New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by EricJ » October 6th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella was left over from the beginning of the Live-Action Remake days, when their first big concept was "Signature remakes" by famous directors, who would put their "own unique spin" on classic Disney lore...And became pretty much the first, last, and only good example of what they were setting out to do.
(And Ben liked Tim Burton's Dumbo, so there's no point in making a joke about that. And, Guy Ritchie didn't really have a clue what to do with Aladdin, so sorry, Disney, he didn't turn it into Aladdin Holmes.)

And then Jon Favreau's Jungle Book made a mint, and so did Bill Condon's traced-over Beauty & the Beast, and they thought, "Eh, screwit, let's just sell the titles and leave a March slot open".
While Pete's Dragon had a new concept but no signature director, which left them open to the old Vidquel idea of making throwaway remake-commercials for old B and C-titles.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 6th, 2020, 8:02 pm

I forgot about the Pete's Dragon remake. I also really enjoyed that one. That and Cinderella are what I would recommend my friends to watch out of all the remakes. I guess I could throw in Alice In Wonderland but then that really is more of a sequel to the animated movie than a remake. I still need to see Malificent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 9th, 2020, 8:00 am

This week--

X-men 2
Narnia 3
Right stuff ep 1 and 2
Oil spills of the century
Wild portugal

That's it. No disney halloween treat, watcher in the woods, child of glass or something wicked this way comes for halloween.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 9th, 2020, 10:18 am

We still have three weeks!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 9th, 2020, 6:50 pm

I believe this is the first time The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has ever been made available in its original theatrical aspect ratio.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 9th, 2020, 7:38 pm

Quite ironic that Disney let that series slip and then got it back under Fox. That’s exactly the kind of thing that D+ should be continuing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 10th, 2020, 7:20 pm

Ben wrote:
October 9th, 2020, 7:38 pm
Quite ironic that Disney let that series slip and then got it back under Fox. That’s exactly the kind of thing that D+ should be continuing.
And, speaking of Dawn Treader, that's EXACTLY the reason they should be rebooting it as a look-at-our-neato-CGI-budget streaming miniseries.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 10th, 2020, 8:10 pm

So...what I just said, then.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 10th, 2020, 10:17 pm

Ben wrote:
October 10th, 2020, 8:10 pm
So...what I just said, then.
Nnn-nooo, you made it sound more like Dawn Treader WASN'T an unholy steaming mess that needed a change of producers and a do-over before they tried tackling "The Silver Chair".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2020, 4:38 am

Actually, I didn’t name check Dawn Treader at all.

Point was that now they have all the Narnias back in one place, they could build on that, continue with the stories, and maybe make something that could be a big deal for D+.

I didn’t make any comment about how any of the films (none of which have lived up to the books for me anyway) were good or bad, just that they have an opportunity...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 11th, 2020, 8:06 am

Except that right before the merger fox gave up the narnia rights! Netflix owns them now so disney can't make anymore unless they team up with netflix! Netflix has the rights.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1223947/news

It is ironic disney ended up with the third movie anyway.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2020, 10:22 am

Ahh, well, then that totally blows that idea out of the water! 'Flix would likely now just start all over again...and do them properly!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 11th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Or at least not grim, dank, overproduced CGI reels, like HBO did with their His Dark Materials do-over.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 12th, 2020, 3:52 am

I quite liked His Dark Materials. I admit the episodes that were covered by the movie dragged a little for me but once they got past the movie I was hooked again and looking forward to the 2nd season to watch the story unfold.