New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by gaastra » May 11th, 2021, 9:40 pm

Schoolhouse rock removed? Good thing i have the dvd.

Alice in wonderland preschool cartoon coming.

https://whatsondisneyplus.com/alices-wo ... ming-soon/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 12th, 2021, 5:39 pm

And it's got Fourth-Wall Disney Jr. Interactive Preschool Series written all over it.
Still, at least Disney's teaching kids about Alice, which they sure didn't do when I was a kid.
I've toyed with getting another month of Disney+, just to look up that old 80's-glory-days Disney Channel "Adventures in Wonderland" series.

And if it wasn't TV, I'd say we need a complete Schoolhouse Rock Blu-ray by this point.
I still get nostalgic at "The past and the present and the future...Faith and hope and charity..."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 12th, 2021, 5:55 pm

"Adventures in Wonderland" is from the 90s. It's been interesting revisiting the series.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 13th, 2021, 12:29 pm

Jungle Cruise now scheduled to premiere on D+ the same day as the cinema release, as a premier(e) access thingy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 14th, 2021, 3:41 am

Dropping today:

🇺🇸:
The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers - Episode 8
Big Shot - Episode 5
Star Wars: The Bad Batch - Episode 3
High School Musical: The Musical – The Series - Episode 1 (Season 2)
Special Agent Oso (Season 1-2)
Life Below Zero (Season 15)
Race To The Center of The Earth
X-Men: The Last Stand

🇬🇧:
neXt – Episode 10 (Finale)
Filthy Rich - Episode 6
Secrets of Sulphur Springs - Episode 7
Grown-ish - Episode 3 (Season 3)
Station 19 – Season 1-3
Fancy Nancy - Episode 1-25 (Season 2)
Sadie Sparks - Episode 1-26 (Season 1)
9/11 Rescue Cops
An Affair to Remember
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
This Means War
The Art of Getting By
Anastasia (1997)
Year of the Scab – ESPN
What Carter Lost – ESPN
Tim Richmond: To The Limit – ESPN
There's No Place Like Home – ESPN
The Good, The Bad, The Hungry – ESPN
Dominican Dream – ESPN
Phi Slama Jama – ESPN
Of Miracles and Men – ESPN
Little Big Men – ESPN
Doc and Darryl – ESPN

🇨🇦:
Grown-ish - Episode 9 (Season 3)
An Affair to Remember
The Alligator People
The Blue Bird (1976)
Downtown (1990)
Confessions of a Shopaholic

🇦🇺:
Family Guy - Episode 10 (Season 19)
Bob's Burgers - Episode 8 (Season 11)
Station 19 - Episode 7 (Season 4)
Grown-ish - Episode 14 (Season 3)
Grey's Anatomy - Episode 13 (Season 17)
Genius: Aretha – Episode 5 & 6
Mira, Royal Detective
Gigantosaurus – Season 1
An Affair to Remember
The Alligator People
The Blue Bird (1976)

Ooh, An Affair to Remember. Although I prefer the original 1939 version Love Affair. Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne had more chemistry together.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 14th, 2021, 6:55 am

Too right...Boyer was always great in anything, but outside either pure screwball comedy or "you’ve got the wrong man" Hitchcockian thrillery, Grant was actually more than a bit of a bore in his 1950s romantic "comedies", such as that and the interminable Indiscreet among others, which were usually quite drab and trying affairs.

Thanks as always for adding these, although as usual if I didn’t already have a D+ sub, there’s not much there that would get me excited enough to get one. Where’s all the Walt TV goodness we were promised, or was at least hinted at? Why do we have to resort to YouTube uploads of VHS taping as to see all the great stuff!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 14th, 2021, 12:43 pm

That's the million dollar question. Maybe they just need someone new over there to handle the vintage stuff. Now that would be a dream job!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 14th, 2021, 7:24 pm

Daniel wrote:
May 14th, 2021, 3:41 am
🇦🇺:
The Blue Bird (1976)
Oh, Canada and Australia get the Fox '76 Blue Bird, which has never once appeared on home video in the US?? :shock:

Don't get me wrong, it's still cringeworthy, but I've always had a soft spot for it being the more accurate version of the original than that 40's-prewar skewed Shirley Temple thing.
I know it's appeared on US TV once or twice, since I taped it off Turner networks before finally tracking down a Russian all-region DVD of it, but I always thought it was missing because of US-Russian ownership issues.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 15th, 2021, 4:21 pm

I remember watching the 1976 version a few years back on the Fox Movie Channel. Great stars, but yeah, pretty awful. I love the Shirley Temple take. It's a little strange and has some very dark overtones, however it has some vivid technicolor imagery. One of my favorite parts is when the dead grandparents awaken. Hits close to home. It was also nice to see the actress that played Becky from The Little Princess again. Another Shirley Temple film that I love dearly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 15th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Daniel wrote:
May 15th, 2021, 4:21 pm
I remember watching the 1976 version a few years back on the Fox Movie Channel. Great stars, but yeah, pretty awful. I love the Shirley Temple take. It's a little strange and has some very dark overtones, however it has some vivid technicolor imagery. One of my favorite parts is when the dead grandparents awaken. Hits close to home.
The 1976 version started as a US/Russian peace-stunt co-production, but unfortunately each country had a different idea of what a "G-rated fairytale" movie should be: The US producers were picturing Mary Poppins, the Russians were picturing one of their overproduced Technicolor Sadko fairytale movies. The end result looks like Liz Taylor and Jane Fonda in a big-budget Hollywood remake of MST3K's "Jack Frost", but for good or bad, at least it's the original Maurice Maeterlinck play.

The 1940 Shirley Temple version means well (since Fox made it in response to turning down MGM's offer to let Shirley play Dorothy), and it faithfully dumbs down a few of the play's memorable scenes, but then gives up halfway and recycles the rich-mansion hijinks from "Heidi"...Even to putting Shirley in a dirndl and getting her to do a Swiss-yodeling song.
Worse, though, is that the script is a time-capsule of 1940's pre-war isolationism, where Napoleon is about to attack the village, and Shirley's father has to go to war. ("Why do we have to have war?" "Well, some people just haven't learned how to be happy...") But all ends happily in the last reel--"The war's off! Napoleon signed a TREATY!!" Peace in our time. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 16th, 2021, 4:56 am

I’m not totally au fait with little Shirl's films (it’s been a long while), but I thought her being made up for not going to Oz was another film?

EDIT: Yes, this is the one. Maybe I saw it under a different name, or perhaps it payed on TV under a Shirley Temple banner or something, since I don’t remember it being called The Blue Bird. Then again, I don’t remember it being in Technicolor either! Like I said, it’s been a while, since a little of Shirl goes a long way, and a lot of the films I saw years ago, like Little Princess and Sunnybrook Farm, all kind of meld into one!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 17th, 2021, 1:02 pm

Schoolhouse Rock has returned and like predicted divided into seasons. Has new art too.

Several titles have been updated to 4K on Star:

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
The Empty Man
Unbreakable
Glass
Notorious
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
High Fidelity
There's Something About Mary
The Cat from Outer Space
(500) Days of Summer
Rushmore

Oooh, seeing Harry and Marv get injured in 4K! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2021, 5:52 pm

See, my juice is more at The Cat From Outer Space! That’s somewhat insane that this can now be seen in a quality better than what could be seen in 1978. Are you sure that’s right? The Ken Berry Disney one? Funny that it’s gone to Star, or is this some kind of bad remake...?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 17th, 2021, 10:37 pm

'Twas the same film that caught my eye. 4K? And still no Blu-ray?

I find no info on a remake, so it must be the one and only.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 18th, 2021, 12:05 am

Yep. It's available on 4K over here.