[Old] New features!

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
Locked
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 6791
Joined: October 16th, 2004
Contact:

[Old] New features!

Post by James » November 21st, 2004, 1:28 am

I've added a few updates to the forum - some are under the hood but some you'll notice right away!

- SAVE AS DRAFT: Now when you post a message, you'll see a "Save as draft" button right next to the "Preview" and "Submit" buttons. If for some reason you start a post but want to finish it later just click this button. This will save everything you've already typed for later! When you're ready to finish your post click the "View your drafts and posts" right above the forum topics on the front page. A list of all your drafts will be displayed (along with a list of all your already posted messages). Choose which draft you want to complete and finish up as usual!

- WATCHED TOPICS: At the bottom of every thread you'll find a link that says "Watch this topic for replies". Click this and every time someone responds to that thread you'll get an email! Click the "Watched Topics" link at the top of each page to see a list of threads you are watching and to turn off email notification of a thread.

- HIDE: When you are posting a message and want to write something others may not want to see - such as a spoiler for a movie - use the new "Hide" button. Putting text between the "Hide" tags will hide the text unless a user clicks it. Here's an example:
click to reveal content
This is the "Hide" tag in action!
- PRIVATE MESSAGE ALERT: When you receive a new private message, the icon next to private message link at the top of each page will blink until you go to your in box, like this: Image

Please let me know of any problems you encounter with these new features.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: October 22nd, 2004

Post by Macaluso » November 21st, 2004, 1:44 am

Spiffy.

Now just add a quick reply box and optional skins, and this place will ROCK

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 6791
Joined: October 16th, 2004
Contact:

Post by James » November 21st, 2004, 1:53 am

Quick reply, coming soon!
Optional skins, probably not! Sorry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 38
Joined: October 18th, 2004
Location: Southern California

Re: New features!

Post by MusicFan » November 21st, 2004, 2:16 am

James wrote:I've added a few updates to the forum - some are under the hood but some you'll notice right away!

- SAVE AS DRAFT: Now when you post a message, you'll see a "Save as draft" button right next to the "Preview" and "Submit" buttons. If for some reason you start a post but want to finish it later just click this button. This will save everything you've already typed for later! When you're ready to finish your post click the "View your drafts and posts" right above the forum topics on the front page. A list of all your drafts will be displayed (along with a list of all your already posted messages). Choose which draft you want to complete and finish up as usual!

- WATCHED TOPICS: At the bottom of every thread you'll find a link that says "Watch this topic for replies". Click this and every time someone responds to that thread you'll get an email! Click the "Watched Topics" link at the top of each page to see a list of threads you are watching and to turn off email notification of a thread.

- HIDE: When you are posting a message and want to write something others may not want to see - such as a spoiler for a movie - use the new "Hide" button. Putting text between the "Hide" tags will hide the text unless a user clicks it. Here's an example:
click to reveal content
This is the "Hide" tag in action!
- PRIVATE MESSAGE ALERT: When you receive a new private message, the icon next to private message link at the top of each page will blink until you go to your in box, like this: Image

Please let me know of any problems you encounter with these new features.
Very nice, very, very nice. Bravo!
click to reveal content
Speaking of Bravo, now I am suddenly thinking about James Lipton, the guy who hosts the show Inside The Actor's Studio on the TV network Bravo. Speaking of Inside The Actor's Studio, they have officially run out of people to interview and/or the people didn't want to appear on the show, anyways, the entire Animated News staff will appear on a special 2-hour edition of Inside The Actor's Studio on Bravo, next Sunday at 8 ET/5 PT. We just got done taping it, it was quite an enjoyable experience. There was a quite lengthy discussion of coffee cake, but I am thinking that will be cut out.
click to reveal content
The previous hidden thing was a joke, the Animated News staff will not appear on a special 2-hour edition of Inside The Actor's Studio next Sunday, as far as I'm aware.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: October 22nd, 2004

Post by Macaluso » November 21st, 2004, 6:33 pm

Whooooa, what's with the stars?

How come some of us have the stars colored, and some of us don't?

I dunno what's up with them, but I wanna know.

I mean, don't get me wrong.
I think they are spiffy ^_^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 43
Joined: October 22nd, 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Guardstone » November 21st, 2004, 6:45 pm

Great new features. I'm especially charmed by the 'Hide' function, haven't seen that on any forum yet, and it seems like a very good addition to the AN forum. Nice!

The little blinking icon could be a bit more 'in your face' though, I doubt whether I'd actually notice it.

Cheers!
Jolle

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 6791
Joined: October 16th, 2004
Contact:

Post by James » November 21st, 2004, 8:11 pm

The stars are part of this forum's ranking system, which until now was turned off. Basically what it is is that the more posts you have the higher your rank (or number of stars). For example when you just join you'll have zero stars; when you have 2000 posts you'll have all your stars. It's just a way to recognize our long participating members, and a way to let new people see who the regulars are.
Last edited by James on March 9th, 2005, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 6791
Joined: October 16th, 2004
Contact:

Post by James » November 21st, 2004, 8:14 pm

Guardstone wrote:Great new features. I'm especially charmed by the 'Hide' function, haven't seen that on any forum yet, and it seems like a very good addition to the AN forum. Nice!

The little blinking icon could be a bit more 'in your face' though, I doubt whether I'd actually notice it.
Yes, I'm rather fond of the Hide feature myself!

There was a fine line when it came to the blinking icon. A lot of internet users HATE (and I mean LOTHE!) blinking text and blinking animated graphics. I think the graphic as is meets a happy medium - easily ignorable, or obvious when you look for it.

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 6791
Joined: October 16th, 2004
Contact:

Post by James » November 21st, 2004, 8:24 pm

Oh yeah! Another new feature is that if you have set the option to receive an email notification when you get a private message, that email will now tell you who sent you the private message!

User avatar
Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 18384
Joined: October 22nd, 2004
Location: London, UK

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2004, 10:03 am

I love the Hide idea too!

"Look! Stars! Ready when you are Raoul..." ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: October 22nd, 2004

Post by Macaluso » November 22nd, 2004, 11:01 am

Ben wrote:I love the Hide idea too!

"Look! Stars! Ready when you are Raoul..." ;)
"I can take it don't worry about me!"
"I'm not worried about you, I'm worried about the refrigorator"

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 6791
Joined: October 16th, 2004
Contact:

Post by James » March 9th, 2005, 5:53 pm

QUICK REPLY IS HERE! You can now reply to messages without having to click the REPLY button and wait for another page to load. The quick reply form does not have all the extra features that the regular reply page has. So if you want to use the HIDE option or other formatting tools, use the regular reply page.
Last edited by James on June 15th, 2005, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 1419
Joined: October 22nd, 2004

Post by Macaluso » March 9th, 2005, 6:24 pm

YES!

You don't even KNOW how happy I am about this.

<3 quick reply

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Posts: 165
Joined: January 24th, 2005
Location: New Hampshire

Post by AniMan » March 9th, 2005, 7:54 pm

Great improvements! This is one of the easiest forums I've ever used!
Way to go, James! (just used quick-reply.. me likey)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

Animated Views Admin
Animated Views Admin
Posts: 6791
Joined: October 16th, 2004
Contact:

Post by James » May 28th, 2005, 11:50 pm

Two new features now online - one small and one big.

- At the bottom of the front page of the forum in the "Who is Online" box you can now see what the last post made was.
- At the bottom of your posts is a new fangled "Quick Edit" button. Click it to edit a post on the spot. To edit a post using the formatting tools, go the old fashioned "edit" button to the right of your post.

Let me know of any problems.

Locked