Post by gaastra » August 19th, 2021, 11:49 am

Trailer. No ties to the other series.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: He-man CG series

Post by Dacey » August 19th, 2021, 1:23 pm

I…actually don’t hate this!

Heck I even kind of like robot Orko!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 19th, 2021, 5:39 pm

Yeah…not really my thing, but this doesn’t look like it would totally suck!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 19th, 2021, 6:29 pm

Truthfully, I'm gonna stick to the Kevin Smith produced revival series. The CG series looks good, but that trailer just doesn't make me want to really check it out. But hey I'm someone who hasn't enjoyed any of the rebooted series (the Kevin Smith one did grow on me by the end) since the 80s series ended. So I'm not really the best person to judge I guess

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 19th, 2021, 8:09 pm

Okay, as one who had no feelings for the 80's series besides mild loathing (watching the Japanese outsourcing in Thundercats made you realize WHY Filmation's animation was going to go out with the Archies), I must ask what was behind the immediate whole raging fan "jihad" against Smith's series.

I expected disgruntlement, but this was on some united fronts as if Kevin had violated the very principles of the show on a Dolph Lundgren & Frank Langella level.
Watched the first episode, and it was nice to see a more talented screenwriter use the benefit of nostalgia to smooth out the clunkiness of Norm Scheimer tropes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 19th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Just gonna hide some thoughts in the spoilers just in case
Basically they were miffed that the show killed off He-Man in the first episode and made the plot about Teela. They felt Kevin and Netflix had tricked them into watching He-Man when He-Man wasn't central to the plot. Then throw in the fact that when Adam does return he pretty much gets killed again by a ressurrected Skeletor and so the 'fans' were still screaming. But it's obvious Adam is not gonna be dead.
I admit the first episode threw me for a curveball but as I watched I got involved in the plot and could see what the writers were doing. My biggest gripe is the delay of the concluding 5 episodes. From my understanding they are finished so could have been dropped at the same time. That possibly could have helped those outraged 'fans'. It also didn't help that Kevin Smith acted like a spoilt child in his response to the 'criticism' from 'diehard fans'.

The Kevin Smith Masters of the Universe is definitely aimed at the kids who grew up on original series and are now adults. This CGI series is definitely aimed more at the new kids than the old kids.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 19th, 2021, 10:23 pm

Thanks for clarifying all that, Bill. I was wondering why both shows would exist.

I reviewed a DVD set of the first revival series, but otherwise have never watched the show. I was maybe just a year or two too old when the original came out to get into it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » August 20th, 2021, 12:56 am

Kevin Smith's version is also being touted as a direct continuation of the original series and answering some of the plot threads that were still hanging at the conclusion. Honestly, though, I had no idea there were threads hanging. As a kid, I just always viewed every episode as a self-contained story. Clearly, I wasn't paying attention to the plot. Maybe I should pull out the DVDs of the original for a rewatch to see exactly what Kevin Smith is answering.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 20th, 2021, 1:58 am

Randall wrote:
August 19th, 2021, 10:23 pm
I reviewed a DVD set of the first revival series, but otherwise have never watched the show.
I was working at Mike Young Productions (on a different show) when the 2002 He-Man revival was being made there. It may amuse you to learn that the director and most of the design staff on that series had then only recently wrapped on Johnny Bravo at Cartoon Network. What a shock that switch of art styles must've been, for most of them! .. but they pulled it off. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 20th, 2021, 3:04 am

Ahh…good old Mike Young. :)