Bedrock: A Sequel to The Flintstones

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Bedrock: A Sequel to The Flintstones

Post by Dacey » April 27th, 2021, 4:18 pm

Yabba-dabba-you-know-the-rest! The Flintstones are returning to television with a sequel series, set twenty years after the original with Fred on the brink of retirement:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/flints ... 234961373/

I'm still curious if that doomed Seth MacFarlane pilot which apparently got made will ever make its way online.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Bedrock: A Sequel to The Flintstones

Post by EricJ » April 27th, 2021, 4:55 pm

Seth who? Oh, that guy....He's still alive?? :lol:
[Dacey Irony-Deficiency Disclaimer: Yes. I know he is. Stand down.]

It's basically Warner in Doctor Sleep/Blade Runner 2049 mode, wondering what other house-brand properties they can bring back for 20th-30th high-school reunions, AND trying to jumpstart whatever H-B labels Cartoon Network didn't teach us to loathe and despise in our 00's childhood, which means either one more Scooby or Flintstones.

And, I assume the death of Henry Corden took them hard, and buried any hope of a straight Fred-based reboot, despite "Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby" being essentially the finale of the series.
So, will they remember Adult Pebbles is an actress, or will she be a Frustrated Career Mom in this one?
The project will be written and co-executive produced by Lindsay Kerns, whose past credits include...“DC Super Hero Girls,”

...I'm guessing it's the latter. :?
(And I assume they're referring to that butt-ugly last DC Superhero Girls, not the pleasantly okay first one?)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 27th, 2021, 5:26 pm

EricJ wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 4:55 pm
Seth who? Oh, that guy....He's still alive?? :lol:
[Dacey Irony-Deficiency Disclaimer: Yes. I know he is. Stand down.]
Really not sure how he calls me the stalker...

And literally no one at WB sits around going "what property did we not teach people to hate on Cartoon Network?" and uses that as the reasoning to invest in a multi-million dollar primetime series for television. Especially with something as well-known as The Flintstones.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 27th, 2021, 6:18 pm

Dacey wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 5:26 pm
And literally no one at WB sits around going "what property did we not teach people to hate on Cartoon Network?" and uses that as the reasoning to invest in a multi-million dollar primetime series for television.
(You realize you could say that exact same thing about that live-action Powerpuff Girls thing they're trying to kiss up to the last surviving adult 90's Cartoon Network fangirls with?)
Especially with something as well-known as The Flintstones.
Back during Cartoon Network's 00's "School-bully" days, rule used to be:
You could pick on Snagglepuss...
You could pick on Quick-Draw...
You could pick on Velma...
Everyone picked on Scrappy...
You were neurotically encouraged to pick on Aquaman and the Superfriends...
But pick on Jonny Quest or the Flintstones, and the fans would say, "Hey, Warner, you can see your house from here", lock you into a sedan car-trunk and push it into the East River. :x

(And then, of course, we got the Venture Bros., so it was pretty much down to The Flintstones, when "On the Rocks" didn't go over.)

Nowadays, of course, 10's-20's Warner's coming back to us loyal Archive-boxset-buying HB fans with their lil' begging-cup in their hands, asking "Say, pardon me, but can you help a fellow American studio who's down on their house-franchising luck?", and we've got a lot of old ISSUES to discuss. Hit da road, Warner. :twisted:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 27th, 2021, 7:54 pm

As the meme says, that’s not how this works.

That’s not how any of this works.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 27th, 2021, 7:58 pm

:|

It’s okay, Dace...it’s no use tying yourself up; he’s never understood how any of it works.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 27th, 2021, 8:44 pm

Nevermind that the current incarnation of DC Superhero Girls is packed with rapid-fire humor and slick 'appealing' design; it's by far my personal favorite TV cartoon show of recent years. :)

I do wish they'd allowed Lauren Faust to just title the show Super Best Friends Forever .. since the series actually is a continuation of her DC Nation shorts, in spirit. :wink: It does lead to some 'confusion' with the earlier DC SHG series .. which not only features different character designs, but also a rather different overall premise/location. :?

There's a great final gag in one show, in which Batgirl -- who'd been manically spouting various 'made-up acronyms' throughout the episode -- proclaims, "that's why we're S.B.F.F.'s!!" .. to which, Zatanna inquires: "Super Best Friends Forever..?" .. and Batgirl narrows her eyes, smiles, and says, "yeeahhh." :twisted: :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 27th, 2021, 9:53 pm

Ben wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 7:58 pm
It’s okay, Dace...it’s no use tying yourself up; he’s never understood how any of it works.
(Y'know, I do sometimes wish the counter-arguments would be a little more elaborate and illustratively fleshed out than "Uh-uh. Nope. Nope-nope-nope. Bzzt, wrong, no way, totally nopers!", as it would liven the discussions considerably? :? )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 27th, 2021, 11:20 pm

on topic .. it'll be interesting to see whether this series will follow on from the events of I Yabba Dabba Doo / Hollyrock-A-Bye Baby (which themselves were set roughly 20 years after the original 1960 series) .. or whether it'll be its own thing.

Personally, I think there's certainly potential for more fun stories set in the 'modern stone age'.

Though, I'll admit to being slightly relieved that Seth McFarlane won't be the one to tell them. :wink:
Post1701.jpg
Post1701.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
Last edited by droosan on April 27th, 2021, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 27th, 2021, 11:25 pm

Eric has often made jokes like "Seth who? Oh, that guy....He's still alive??" and then had people "correct" him before, so as long as that continues he might as well add "disclaimers" for the overly serious.
And literally no one at WB sits around going "what property did we not teach people to hate on Cartoon Network?"
Case in point!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 28th, 2021, 12:41 am

Love the graphic, Droo!

I'm pretty keen to see what Bedrock does with its premise. I somehow doubt that it will concern itself with any previous continuity, though. And yeah, I don't mind Seth not being involved in this one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 28th, 2021, 3:13 am

Excellent commemoration post Droo! Spot on! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 28th, 2021, 3:43 am

James wrote:
April 27th, 2021, 11:25 pm
Eric has often made jokes like "Seth who? Oh, that guy....He's still alive??" and then had people "correct" him before, so as long as that continues he might as well add "disclaimers" for the overly serious.
And by "overly serious", we mean "Those who leap at the starting bit to find something to correct in his post before they even finish reading the sentence, or put it in paragraph context." Not naming names, of course. :roll:

And yeah, if Pebbles is still "twenty something", I'm guessing they're ignoring continuity too, and going straight for the same CW audience they can sell the PPG series to.
With Retired Fred in there as the "Harrison Ford", the new term for the Old Retired Actor from the previous classic franchise who must reappear in the new reboot to give his blessing to the next-generation lead character. In this case, we can compare whether the new Old Fred resembles the one from the episode where Fred dreams about Pebbles getting married to Arnold the newsboy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 28th, 2021, 5:11 am

Fred already had that role, in The Pebbles & Bamm Bamm Show.

Speaking of which -- I'd love to see 'grown-up' versions of Wiggy, Penny, Moonrock & the gang in the new show .. even if they're just cameos. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 28th, 2021, 9:26 am

Seeing Schleprock again would be fun! :)