New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by gaastra » October 11th, 2023, 11:52 am

Streaming sites like vudu have been selling classic disney films and disneyland episodes not on plus for years!

Tons of pre 80s disney films that have never been on plus you can get on vudu right now.

Disney still has not put them on disney plus. Many are remastered! Others dvd quality only.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2023, 12:24 pm

I wonder if agreements prevent those from coming to D+ yet, then?

Obviously going the other way is a different thing, as they’re new titles without pre-existing agreements in place. Sadly no Vudu here… :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 13th, 2023, 2:31 pm

Dropping this week:

🇺🇸:
Loki – Episode 2 (Season 2) 🌎
Goosebumps – 5 Episodes 🌎
4EVER
The Simpsons – Season 34
Ancient Aliens
Forged in Fire
Storage Wars
Criss Angel Mindfreak
My Ghost Story
Betty and Coretta
Harry & Meghan: A Royal Romance
Harry & Meghan: Becoming Royal
Grumpy Cat: The Worst Christmas Ever
Wrapped Up in Christmas

🇬🇧:
Nothing
The Good Doctor – Season 3
The Boogeyman

🇨🇦:
The Conversations Project
Demons and Saviors
The Sound of the Police

🇦🇺:
Alice's Wonderland Bakery

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 13th, 2023, 3:59 pm

I don't know what Fox deal got them Criss Angel, but he, alongside David Copperfield, were one of the two made-for-TV frauds that enraged REAL stage magicians to create the Masked Magician series (also for Fox):

("But he's supposed to be fake, did you think he was doing real magic?"
Uh, yeahhh, but there's an unofficial rule that if it depends on camera placement, and the amazed audience is hired extras who don't give it away, it's a special effect. The old intros of "There will be no camera tricks" has now been replaced by "There will be no cuts or edits--Everything you see is done LIVE"...Which Penn & Teller famously gave the industry heck about.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2023, 5:46 pm

Oh, goodness, we have to have Haz & Megs on every steamer now!?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 14th, 2023, 10:14 am

In my ongoing live-action Disney100 run, we're coming up to The Happiest Millionaire as Walt's final film. Tonight's That Darn Cat! will have to come from D+, since the DVD is a true pan-and-scan 1.33 crop (likely from a 1.66 negative ratio) and D+ has it in 1.85 with noticeable more picture width (darn, was hoping the disc was open matte, but no).

I have Anchor Bay's original DVD for Millionaire, which will suffice, but it’s only 1.66 non-anamorphic. Apparently this disc is much better in encode quality than the later Disney reissue, so I have the better home version, but I was just wondering if the film is available on D+ in the US? I thought I saw it here when flipping through, but it’s definitely not here in the UK. TCM showed it a while back, but not sure if that was HD or just an upscale; it certainly wasn’t a restored print.

The Anchor Bay holds up not too badly, but I wondered why I never bothered with the Disney reissue. Doing some searches today and the reviews generally point up the abysmal edge enhancement, macroblocking and interlacing that isn’t on the Anchor Bay edition — I can only guess that they bundled this almost three-hour film on a DVD-5, while the Anchor Bay is at least double-sided so has more room to breathe.

Appreciate anyone being able to let me know if the US has this on Plus, though, as that means there may be hope in finding n HD version somewhere… ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 14th, 2023, 1:35 pm

Yep, it's available over here. Fortuosity!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 14th, 2023, 6:06 pm

Ah, darn. I thought I did see it over here, so maybe it’s been yanked for some reason. I’ll take a lookie and see if anyone else has it instead. Thanks!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 15th, 2023, 8:49 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 15th, 2023, 11:33 am

Yeah. I’m sure we had it, but it’s obviously been taken off. I can’t even follow that link as it gets so far and then re-geo-locates to the UK page. At least it means there is an HD stream out there, somewhere. Can always just run the DVD if need be. Such a bizarre but unrated musical!

That Darn Cat!, by the way, went down really well last night. Much more funny, clever and "adult" than I remember, not having really watched it that much as a kid. Now, as with Never A Dull Moment, I can appreciate it as the comedy-thriller it is, and aimed at an older teen/young adult audience than the more kid-friendly and family films. Still works well, too, thanks to Stevenson's direction, and important for being Hayley Mills' last Disney as well as Dean Jones' first!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 15th, 2023, 9:16 pm

You are in the uk right?

Looks like prime uk has digital copy for sale.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Happiest-Milli ... B00FZFX2LE

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 15th, 2023, 9:34 pm

That Darn Cat! is among my favorites of WDP's live-action films. :)

Though, I didn't see it until I was in my early-20s .. when I caught it on The Disney Channel (way back when it was still a premium 'commercial-free' channel).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 16th, 2023, 5:50 am

Yep, it’s on Prime here, ta! Probably something to do with why D+ can’t also have it here. Just bad timing, I guess!

Droo…interesting as to when you saw it — you were right in the exact demo crowd! The film definitely plays best to, and was intended for, a late-teen/young adult audience that was "growing" with Mills. Although they’re not a "pair" in the story, Mills and Jones make for a cute pairing, and it’s a shame she left the studio after this one (something she regrets doing, actually), as they could have done some more fun things together. I love the "surfer movie" digs, which were Walt's gentle ribbing at a departed Annette and all those Disney-esque beach movies she went off into!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 16th, 2023, 11:44 am

American plus news--

Snow white has been updated to 4k version.

Once upon a studio now on plus.

Many of the characters in once upon a studio. Sorry roger rabbit.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 16th, 2023, 6:13 pm

Ooh, cool, it’s been added here too, so I can run that on the front of our Walt: The Man Behind The Myth showing at the weekend, along with Once Upon A Mouse. Cool program! :)

Happy birthday to the Walt Disney Co! Hope you caught my sweet front page story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67102341