The incredibly cool online animation thread

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 6th, 2007, 9:17 am

Yes, they <I>paid</I> them less, but then they also got a lot more on the back end. It's what also caused this whole less upfront/more on the back thinking of current Hollywood.

AV Team
AV Team

"Woodpecker"

Post by Josh » October 12th, 2007, 4:16 am

This short film, Woodpecker, was featured on the front page of Yahoo! yesterday. I thought you guys might want to check it out:
Description wrote:A Tape Art animation created at the Worcester Art Museum. This public art work was created in 24 hours. All drawing, video editing and sound was executed in that time frame.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 13th, 2007, 3:46 am

Ah. :) I get it now.

This isn't exactly a promo or live performance, but a very interesting interview from some years ago with Kim Masters, who wrote the book The Keys to the Kingdom: The Rise of Michael Eisner and the fall of Everyone else.

Now, I have very mixed feelings on her book, as it had a ton of interesting stuff in it and then goes off in a million other boring directions :?......but she knows her stuff VERY well (just isn't a terribly good writer.) A lot of what she says is interesting (it was 2000 but much of what she predicted came true in a sense.)

She starts at 29:20
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 13th, 2007, 4:01 am

This is pretty cool too: (not mine of course)

"The Disney decade that never was"
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 14th, 2007, 3:50 am

Great little film. But wow, all of that was done in 24 hours? Amazing. Thanks for posting it, Josh!

For future reference, all random/animated short films should be posted in this thread -- no worries though, since it is new and has yet to be renamed. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 2nd, 2007, 10:19 pm

Old Great Mouse Detective Featurette:

EDIT: You have to click on the link, otherwise it'll say: "No Longer Available" but you can watch it from YT.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 3rd, 2007, 9:49 am

Posted by Barrie Ingham, eh?

This is from the Basil DVD. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Christmas AT&T and Aflac ads

Post by Josh » December 23rd, 2007, 1:07 am

For those of you who haven't seen these yet, I wanted to point out a few Christmas commercials that have proven to be pretty popular this year.

The first ad allows us to see which insurance company Rudolph uses, taking inspiration from the 1964 Rankin/Bass classic:

The second ad features Steve Buscemi and Norm MacDonald as the voices of some gingerbread folks who are trying to repair their house - and promote AT&T:

I think the AT&T ad might be my favorite of the two. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 23rd, 2007, 3:09 am

There's no doubt in my mind, the second one is my favorite as well. :) Its just cuter and I love the detail.

"Come on man, its the holidays" Ha! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Animation Video Swicki

Post by willpollard » January 23rd, 2008, 11:19 am

I have started a Video Swicki for animation

http://www.acrobat-services.co.uk/anima ... wicki.html

A Swicki is a search wiki. Anyone can promote / demote results for particular searches. The video aspect is an image based equivalent for a wordcloud. The size of each box varies depending on the number of searches.

I will be blogging through animated Exeter at
http://animexeter.blogspot.com/

most posts will relate to the Video Swicki.

Please have a look. Comment welcome. Please encourage others. Results improve with the volume of use

best

will

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 23rd, 2008, 2:52 pm

Hey Will...welcome to our forum, and we hope you stick around as opposed to a one off post for your site.

Speaking of which, I'm moving this to our Internet section. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 23rd, 2008, 6:58 pm

OK, technically this did come from Disney (Hollywood Pictures) so.... :)

Behind-the-scenes of Mario Brothers 1993!! :P Hilarious!

Poor Bob Hoskins. He's so great here though....watch how he tries to bring dignity to Mario.

(Part 1 of 3)

Part 2:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2008, 6:06 am

It's almost sacrilege to say, but this wasn't as bad as everybody makes out. It wasn't <I>good</I>, and I don't have it in the collection or anything, but every time I see it I get a bit of a kick out of it and it makes me smile. I just don't think the story was "big" enough to encompass the game, and Hopper - as always - overacted himself off the screen.

Hoskins is always good value, and that little dinosaur thing wasn't half bad either. The biggest mystery is how so many respected crew people could turn in a movie that didn't live up to expectations.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 24th, 2008, 7:19 pm

It does have its moments. I love the Luigi-Mario brother relationship. :) (totally original and in no way drawing from video game, where they were both more or less the same character.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 20th, 2008, 5:21 am

Pretty random but that Eisner/Kermit spot up there from two years ago (it hasn't been pulled yet so I guess it's OK :P) wasn't the full version. Here's the complete one: (This was in '87)

:)