AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

WB looking to sell crouncyroll!

Post by gaastra » August 12th, 2020, 10:34 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: WB looking to sell crouncyroll!

Post by James » August 13th, 2020, 12:03 am

Shocked that WB isn’t holding onto this as content for HBOMax.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 13th, 2020, 12:28 am

They had a sampling of Crunchyroll on HBOMax, as a promo, but mostly the years-old core-fan series.

Sony, OTOH, used to have one or two exclusive anime shows on Crackle, as they owned the overseas Animax networks, and at one point wanted to bring an Animax channel over to America under the Crackle brand. Obviously that didn't happen.
Last edited by EricJ on August 13th, 2020, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 13th, 2020, 12:51 am

Looks like big changes for DC too.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dc-comics ... fs-fallout
...Simply put, “WarnerMedia doesn’t want to be in the comics business. It wants to be in the character business,” another source with knowledge of Warner Bros. operations tells me. That same source contends that the company may have no longer wanted DC and its comics to be the driving force behind entities that are so important to WB franchising and licensing goals. Moving forward, both sources believe comics will be just a small part of the necessary intellectual property maintenance needed to keep corporate cash cows like Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman humming along...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 13th, 2020, 1:30 am

DC suffered a bloodbath.

Great article, James - the best I've seen on this topic. Thanks for posting that link.

Comics have been a shrinking part of Warner's overall approach to their characters for a while now, and yeah - this was inevitable. While their film division has been rudderless, there's still much more money in films than comics.

DC has been shrinking its line quite a bit the past few years already, and as the article stated, covid has just likely advanced an inevitable timetable of events. Good to hear that print isn't dead, but the company will certainly be evolving into something different. I expect to see them continue to develop the young adult readers' lines, which have been bookstore hits, while the regular comics contract their focus to DC's biggest stars.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 13th, 2020, 5:19 am

I keep hearing all over that covid has accelerated a push towards "the future", when everything is homogenised and online. I’m actually beginning to hate it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 29th, 2020, 9:34 pm

And now they may sell directv. (well the part they own.)

https://deadline.com/2020/08/warnermedi ... 203026272/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 29th, 2020, 9:38 pm

Also old cartoon network head is out. New guy running cn studios and animation studios at wb. Lets hope he will let scooby doo have real ghosts again.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/sa ... 95940.html