Unaired Pilots

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Unaired Pilots

Post by gaastra » June 26th, 2022, 8:59 am

How about we look at some unaired pilots.

Youngblood.

Marvels power pack

Munsters

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Unaired Pilots

Post by gaastra » June 26th, 2022, 9:04 am

Nickelodeons adventure time! Did air but nick passed.

Cn's peppa pig. Aired but cn dumped it. Yes they dumped a billion Doller ip! Smart move there cn!

Real ghostbusters pilot with more bill murrey peter and evil slimer.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 26th, 2022, 10:56 am

Planet Patrol (late-1950s/early-1960s?) is a fun one. :)

This was produced by a group of former M-G-M staffers who were obviously trying to follow in Hanna-Barbera's footsteps.

If they could've kept up this quality, they might've given H-B, Jay Ward, Total Television & Bob Clampett some competition. Alas, it was not to be. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 26th, 2022, 11:59 am

Wow never seen that much of the original GB promo! Thanks Droo! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 26th, 2022, 4:34 pm

Just in case, may we assume all good folk have already seen the '88 X-Men pilot, now aka "Pryde of the X-Men"?
(Back when Transformers and GI Joe were coin of the realm, and job one was the marketing need to have all the action-figure properties onscreen...It's representation!)

Ah, the old-school 80's Nightcrawler, back when he was still a nice guy and a fun showoff...And Colossus back when he was a goofy college kid, and didn't hang around with Deadpool. :)

"My Fair Munster" was eventually refilmed as one of the regular Munsters episodes, although they never bothered to explain what happened to the Kravitz-like neighbors or why Eddie stopped hiding in the fireplace.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 26th, 2022, 9:47 pm

Impulse was going to be in the show!

50s gumby show unaired pilot.

Man, this show could have been fun.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 26th, 2022, 9:52 pm

Teen titans was going to get a 80s cartoon. Only a psa was ever made in the long run and cyborg ended up in superfriends.

A alien cartoon pilot was made--and never aired. To this date it's still not released as far as i know. (unless it's on one of the alien blu-rays?)

They had a gizmo and the gremlins pilot also that never got released.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 27th, 2022, 4:52 am

Cool to see the real Real Ghostbusters piece again; I’ve always enjoyed that as a full-on animated video version of the theme song, really, rather than "just" a "pilot" sequence.

Gumby was…fun? Without ongoing music the sparse soundtrack with just sound effects, mostly, felt like some bizarre European experimental short, and you could kind of see that they didn’t really have a full plan for what was going to happen.

The Alien video was interesting, though it clearly states that a pilot was never made — the animated boards that have been seen come from unused animation for a TV commercial, as is explained, so there’s no pilot to be found on any Alien home video release as it was never made. Still crazy that those hard R-rated films could get toylines though!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 27th, 2022, 7:09 am

Not as crazy as you think.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 27th, 2022, 7:13 am

Last two had toys also. They had a talking freddy toy, 900 number and gum aimed at kids in the 80s and the 70s gave us a alien toy also.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 27th, 2022, 8:35 am

No wonder you crazy Yanks love your guns so…

To be fair, Demolition Man (wow I haven’t seen that in a while) and RoboCop were kids films for adults, and Police Academy, after the first two, basically became a family franchise anyway. Terminator 2 I'm not sure warrants a "mobile assault vehicle" (doesn’t being a vehicle to start off with indicate that it’s already mobile?) for kids *or* adults, but it’s nuts to see how these things were marketed as toys.

I remember the Police Academy show…guess that theme dates it to around 1994's Citizens On Patrol. It later got a one or two season live-action series, which was "better" than a cartoon, though neither really reached the admittedly low bar of the original films, much as we loved them back then.

And of course Rambo got a cartoon. I knew about that but never bothered looking at it…that's semi-hilarious, going as it does, and as so many of these spin-offs did, almost totally against what made the original films work as well as they did. Pretty crazy, though I do remember the Jaws toys that came out around Jaws 2's release…we had the one with the snapping, er, jaws, that you had to fish the items out from.

All good summer blockbuster fun for all the family…! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 27th, 2022, 9:49 am

Yeah 80s and 90s kids loved R films. Police academy was so big it turned into a family series by movie 5. Beverly hills cops was huge with kids and fridey the 13th and elm street were so big with kids tons of kids merch like nes games, freddy hosting mtv for the teen crowd and other things. Toxic avenger had a cartoon, toys and comics aimed at kids. House party had a kids cartoon and comic. R rated conan had kids merch and comics. Cool world was not R but had kids comics.

Arnold was on nick promoting t2. Commando had toys and kids sheets and shirts also!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 27th, 2022, 9:54 am

Kids get your parents ok to call freddy!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 27th, 2022, 6:27 pm

gaastra wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 9:49 am
Yeah 80s and 90s kids loved R films.
Well, that's where all the good ones WERE, once VHS was invented.

Back in '82-'83, they had to make He-Man, just to make up for us not being able to see Conan the Barbarian, but by the mid-80's we got "Conan the Destroyer" and a cartoon.
Ben wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 8:35 am
I remember the Police Academy show…And of course Rambo got a cartoon.
Yep, Rambo got a cartoon, and Robocop and Highlander got a cartoon AND a LA series each.

Kid 'N Play, however, on the then breakout popularity of the House Party movies, was Filmation trying to bring Fat Albert into hip 80s Saturday morning. They didn't have much of the 80s left.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 27th, 2022, 6:58 pm

Filmation wasn't involved with "Kid 'n Play" and it came out in the 90s.