New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by gaastra » September 5th, 2020, 10:25 pm

The Muppets, muppets most wanted (soon) and iron man armored adventures are now on netflix. And disney plus! Looks like a deal was made to share them on both!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 6th, 2020, 10:49 am

Streaming agreements are not always exclusive. Some things appear on multiple services. And, of course, some rights are shared to start with. On home video, Armored Adventures was distributed by another company (the French outfit Vivendi is what's listed on the DVD case, but perhaps another company was involved). Going forward, it will be interesting to see just how much licensing Disney ends up doing with the other services.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 8th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Well it worked. Expect more $30 films now.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/mulan-cau ... downloads/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 8th, 2020, 8:07 pm

gaastra wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 7:43 pm

It's still just the novelty: We didn't rent anything but Trolls, Scoob and Invisible Man, because those were the ones we were told we COULD rent, so there was the trendy burst of "Hey, get me, I'm enjoying socially distanced '20 entertainment!", without it having enough non-trend appeal to be an actual longrun alternative.

Mulan is more in that "Look, I'm doing one o' them 'home premiere' thingies!" category than the business for Tenet or Bill & Ted, which actually did have an audience that wanted or had to circumvent the theaters.
Assuming we get Marvel's Black Widow next, it's a bit of both, but more the former: The only people who wanted to pay the $30, instead of being longtime D+ subscribers waiting for December, were the female fans who thought a Mulan movie "symbolized" something neato.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 8th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Regardless, it appears that there were lots of folks who weren't all that upset with the new Premiere Access plan after all. Disney certainly looks like a winner on this one, at least in the short term. Their stock price is back to pre-pandemic levels.

(Which is separate from the issue of whether there should have been a USA/Europe theatrical release, which of course there should have been, however scaled back it may have been.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » September 9th, 2020, 1:23 am

gaastra wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 7:43 pm

I might not share this disappointment. I rather have the films like that than the films being postponed and not have them at all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 9th, 2020, 5:10 am

Mulan actually registered less of a D+ subs spike than Hamilton did, though...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 9th, 2020, 7:37 am

Looking at it more your right. The only reason it's on plus was not to make money but get more people to sign up to disney plus (then make money). The ceo said so himself. When a free movie gets more subs that's a fail.

I take that back. This failed at what they wanted. Hamilton did better and it was free!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 9th, 2020, 9:32 am

But doesn't that make sense? Sure, a free event film will generate more interest than one with extra pay involved.

But with Mulan, they had a huge uptick in subs, PLUS got paid 30 bucks extra for Mulan. I doubt that they are too displeased with that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 9th, 2020, 9:44 pm

But a lot of those new subs were signing up just to watch Mulan and may not stick around. It seems, from the info I’m hearing, that it wasn’t hugely picked up on by the people who *already* have D+, which isn’t good, really, when Hamilton did actually lead to a spike in subs where that sub *included* the movie people were basically signing up for (and, as such, a good portion of already D+ subs then watched as part of the service).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 11th, 2020, 7:24 am

Added this week---

Christoper robin

That's it!

Other countries get--

Spies in disguise

That's it. No cartoon shorts to add more? Nope. One movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 11th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Look on the bright side..at least Rewards/Insiders promises to buck its ideas up this week...!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 11th, 2020, 4:01 pm

We've decided to begin rotating our streaming services. I love 'em all, but can only watch so much TV in a given month. And with kids schooling again (albeit at home), they'll have less time for watching, too.

So... With my daughter's student account, we get Prime for about $4/month. We'll keep that going. I still have lots to watch there.

But soon, we shall rest Disney+ (once our year is up in November) and Netflix (when this month ends). I also just dropped Criterion Channel, which is wonderful, but there's only so much time in a month for it. I do plan to start each up again later, but only for a month or two at a time, and just one at a time.

I figure we may start up D+ again when the Marvel shows start up.

In the meantime, lord knows that I have tons of discs to still watch.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 13th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Well, I'm in for three year's worth of D+, so that's gonna stay. :mrgreen:

We're using my brother's account for Netflix and I'm paying for Hulu and my copy of Amazon Prime. Through my Hulu, my brother hooked us up on HBO Max.

And millions of hours of programming that continue to sit on our watchlists. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 15th, 2020, 10:37 am

Here we go.

Next month!