The incredibly cool online animation thread

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 11th, 2006, 9:32 am

ShyViolet wrote:There's some amazing stuff on Youtube. Not just those excerpts but some really rare cartoons--I finally got to see "Der Feurer's Face"! :) Excellent!
What, paying out for a pristine copy on the Front Lines DVD set (which any self respecting animation fan - let alone Disney - should have) wasn't good enough for ya? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 11th, 2006, 10:23 pm

*Sheepish* :oops: Well, I'm not made of money! :)

Anyway, first I want Mickey Volume I, Cinderella and Lady and the Tramp.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2006, 11:37 am

Ultimate Disney said that somewhere was doing major price drops on the Treasures. Check it out.

GeorgeC

The Plastic Man you WON'T see on TV...

Post by GeorgeC » August 28th, 2006, 2:27 pm

http://www.addictingclips.com/Clip.aspx ... 9F59E39B02

Pretty good pilot short. The closest thing in spirit to the original Jack Cole comics that's been done in animation.

Shame it got passed on because it's not half-bad for a pilot!

Much, much better than 95% of the crap that HAS been put into production.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 28th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Think someone else tried to post this from YouTube but WB have been pretty quick to get around and cancel these links out.

The one you provided here didn't work for me (the movie was "rejected") but I'm itching to see this now after the good buzz it's been generating!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 30th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Yeah, the link's down now.

Glad I got to see it while I could...! :cry:

Once again, a legal department strikes down a film that otherwise won't be seen by anybody outside of WB Corporate!

Honestly, with a bit more work it could have been a good series.

This pilot could be the reason why Plastic Man wasn't allowed even an onscreen cameo in the JLU series.

Of course, I never though Plas really belonged in the Justice League (they're already got Elongated Man), but a lot of these cross-licensing issues are just plain stupid legal mumbo-jumbo to justify corporate lawyers' salaries.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 30th, 2006, 11:12 pm

There's also that new Fantastic Four series on Cartoon Network that's coming http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... gi?id=8237
Wow, that's an awful lot of stretchy guys! :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 31st, 2006, 3:38 am

The pilot is back on You Tube .. click fast, if you wanna see it .. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 31st, 2006, 7:16 am

Yes! Caught it!

Was pretty good for a pilot, and I was impressed by the boarding/directing. PM's stretchy limbs as he was engaging in dialogue were nice touches, and I loved the puddle reflection gag.

I wasn't sure about the age target...some of it was aimed quite young and then there would be some random gags that felt like it was hitting higher.

If I were WB, I don't think I would commission it on the strength of this pilot alone, but I would suggest completing a proper "epsiode one" and making a decision then.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 1st, 2006, 3:19 am

The storyboards are by the immensely-talented Stephen DeStefano, whose work I have loved ever since he co-created DC comics' 'Mazing Man back in the mid-1980's .. a funnybook which was very much in the spirit of Jack Cole's original Plastic Man stories.

Very playful stuff; my favorite gag in the pilot was 'Plas' following 'the Puddle' through the cardboard tube. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 2nd, 2006, 1:29 pm

ShyViolet wrote:There's also that new Fantastic Four series on Cartoon Network that's coming
I was gonna try and catch the premier last night but opted for a Stargate SG-1 marathon instead...As I feared the designs seem to be pretty anime inspired. Shame.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 2nd, 2006, 5:06 pm

As I feared the designs seem to be pretty anime inspired. Shame.

Oh, crud! :(

I was hoping for something more along the lines of the original X-Men series.

But I guess it's all gotta be Teen Titans/X-Men Evolution/Power Puff Girls/Supermonkeyhyperforceteamgo nowadays. *vomits*

Maybe I'm just "out of it", but I just don't get T.V. animation anymore.... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 19th, 2006, 10:18 pm

I saw an extremely racist cartoon on there that was quite interesting...quite shocking as well. I think it involved a character stealing watermelons. Can't get more racist than that. There's still a lot of that on there.

How about gathering all those old racist cartoons and putting them on a DVD for historical/cinematic value? (With someone to explain each cartoon of course) It would be great for doing a report. I think it's O.K. to have material like that out there as long as it's put into the right context.

(Although yeah, even though I use YouTube I agree that it's not right....because even with the "bad quality", some videos are better than others, and the vast majority of people don't care a whole lot about quality, all they want is to see something--and they'll see it, and forget about it. All very bad for the company it's copyrigted from. :roll: )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 9th, 2006, 2:24 pm

I thought theses articles might interest some of the YouTube fans here:

As noticed by Cartoon Brew, Terry Teachout from The Wall Street Journal has written an interesting essay on how YouTube is helping fine arts find an audience. Amid Amidi describes the article as "must-read." I agree that it's worth a look.

Meanwhile, word has it, via Reuters, that Google might purchase YouTube.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

confirmed

Post by bawpcwpn » October 9th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Mickey wrote: Meanwhile, word has it, via Reuters, that Google might purchase YouTube.
Its confirmed. Google have bought YouTube for $1.65 billion
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome