AV Founder

Re: Avatar Netflix Live Action Series!

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2024, 3:44 am

And not long to wait!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 23rd, 2024, 9:39 pm

I've watched the first three episodes so far.

Episode 1 was a little heavy handed with exposition. The cartoon trusted kids to figure out what was going on more that this episode did! Editing was a little weird too. By the end it had got its footing and hooked me in.

Episode 2 was great. Exactly what I wanted in a live action Avatar. The only minor complaint is emotional beats were a little too simplistic.

Episode 3 was good too. But there are so many scenes where it feels so obvious they are on a set. The "long shots" of the city(visual effects of course) look grand and impressive. But then they get down to the character level and it feels like if you were to look hard enough you might be able to see the ceiling in outdoor scenes!

Overall loving the effects, the choreography, costumes, and world. The main actors are very likable. And it feels very faithful to the source material. Looking forward to watching the rest.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 26th, 2024, 8:13 pm

Really this is one of the disadvantages of filming everything in super hi-def these days. Something like this show might actually benefit from lower resolution to help hide the budget more, if that makes sense.

Still, James’s words are promising! I’ve been hearing a lot of bad things so this actually helps get me back on board.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 26th, 2024, 10:32 pm

I finished it. Better than I expected but not as good as I'd hoped. Felt rushed since they skipped so much. But they definitely got the feel of the original down. I think it's a fun watch for those familiar with the cartoon. But newcomers should skip this and watch the original

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 27th, 2024, 1:17 am

How would you say it compares to—shudders—the Shyamalan film?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2024, 4:22 am

So the word "bender" here has, shall we say, some different connotations in terms of "batting for the other side", if you get what I mean. I never saw it, but apparently the UK picture houses were full of snickering audiences as such lines as "My father was a bender" played out in all serious earnestness. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 27th, 2024, 10:21 am

Quick but nice interview with the showrunner.
https://www.cbr.com/pains-me-too-avatar ... airbender/