Pixar Short Films Collection DVD Announced!

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » June 11th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Macaluso wrote:I thought Boundin was their weakest short movie.
Nah. Of all the shorts I've seen, I'd say their weakest is Mike's New Car. I mean, sure it's funny, but it just didn't seem to be all that clever.

Then again, I don't think I've seen every single Pixar short out there, but I'm talking about their very first shorts. What about The Adventures of André and Wally B. or Tin Toy? Never saw either one of those ever.

My top 3 Pixar shorts would be Jack-Jack Attack, Knick Knack, and For The Birds.

Gooch wrote:Btw, does anyone else also think the "teeth man" (the old man who said 'you're gonna help me find my teeth') in Meet the Robinsons trailer looks like the old man in Geri's Game?
I can see how you would say that, but it's not him. And if you ask me, the Geri's game man is way more realistic looking. Or should I say, he's way more detailed?

And your English isn't bad, Gooch. ^__~

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 11th, 2006, 8:13 pm

I don't count shorts like Mike's New Car and Jack-Jack Attack to be actual shorts...More like spin-offs.

I think my favorite is Tin Toy, but I didn't really care for Red's Dream.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » June 11th, 2006, 8:24 pm

I guess they really aren't shorts, although they are short animations. :P

And Jack-Jack Attack was more like a deleted scene-turned-short, but it's still my favorite.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 11th, 2006, 10:19 pm

"Tin-Toy" gives me the creeps. I think it's the baby. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 12th, 2006, 2:16 am

I don't count shorts like Mike's New Car and Jack-Jack Attack to be actual shorts.
Yeah, they are a little different. I don't think either one had a theatrical release. They were just little DVD bonus features. I really liked Jack Jack Attack and how it fits seamlessly with the movie but has an extra creepy effect when you see it after having seen the movie all the way through.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Gooch » June 12th, 2006, 7:55 am

PixarVixen wrote:
I can see how you would say that, but it's not him. And if you ask me, the Geri's game man is way more realistic looking. Or should I say, he's way more detailed?

And your English isn't bad, Gooch. ^__~

~~=oP
Awww, thanks PV! U made my day!

I don't know much about film-making. Can anyone tell me what is the purpose for making shorts? I always think shorts should be more experimental. If so, no wonder Mike's Car seems a little weak. Oh and while we are on shorts, has anybody seen Cubic Tragedy?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » June 12th, 2006, 11:20 am

Meg wrote:I don't count shorts like Mike's New Car and Jack-Jack Attack to be actual shorts...More like spin-offs.
The exact same feeling i have here. I think the next pixar "spinoff" short is going to be about mater...
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 12th, 2006, 11:42 am

Yes, it's starring Mater and Sherrif, and it's called 'Ghost Light'. I can't wait for it, becuase all the characters from Cars are so much fun, and I want to spend more time with them! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2006, 11:56 am

With an opening like they have had, I bet you'll be able to...

"Cars Ride Again" on the way, me thinks... :)

-------------------------------

BTW, I agree that Mike's New Car and Jack-Jack Attack shouldn't really be seen as true "Pixar Shorts", since you can't bung someone down in front of a screen and say "here watch this" and have them "get it" like they would an Andre And Wally B, Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Knick-Knack or a Geri's Game.

In fact, they'd be completely lost with Jack-Jack! And as for fitting "seamlessly" into the movie, I don't quite see that, since we were supoosed to cut back to that several times throughout the movie, but do agree that it's a fun kind of coda to see after the film finishes (however a shame that they didn't keep the same 2.35:1 ratio for REAL transparancey).

-------------------------------

I'd love to see a Pixar shorts disc that packs them all in, but most of all, all of the little Luxo Jr spin offs produced for Sesame Street. Not sure if that was Pixar directly, but would be a great addition.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » June 12th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Gooch wrote:Can anyone tell me what is the purpose for making shorts?
Not all stories have to be told in a time period of 2 hours. Some can be simple and short and still be very entertaining.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 12th, 2006, 4:18 pm

I'd love to see a Pixar shorts disc that packs them all in, but most of all, all of the little Luxo Jr spin offs produced for Sesame Street. Not sure if that was Pixar directly, but would be a great addition.
Yeah! I'd love to see some of those again. My mom always used to tell me about Luxo's cameos on Sesame Street but I always though she was crazy...Until I started to read about them on the net.
"Cars Ride Again" on the way, me thinks...
Yes please

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 13th, 2006, 12:18 am

Can anyone tell me what is the purpose for making shorts? I always think shorts should be more experimental.
The purpose for a short is to show something entertaining in a short amount of time. Experimentation would be a secondary purpose.

And as far as Jack-Jack Attack fitting seamlessly, what I meant by that is that the information we learn from it meshes well with the information we learned from the movie, not that you could just slip the short as it stands into the movie at some point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » June 13th, 2006, 2:02 am

Heh, I remember watching those lamp shorts on Sesame Street when I was little. I've been wanting to see some of those to refresh my memory; too bad Sesame Street doesn't have any good segments anymore. Happened to find it on TV a couple times, and I think my brain melted.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 13th, 2006, 6:32 pm

I first met those lamps on Sesame Street. I remember them showing us the meaning of "Surprise".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by DElf4242 » July 3rd, 2006, 9:21 pm

I agree with Macaluso that "Boundin'" was my least-favorite Pixar short. I guess I just prefer their usual no-voice-whatsoever style. My personal favorite shorts would be "Geri's Game" and "For The Birds."
Ben wrote:"Cars Ride Again" on the way, me thinks... :)
I haven't gotten a chance to rent it yet, although I will as soon as I can, but I've read that the Cars video game has a storyline that was written by the people at Pixar and functions as a sort of sequel. The synopsis that I've read (which can be found, of course, on Wikipedia ;)) sounds pretty good, although obviously a synopsis doesn't do any story justice, so I'll just have to get my hands on the game as soon as possible and find out for myself. :D

And speaking of the Ghost Light short, after hearing about it and then going to see Cars a second time (with many more to come :D), I noticed that when Lightning and Mater are coming back from tractor tipping, you can faintly hear Mater saying that next time they'll go looking for the ghost light. Of course, I'm sure you've all already noticed that, but I'm proud of myself for picking up on it all on my own. :P
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/delf4242/supahgenius.gif[/img]

My other car is a Gyoza.