is.

I'm sure we'll be keeping D+ going forward anyhow. With new Marvel shows coming out every week, it's worth it for me already, and I also enjoy a lot of the other content (as time allows).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2021, 11:21 am

I’d likely sub in future, if we don’t keep it permanently, but would likely be a "churn user", where one subs for a month or two to catch up, then let’s it go for a while. I still have a bunch to catch up on so it’s still worth it, but not quite if they had hiked the price by quite a lot.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 20th, 2021, 2:35 pm

Think that's pretty much going to be the feature of streaming, where services:
A) ignore their vintage libraries to the point of stagnation (like HBOMax does, too), and
B) put all their eggs in the New Hyped Original Series basket, causing audiences to jump on for NO other reason than to binge the series, be done with it, and move on to the next service's big moneymaker. (Not that modern streaming audiences even would know most of the vintage library enough to stick around.)
Basically reducing the "digital future" to what it used to be: A rental market.

Which means networks will have to go back to doing what D+ did for WandaVision to string out their hype:
Release episodes one or two per week, just like networks used to do, in our, ick...parents' days of network TV, back before the Golden Age! :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2021, 3:57 pm

But then...you just wait for a show to be all on there and *then* binge...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 20th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Some do. (I don't.)
When Netflix's all-at-once series, like their MST3K reboots, would premiere, fans would say--a day later--"Okay, I just finished it, let's talk about how cool it is! :D "

A new generation's aging-childhood fascination with getting to have everything their parents wouldn't give them has created a mindset where there is literally NO OTHER way of watching a series they're excited about. To binge is to watch, and to watch is to binge, and no one would ever be in a state of not knowing how the finale came out.
And then to demand the next season right away, or just go away and do something else until it arrives. That's the part that's going to frustrate some services hoping that longterm-regular addicted subscriber money will subsidize all those other hyped new Original series.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2021, 8:17 pm

No, we had that conversation already. Binging is bad.

I’m talking about taking up a limited time one or two month sub to catch up on shows, maybe watching one or two a week when a show is available, rather than having to spend on a year to watch two month's worth of shows.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 21st, 2021, 12:47 am

That's what I was talking about too:
The more that services hype a cult-of-personality over one big expensive original series (ahembabyyoda) to be the brand leader, the more that viewers used to trendy cult instant-gratification will show up to watch THAT in one big scarf, and then leave to forage for the next big thing elsewhere until the larder is full again.

A drug addict doesn't let his pusher say "I've got good stuff for you NEXT month, if you can wait..."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 21st, 2021, 1:46 am

Well I officially caved and signed up to Disney+ today to take advantage of the pay the current yearly price before we jack up the price when Star is added on Tuesday. Crazy thing is if Disney had kept Love, Victor on + before dumping it on Hulu they would have taken more money off me by now.

Anyway, the first thing I watched was the animated Beauty and The Beast. And now about to start WandaVision - the other series I signed up to watch. I'll explore what else tickles my fancy after I've finished the two series I signed up for.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 21st, 2021, 1:53 pm

Disney finally got you! ;)

Was also looking forward to "Love, Victor". Liked the movie it's spun off of. From the previews it looks like Victor has it easier. There's also a connection to "Love, Simon" so that's pretty cool. Enjoy Bill!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2021, 2:30 pm

Since the Hulu stuff is making it to Star around the world, is there a chance you might still be able to see Victor? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 21st, 2021, 2:48 pm

That's one of titles confirmed for launch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 21st, 2021, 10:38 pm

Kaye ballard episode of the muppet show has been cleared and has been added to disney plus!

Europe is missing the john denver episode due to music rights. Wizard of oz song is keeping the brooke shields episode from release as well as the muppets go to the movies special!

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/muppet-sh ... des-songs/