AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by gaastra » August 6th, 2020, 10:42 am

Lol.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 6th, 2020, 10:45 am

Everyone paying for D+ knew exactly what they were paying for: tv shows, direct-to-video quality original movies, old movies, and new movies months after their release. Everyone is still getting that today.

If Covid hadn’t happened, and Mulan was about to open in theatres, and Disney announced, “we’re also going to allow D+ members to watch Mulan at home on opening day for $30”, would people be complaining that it should be included for free with their subscription? That’s almost exactly what is happening here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 6th, 2020, 2:01 pm

If only there was that choice!

Betcha the majority of people would say, "thanks, nice, but for the same price as a couple of tickets, I’d rather a night out at the movies and see it on the big screen".

I would also say that D+ movies should and need to be better than DTV fare, since Netflix's appeal is megabudget films that could play in theatres. And, to be fair, what we've seen from D+'s original film fare has been way above DTV quality, though I’m not counting Artemis Foul since that was a clear switch. But L&TT and Togo have been clear theatre worthy productions and not typical of the Disney Channel type stuff many feared at first.

But then thats also why Mulan is unique...whatever the budget, a Disney+ movie is a Disney+ movie. Netflix didn’t ask us to pony up $30 for The Irishman, and that was way up there in terms of Mulan's budget, and likely more. And their big films are up there with Artemis' $125m. Hamilton cost them $75m+ to play on the service, so why is Mulan different and why should Disney be asking for OTT* payment to watch?

* By the way, when I keep saying OTT, I am not saying OTT as in "this is way over the top" in a disgruntled way. OTT is an industry term meaning a service provided that is up and over the already paid for service subscription. Just to clarify that. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 6th, 2020, 7:32 pm

To clarify what I said from earlier, when I say our TV was meant for HD-DVD, I mean it was specifically intended for 720p, rather than Blu-ray’s 1080hp. In fact, since our TV has no HDMI cable, we’re only able to hook a Blu-Ray player up through “cheating” with our cables and of course don’t get to watch the film in it’s full HD capacity. This was especially apparent when we got Coraline (our first Blu-ray) and the special features (which were done in 720p) looked better than the actual movie did on our TV. Suffice it to say, streaming on it is out of the question with no HDMI outlet to hook a Roku (or whatever they are called) into, and it’s a 34 inch set as well, so extremely average as far as size goes. As for having Mulan available as a standard VOD release, yes, that would actually benefit us, as we could then watch the movie via Xfinity On Demand on our TV. But Disney doesn’t want that, as D+ ensures they get 100% of the profits, and no wonder theater owners are worried about this decision with Disney having that incentive going forward.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 6th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Just to clarify: HD-DVD was 1080 as well. The first player was 1080i, but later players were 1080p.

And if one really wanted to hook up HDMI, there are converters available for various inputs. For my HD-DVD player, I had to use a HDMI-to-DVI converter. But you can even go HDMI to RCA, though you would lose quality.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2020, 3:25 am

(Post accidentally deleted by Dacey.)

Basically, I explained how he was getting confused with HD Ready, an early 720 format. 1080 came along later and was marketed as Full HD.

I added some detail on how early BDs had a gold Full HD logo on them and some other bits. In trying to reply, below, he’s somehow managed to wipe this message away!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 7th, 2020, 4:20 am

Yeah; one of the monitors I was referring to is a Samsung 720p TV/monitor, which I still use with my Oppo 'multi-region' DVD player (via a DVI connector). It was a huge upgrade from watching DVDs on CRTs or 480p LCD sets using 's-video' connectors; and still looks gorgeous to this day (it's just a 17" screen, though). It also has a coaxial input for use with (standard def) cable TV .. but I haven't had cable in almost seven years, now.

The other two 'DVI-only' monitors I have are 1080p .. but don't have built-in TV tuners; they're primarily meant for use with computers. I use them with my older rig (built about 10 years ago) .. but since they don't have a native HDMI connection, they're not compatible with most newer computers & electronics. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 7th, 2020, 7:54 am

Sigh. I want to stop talking about mulan and it keeps making the news. And not in a good way.

First before that here are todays releases.

Howard
X-men
Peanuts movie
Prince of persia
Hidden kingdoms of china
Star wars galaxy edge adventure awaits
UFO europe untold stories s1

have been added.

Disney plus will lose old dogs and muppets most wanted to hbo max and iron man armored adventures to netflix.

As for mulan. Disney got the ok from american chains to put it vod but overseas movies are open and needed mulan to help. Any country that has disney plus will NOT get a big screen release for mulan. UK, france, japan, etc are all screwed. Disney head said this was to get more people to get disney plus.

Now those overseas chains are ticked at disney. They feel betrayed. China chain destroys mulans display over it. Disney did not make many friends over this overseas.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/cinema-ow ... y-release/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 7th, 2020, 9:02 am

On more happy news, Mandalorian season 2 trailer may be coming soon.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/star_ ... #gs.c8mxlw

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 7th, 2020, 12:56 pm

But, I think this is what Dacey must be getting at...?
Yes, that's correct. :) Sorry for the confusion on my part. Seems I got mixed up in terms of my definitions on hi-definition.

But we did, needless to say, end up choosing "the wrong time" to buy a new television (late 2003), which was frightfully expensive as well (more than $2,000). It was sold to us as "the best that's out there" when we bought it.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Yes, early adopters got screwed on both HD Ready, and the first smart TVs,,,

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » August 8th, 2020, 3:15 am

I watched Howard and it was great and emotional and sad. I recommend it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 8th, 2020, 6:36 pm

Sounds like a spiritual sequel to Waking Sleeping Beauty. Looking forward to seeing it eventually.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 8th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Is Waking Sleeping Beauty on Disney+?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 8th, 2020, 6:50 pm

Yep.