Daryl (1985 movie) Returns In TV Show!

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Daryl (1985 movie) Returns In TV Show!

Post by gaastra » July 14th, 2020, 7:28 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Daryl (1985 movie) Returns In TV Show!

Post by Ben » July 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Oops...maybe should have mentioned this a couple of months ago when it was first given the greenlight...? But I guess I thought no-one would remember this, and then, while I was quite down with an update, I’m not sure how I feel about this turning into a comedy take that doesn’t actually make much sense anyway. Also, interesting that the trailer and this new show hail from Paramount, when I remember the movie coming from Columbia Pictures back in the day. I await this with some trepidation, but it would be cool if David St Hubbins pops up!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 15th, 2020, 8:03 am

gaastra wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 7:28 pm
That came out of nowhere.
Yeah, there are plenty of OTHER 80's Paramount titles in accessible "orphan" public-domain status at the moment to cheaply re-exploit.
But, they've already done a Clueless series...Say, does this mean we could potentially get a Young Sherlock Holmes series?? :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 15th, 2020, 11:42 am

I bet el Stevo would be up for that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 15th, 2020, 9:35 pm

Ben wrote:
July 15th, 2020, 11:42 am
I bet el Stevo would be up for that.
But only if we get a Paramount-PD "Adventures of Tintin" series first.
Ben wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm
Also, interesting that the trailer and this new show hail from Paramount, when I remember the movie coming from Columbia Pictures back in the day.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088979/:
Production Companies
Paramount Pictures
Distributors
Paramount Pictures (1985) (USA) (theatrical)
Columbia Pictures (1986) (Australia) (theatrical)

(...Yeah, it is snotty, isn't it? See how YOU like it. :P )

I, OTOH, clearly remember it setting the tone for 1985, being Paramount's other big summer tentpole besides "Explorers". (And if we ever get a series of that, Paramount, keep Joe Dante a hundred miles away from it.)
Big 80's Movies were cool, but even then, they could still feel like their own generic genre entries.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2020, 6:02 am

I think you’ll find Columbia took DARYL in all international territories, not just Australia. Which is why I saw it with the Columbia logo and, later, on RCA/Columbia Pictures Home Video.

Explorers got almost no theatrical release here, so we saw it on video (via CIC, the joint international Paramount/Universal distribution company). My girlfriend at the time loved River Phoenix, which is why we saw it, but I remember fairly little from it other than the "bubble' flying sequence, the crazy mixed-up ending, and the main theme in Jerry Goldsmith's score.

There is, apparently, a remake in the works,..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 16th, 2020, 3:55 pm

Ben wrote:
July 16th, 2020, 6:02 am
I think you’ll find Columbia took DARYL in all international territories, not just Australia. Which is why I saw it with the Columbia logo and, later, on RCA/Columbia Pictures Home Video.
(Even when I correct HIS own mistakes, he tries to "correct" mine! :x )
Explorers got almost no theatrical release here, so we saw it on video (via CIC, the joint international Paramount/Universal distribution company). My girlfriend at the time loved River Phoenix, which is why we saw it, but I remember fairly little from it other than the "bubble' flying sequence, the crazy mixed-up ending, and the main theme in Jerry Goldsmith's score.
Yep, we...did NOT expect that ending, did we?
I remember the kids using their ship to watch the world's cheapest Star Wars ripoff at a drive-in, possibly inspired by the fact that Joe Dante and Alan Arkush were both still working in New World's marketing/trailer department when New World had to release 1979's "Starcrash". :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2020, 8:10 pm

The thing is...I didn’t actually make a mistake...?
Ben wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 9:25 pm
Also, interesting that the trailer and this new show hail from Paramount, when I remember the movie coming from Columbia Pictures back in the day.
I never said it *wasn't* Paramount, or that it *was* Columbia. Merely that I remember it being Columbia when I saw it.

Then, in trying to "correct" me, you actually backed me up by posting info that confirmed Paramount put DARYL out in the US, and Columbia put it out in Australia and, as such, internationally. Last time I checked, I live in the UK so, you know, "international".

A quick Google image search for "DARYL Columbia" shows up a bunch of posters and VHS sleeves with the aforementioned RCA/Columbia logo all over them.

So...and please try to correct me again...how was that "wrong" to start off with!? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 18th, 2020, 12:42 pm

Yeah, you're never going to get an answer because it's not humanly possible. Not the first time and certainly won't be the last...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 18th, 2020, 5:31 pm

;)