New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2020, 3:56 am

The same with Aladdin and B&TB, both of which were very different films before their "black days" halted production and changed course completely. Almost every animated film goes through this process. The only slightly lamentable thing about The Sweatbox is that it highlighted this and suggests that there's this "alternate version" of the film. It’s just the way it goes...these films go through vast story, character, casting e changes (King Of The Jungle, anyone!?) on the way to the screen.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 11th, 2020, 4:43 am

I'll have to watch that Frozen II documentary (er, the next time I decide to get a month of D+ on a whim), since I'm not up on the stories of alternate versions or abandoned storylines--

I was of the opinion that while F2 wasn't a well thought-out sequel, and had the same Jennifer-meddling that Ralph 2 had, it actually benefitted from not being a linear sequel to the first Frozen, and wandering off-topic.
As some pointed out, what we got in F2 was more a Brave sequel than a Frozen sequel, but then I was pretty much dreading a straight Frozen sequel based on the first film. Not a great movie, but serendipitously dodged a bullet.
The same with Aladdin and B&TB, both of which were very different films before their "black days" halted production and changed course completely. Almost every animated film goes through this process.
A quick check of deleted storyboards on Monsters Inc. or the first Wreck-It Ralph shows wildly different abandoned story ideas, and most of them we can be pretty glad to see go.
An exception might be the original plot of "The Good Dinosaur", which wouldn't have been new ground for Pixar, but a lot more coherent than the unholy mess they ran to the finish line with.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 11th, 2020, 7:14 am

Farerb wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 6:46 am
You can find the Sweatbox on YouTube:

I'll try to look for Dream On, Silly Dreamer. It sounds interesting.
I actually own Dreamer from iTunes, but I downloaded it quite a few years ago, (2007) and apparently it’s not for sale or rent anymore. (Kinda makes sense since the whole Super-post-Eisner-Brave New World Disney image hadn’t been completely forged yet when I purchased it.). I actually haven’t watched it since then, but it’s a very interesting doc not only because of the subjects’ candor, but the traditionally animated sequences of the “dreamer” (child artist) are awesome!! :)

I guess that’s another reason this short is harder to find now, since it doesn’t exactly sing CGI Animation’s praises. (Although in all fairness, it does make the case that the saturation of traditionally animated “Broadway” musicals a la Hunchback of Notre Dame/Hercules/Pocahontas were also a factor in Walt Disney Feature Animation’s downsizing.)

NOTE: Dreamer was made in 2004 and came out in 2005, about one year before Pixar took over. WDFA/WDAS was a very different landscape then, no pun intended. This becomes clearer when you watch the short. I hope you’re able to find it! :). I imagine it must be available somewhere.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 14th, 2020, 1:52 am

Lego Star Wars Holiday Special coming to D+?

Okay, I actually want to see that!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 14th, 2020, 8:27 am

Roger rabbit short "roller coaster rabbit" has been removed from the shorts and is stuck in the roger rabbit extras again.

Today--

Greatest showman
Magic camp
Zombies 2
Ant-man and the wasp
Alaska animal rescue s1
Indias wild leopards
Jungle animal rescue s1
Nature boom time s1
Sams zookeeper challenge s1
Scuba sams world s1
Spaced out s1
tots s1
Tots calling all tots s1
Wild cats of india s1

Have been added.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 14th, 2020, 2:36 pm

"Magic Camp" - yet another movie that was originally scheduled for the big screen. I had forgotten about it. Probably for the best.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 14th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Sadly, Magic Camp was once destined as a major Steve Martin movie. He even wrote the original script, though I don’t know if this is even still his version or if he retains any story or screenplay credit,

Fairly ironic that they’ve released it today on his 75th birthday though. Not sure if that’s a little nod, or a dig!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 14th, 2020, 5:46 pm

Thanks everyone for your insights into if Kingdom of the Sun could technically be created from the ashes. You confirmed what I was thinking but really appreciate the inside knowledge.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 14th, 2020, 9:02 pm

Edit--old news.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 15th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Disney+ May Bring More Films to Premier Access
https://thedisinsider.com/2020/08/15/di ... er-access/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 15th, 2020, 4:47 pm

Oh, no, that will *never* happen...it’s a "one off", right? ;)

:(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 16th, 2020, 7:52 pm

"One time thing" huh?

From another site---

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 17th, 2020, 12:57 am

That answer is confusing. It sounds like people need to pay only once to have "premiere access" while I'm sure it's going to be 30$ per movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 17th, 2020, 5:16 am

Yes, it’s per movie.

And wait until you want to see the next Endgame or Star Wars at $40...!

But, you know, it’s okay, because you "own" them...until you cancel your D+ subscription. Do you get them back if you subscribe again? Probably not. Suckers! Disney has you all nice and beholden to them forever more... Mmmmmwwwwaaaahayahahahahahahahahaaaaaarrrr.....!

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 17th, 2020, 9:08 am

Oh noes! Disney is releasing movies on demand! What is this new service? You rent movies and then don’t get to watch them again? That’s outrageous!!!

What’s that?

Movies on demand have been around for decades you say? You didn’t get to watch them after your rental window ended before either? This is nothing new just a new company offering it up on their own platform? And Disney is allowing for a much longer potential rental window than on demand usually allows?

It’s still an outrage! How dare Disney force me to pay extra for this thing I don’t want!!!

What’s that?

It’s totally optional, you say? I’m not forced to pay anything extra unless I choose to?

It’s still an outrage! Now it will take months after a film is released for it to come to the regular subscription side of Disney+!!!

What’s that? It always took months after a film was released for it to come out on streaming services, you say? Films will also be available on demand sooner than ever before for those that want them?

It’s still an outrage! How dare Disney not give me something to be outraged about!!!