AV Founder

Re: Bobbleheads the movie!

Post by Ben » October 16th, 2020, 7:54 pm

And Cher. Of course.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 16th, 2020, 10:49 pm

I tried to look this up on IMDb to see which country it came from and...oddly enough, they've never seem to have heard of it either.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 17th, 2020, 4:31 am

Coming soon — The Q-tips Movie!

Lookout... ‘Ear They Come!

:( Sadly, this could be too real.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 17th, 2020, 1:34 pm

It's directed by Beauty and the Beast's Kirk Wise. Let that sink in! :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 17th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Woah.

Mind. Warped.

Brain. Exploded.

Wow.

Well, I guess everybody has to work. You’d think he’d get better gigs, though. He needs to fire his agent!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 18th, 2020, 6:20 pm

IMDB page is up. The dogs name is Dumpster. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 18th, 2020, 7:40 pm

Daniel wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 1:34 pm
It's directed by Beauty and the Beast's Kirk Wise. Let that sink in! :shock:
I can't, I'm still dealing with Glen Keane directing "Over The Moon"... :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 18th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Daniel wrote:
November 18th, 2020, 6:20 pm
IMDB page is up. The dogs name is Dumpster. :lol:
That perfectly encapsulates my feelings towards this film.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 18th, 2020, 9:04 pm

So we had Linda Woolverton with Alice and Maleficent.
Don Hahn with Maleficent.
Glen Keane with Over the Moon.
Brenda Chapman with Come Away
And now Kirk Wise with this...

I'm starting to think that the people who were involved with the Renaissance are like a band. They're excellent together, but not so much in their solo careers outside Disney Animation.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 19th, 2020, 5:38 am

And Lion King's Rob Minkoff with the Stuart Little movies and DreamWorks' Mr. Peabody.
And Gary Trousdale with the TV Shrek specials.
And Brad Bird with Tomorrowland and...whichever one of the Mission:Impossible sequels that was.

(And are we saying that Brenda Chapman started to slip after leaving Pixar, or that Prince of Egypt is an "honorary" 90's Renaissance film by special invitation?
Because then we have to add in Simon "Mars Needs Moms" Wells.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 19th, 2020, 6:12 am

Well Prince Of Egypt, despite the studio name, has always been 90s "Disney Does Moses" in all possible ways. Totally part of that period.

Don't forget Roger Allers, from Lion King to Open Season. :(

I wouldn’t put Maleficent in the failure pile, though. That was one of the better live-actioners. And we haven’t seen Come Away yet. No need for the continued Linda and Brenda-"bashing". And Tomorrowland is crushed under its own ambition, but better to be ambitious and fall short than just overscore at being mediocre.

Some of these folks just hit such huge highs that it’s hard to stay at those lofty levels. I mean, has Steven Spielberg actually ever matched the double-whammy of 1993 when Jurassic and Schindler both hit screens? He's made some terrific films since then, but has even he been able to continue to churn out top flight stuff every time? No...in fact he’s also made a couple of really bad films.

And it tickles me each time you guys so easily bash films or their filmmakers. If only you knew how hard a director has to fight to make a movie that even resembles what was in a script or how they first saw it. Or even to get a movie going in the first place...

Unfortunately, sometimes people just have to take a paying gig. In this regards, it’s kind of a shame that Kirk Wise is the one that seems to have taken the most spectacular fall from grace here, but sometimes it is nice to have more control on a smaller film, and his family have got to eat!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 19th, 2020, 6:38 am

Ben wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 6:12 am
I wouldn’t put Maleficent in the failure pile, though. That was one of the better live-actioners. And we haven’t seen Come Away yet. No need for the continued Linda and Brenda-"bashing".
If there's too many Maleficent defenders in the room, can we save the Linda-bashing for "Alice Through the Looking Glass"?
(And I'll go with the room's presumption that that was a step "down" from Beauty & the Beast, and not just another day at the office.)

And besides, Brenda still has "Strange Magic" on her IMDb list, if nothing else. Can't blame everything on Lucas.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 19th, 2020, 6:42 am

I'm sorry. I only mentioned them because they made really great films. Not because they're incompetent or anything.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 19th, 2020, 8:44 am

EricJ wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 6:38 am
Ben wrote:
November 19th, 2020, 6:12 am
I wouldn’t put Maleficent in the failure pile, though. That was one of the better live-actioners. And we haven’t seen Come Away yet. No need for the continued Linda and Brenda-"bashing".
If there's too many Maleficent defenders in the room, can we save the Linda-bashing for "Alice Through the Looking Glass"?
No, because that film was actually terrific.

As was Bird's Mission Impossible.

I don't understand the need to bash anyone, really. Filmmaking is such a collaborative effort, frought with difficulties and challenges, that we should just be glad when great films happen. Practically no one does a great film every time out, and there are only just so many director spots available, with more people entering the field all the time. Most filmmakers would love to just have one great success on a resume. It's really competitive, and we can't begrudge someone for taking a job on a smaller project when Disney fails to roll out the red carpet.

Also, Disney films are not nearly as director-driven as a smaller film from another company might be. There is a lot to be said for being able to work without having to serve the needs of a massive corporation.