Hanna-Barbera Studios returns!

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Hanna-Barbera Studios returns!

Post by gaastra » August 24th, 2022, 11:04 am

One scooby dtv film made it out this year.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 24th, 2022, 3:01 pm

Looks fun.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 13th, 2022, 9:09 am

Velma show confirmed still coming out, so we are still getting the gory nude woman filled scooby show.

https://www.cbr.com/warner-bros-nycc-pl ... al-kombat/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 13th, 2022, 12:59 pm

Um... yeah...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 11th, 2022, 1:57 pm

Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo! is premiering on Cartoon Network this Friday. Sweet! Usually it's never that fast.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 5th, 2022, 5:17 pm

Why did the original Scooby-Doo show have an incredibly fake laugh track?

https://youtu.be/8u-FL84z_tM
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 5th, 2022, 8:29 pm

Because...all 70's Saturday morning cartoons did? And cartoons don't have live audiences?
(And at least it wasn't that weird unnatural mix of variety-show laughtrack and chipmunk-giggle that Filmation cartoons had. :shock: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 6th, 2022, 3:59 am

Well he’s slightly annoying, ain’t he? Sometimes a fun recap of how things happened and why, but it took a while to get into the nitty gritty.

I actually used to love the HB laugh tracks, even though they totally baffled me as a kid. So cheesy and inappropriate, but also such a part of those shows and the audio equivalent of the cost-cutting animation methods in use. In a weird way, those laughs were *so* so fake sounding that they didn’t really sound like laughs in the end anyway, mainly because they had probably become redubbed so many times that they sounded like mush that wasn’t so much "laughter" as it was a raising and lowering in volume of some kind of background noise that kind of almost sounded a bit like laughter. But, yeah, all part of that era and the shows we grew up with, and to not have them there now would probably be more weird than having them there in the first place!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 6th, 2022, 8:51 am

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... KAp40sAAAA
Tony Cervone has announced that they have now completed ‘SCOOB! HOLIDAY HAUNT’ despite Warner Bros. Discovery cancelling it for a tax write-off.

“A bittersweet conclusion for sure. I really hope you get the chance to see it somehow.”

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 7th, 2022, 12:43 am

Ben wrote:
November 6th, 2022, 3:59 am
But, yeah, all part of that era and the shows we grew up with, and to not have them there now would probably be more weird than having them there in the first place!
The Flintstones had a laughtrack, being a sitcom, but watching them in their "original" form sans track on disc only emphasizes how subtle and deadpan some of the scripted gags were, and plays up the satirical sarcasm for more of a Simpsons vibe.

Plus, most of the early Yogi & Huck shorts never had laughtracks, since they were following the lead of theatrical cartoons on TV, and it captures the same deadpan style.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2022, 4:04 am

I was talking Scooby-specific, but yes. Flintstones here sometimes had a track, sometimes didn’t. I think maybe they had a change between seasons?