Site and Forum maintenance

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Site and Forum maintenance

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2023, 6:27 pm

Been fine since you handled it a couple of weeks ago, as far as I know. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 1st, 2023, 11:42 pm

It glitched on me a couple of times this week, but seemed fine today.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 2nd, 2023, 2:13 pm

Not as bad as before, but still going down everyday. I got the dreaded screen like three times yesterday.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 10th, 2023, 12:58 pm

Please tell me the site is being weird for everyone? I don't know if what I did yesterday triggered this, but the site is behaving like the last time the site tried to update. Unable to edit, quoting makes text all micro, and the icons if a thread is unread are missing. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 10th, 2023, 3:14 pm

I've been working on the site all day to day to get it ready for the Oscars and have caused a few new problems! Good news is I know what they are, I think, so just need to knock them out!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 10th, 2023, 4:24 pm

That's a relief.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2023, 5:18 pm

Yeah, you’re not the only one Dan! I wrote a whole Oscars analysis thingy and was over two thirds and lost it! Luckily, I managed to get it back in a garbled version that I could copy to my text app and start again…ouch! When we know all is good I’ll post it again! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 10th, 2023, 11:52 pm

Same here:
Any attempt to quote or edit gets the "squashed" post all highlit, with no possibility of correction, and some threads can't be responded to at all.
I'll be glad when this Oscars is over, and not just because of the Googly-Eyes movie...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 11th, 2023, 9:50 am

Sorry about the forum issues. I was trying to fix the errors some people were getting before Oscar weekend and ended up making things worse! The good news is the fix is relatively easy and should just take a few minutes to do. The bad news is I can't make the fix -- our web provider has to do it on their end. Unfortunately they didn't respond to my email yesterday and I don't know if they work on weekends.

However, I did have an idea.

patrick.jpg
patrick.jpg (81.89 KiB) Viewed 8366 times

You'll notice the forum has a slightly different address! I've basically just coped everything to a part of our server that is not having the problem. And when our web provider finally fixes the issue, I'll revert us right back.

There might be some bugs with this plan! (Feel free to report any here.) But it seems to be working better than what we had before. Also, while some things like posts and edits will still be here when we change back to our regular address, any file attachments or avatar changes will not copy over. So might be best not to use those features for now.

Thankfully the chat room seems to be good as well, so hopefully we're still on for the Oscars!

Sorry about this guys! Terrible week for this to happen, but hopefully we'll be back to normal soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 11th, 2023, 12:46 pm

*Sigh* He has such a way with words. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2023, 2:10 pm

Well I didn’t notice the link switcheroo and everything seems to be back to normal, so YAY! Well done Big W…yes, a bit of a weekend for it to happen! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 11th, 2023, 4:12 pm

Woohoo! Our web provider just emailed that they have flipped the switch I needed them to fix and we should be back up and running on our original forum URL. Continue watching for bugs, though. And who knows if the original issue I was trying to correct got fixed yet. But I'll look into that AFTER the chat not before. I learned that lesson!

Sorry again for all the trouble.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2023, 5:42 pm

:)

Yeah, maybe a heads up before you tinker with the engine…just in case! ;)

But we’ll done for catching everything and getting us back for tomorrow — must admit I was biting my nails when the chat failed! :shock:

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 14th, 2023, 1:14 pm

Unlike the previous issue, I think this next one is only effecting me. It has been happening since the forum went down, though I didn't catch on for a few days and just assumed it was a temporary glitch but now after the newest fix it's still happening. I don't know if it's my internet provider, computer or what, but if I click on too many threads in a short amount of time (ie, six) I'm literally blocked out for an hour! This is the message I get:
This site can’t be reached

forum.animatedviews.com took too long to respond.

Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT
And when I click details:
Check your Internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.

Allow Chrome to access the network in your firewall or antivirus settings.
If it is already listed as a program allowed to access the network, try removing it from the list and adding it again.

If you use a proxy server…
Check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working.
If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server: Go to the Chrome menu > Settings > Show advanced settings… >
Change proxy settings… > LAN Settings and deselect "Use a proxy server for your LAN".
I think I did the second option, but no change. And tried putting the site on "sites I trust" but nada. If I space out my postings (say five minutes) I'm not locked out. Looking around online I found that MAYBE my provider detects some type of virus and it's blocking me for my safety? It's so weird and exhausting. Hopefully you might have an idea. Times like this I hate technology.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by blackcauldron85 » March 15th, 2023, 9:20 am

I've been getting that, too, Dan. I've been getting The Site Can't Be Reached message, but not just on the forum- the homepage too.

When trying to post this I got it, too. For me, I'm getting it just clicking on things, not just if I already posted something.

(After a few minutes I could go back to the homepage, but if I click on anything, I get the message again.)

Even trying on the computer on a different browser than on the phone wouldn't work.

This site can’t be reachedforum.animatedviews.com refused to connect.
Try:

Checking the connection
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
(Details)
Check your Internet connection
Check any cables and reboot any routers, modems, or other network devices you may be using.