Arcane

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Arcane

Post by Dan » November 21st, 2021, 4:44 pm

If you haven't seen, I posted a review of Arcane on the front page: https://animatedviews.com/2021/arcane/

In case you all are sill interested, here was the final trailer that had been launched prior to the release of the show.

The hope for this thread is that it becomes quite hefty by the time season two kicks in, which probably won't be for a couple years given it took Riot Games and Fortiche Production six years to make the first. Nevertheless, I'd like to see some discussion come out of this in the meantime.

A couple notes I left out from my review (in addition to how long it took to make season one):

- The first season was broken up and released weekly in three acts, each act made up of three episodes for a total of nine. I noted that many of the episodes end of cliffhangers, which make the ending episode to each act close so as to give audiences emotional breakdowns during the weekly released before they can find out what happens next.

- As also pointed out by other reviews, Arcane follows in the footsteps of Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse by really being a game-changer in animation. Seriously, the show's blend of CG and hand-drawn animation is stupendous and could be the influence for other programs to follow along.

- I mentioned that it was not a necessity to have played League of Legends to get into Arcane. I nevertheless did a little research into the game prior to the series premiere and I feel I've only scratched the surface of even the full lore to just Piltover and Zaun. One thing that did come out was being able to watch a wonderful documentary by Leslie Iwerks that covers the growth of the League of Legends phenomenon, which should definitely be checked out by any one curious. Moreover, the show premiered the same day as this year's World Championships.
Last edited by Dan on November 21st, 2021, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Arcane

Post by Dacey » November 21st, 2021, 5:56 pm

Dan’s enthusiasm for this is awesome! :D I’ll be sure to make an effort to check this out.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2021, 7:43 pm

Likewise. I don't, sadly, have much time for shows, but this looks unique as heck.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 21st, 2021, 11:05 pm

If Ahri isn't in it, no interest.

(Besides, this looks like it WANTS to be LoL's equivalent of "Street Fighter: the Legend of Chun-Li". As in, not the 90's Van Damme movie.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 21st, 2021, 11:23 pm

In addition to the series, Fortiche Production did a music video for the main theme "Enemy" that includes original animation and offers some insight into Jinx as Powder.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 22nd, 2021, 1:34 pm

Digging the art style! If I had Netflix I would probably check it out. Nice review.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 28th, 2021, 3:38 pm

So there's a thing that's on the rise that started in London called Secret Cinema. The idea being that it's a two hour immersive/interactive experience were attendees are encouraged to participate in the telling of the story. It's made it's way to Los Angeles and for the next few weeks they're doing Arcane.

I am so tempted to try this out:
https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/arc ... ce-review/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 28th, 2021, 6:31 pm

It’s more than two hours, but…yeah…it’s pretty darned cool. I almost made it to the BTTF one they did here. Can’t remember why I didn’t book it, but that’s the closest I came to going to one. Basically they recreate the environment the film is set in, providing the immersive element, and then "pop out" certain scenes as the film plays on a giant screen. You don’t really go so much to see the film but for the entire experience, hence why they usually do this with established classics that people know inside and out, so that everyone there can join in and partake alongside the professional actors that are there to make the film come alive "for real". :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 20th, 2021, 6:43 pm

After much procrastination, I purchased a ticket for Secret Cinema, getting it for this past Saturday ahead of them ending the Arcane run. That was an absolute blast. It was quite fun essentially partaking in LARPing (live-action role playing) and the experience was so well put together that I had a great time. I'm tempted to make an event coverage write-up, although it would contain spoilers. :mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 20th, 2021, 8:09 pm

As long as you spoiler tag it, I’d say it’s fair game.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » December 31st, 2021, 8:22 pm

A nice, brief video that collected together some of the making of content Riot released prior to the show's premiere.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » October 8th, 2022, 9:56 pm

Bumping as the fantastic documentary series Bridging the Rift is currently up on the front page.

https://animatedviews.com/2022/watch-th ... -the-rift/

Great insight into the making of the series and the third episode pays a great deal of attention on Fortiche and their animation process.