Upcoming animated films calendar and date changes

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Upcoming animated films calendar and date changes

Post by Dacey » September 19th, 2017, 2:28 pm

The Croods 2 is back! I'm assuming things were worked out so that Universal gets distribution rights. September 18, 2020.

And another DreamWorks film, Spooky Jack, is set for September 17, 2021.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 19th, 2017, 2:45 pm

I wonder if Spinal Tarp will be doing the music? ;)

(Yes, I realise that this joke is soooo insider and obscure, but you'll be my friend for life if you actually get both references there. :D )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lolifofo » September 22nd, 2017, 2:45 pm

Anubis should be removed from the calendar. It was removed from the 20th Century Fox release schedule after The Mummy bombed at the box office.

"Other new release dates from the studio include Oct. 5, 2018 for the Drew Goddard thriller Bad Times at the El Royale; March 1, 2019 for The Force, from Logan director James Mangold; Feb. 14, 2020 for the animated film Nimona. Meanwhile, animated film Anubis, previously set for March 23, 2018, has been taken off the calendar. The film had already been pushed once. "

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... es-1018210

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lolifofo » September 22nd, 2017, 6:52 pm

Oh and also, Sherlock Gnomes was moved from its January release date to take the place of Anubis on 3/23.

Source: http://deadline.com/2017/05/paramount-s ... 202103355/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 26th, 2017, 12:48 am

With how far into production it must've been, it being "removed" completely would be unlikely (especially from the dependable Blue Sky label). But I'll remove it from the calendar for now.

Teen Titans Go!: July 27th, 2018.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2017, 6:20 am

If it was anywhere near ready for its release date then it would have been in animation by now, most likely with the Ferdinand team.

My guess is that it's either been recorded but continues to be rejigged (hence being pushed once already) or that it's privately never got past the story reels and they're having a rethink. It could still come, at some point, but I'd suggest it never got into animation - once you're well into that point you're kind of committed, which is why it's maybe been pulled at this point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lolifofo » September 26th, 2017, 11:54 pm

Almost every secondary source (Box Office Mojo, IMDb, Movie Insider, comingsoon.net) is now reporting that Peter Rabbit is releasing 2/9 of next year, which makes sense from a business perspective because we can't be having THREE animated movies releasing on the same date. However, I can't find an official confirmation from Sony. The recent trailer only tells us that it's coming next spring, so make of that what you will.

Honestly, even two animated movies (Isle of Dogs + Sherlock Gnomes) releasing on the same date seems a little weird even though Isle of Dogs is not quite a conventional animated film and may not even get a wide release. We'll see if anything changes.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2017, 2:55 am

Maybe they should just release Peter on that date and let it die a quick and painless death, or just not release it at all? ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 4th, 2017, 2:12 pm

Bob's Burgers (!!!!): July 17th, 2020

Trolls 2: February 14th, 2020.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 5th, 2017, 6:42 am

I'm up for another Trolls.

With our new home theater up and runnng, we've started going back over the last few years of animated films I've bought but never watched, last night's being Penguins Of Madagascar. Yeah, it was a slice of fun, but not anything DWA needs to make another sequel to. When will Studios realise that supporting characters (Penguins, Dory) work as supports for a reason! Not that Penguins was bad - I lol'd a couple of times - but I'm kind of hoping the Minions movie will be better than just another one-joke extension (need to watch Despicable 2 first though!).

More Trolls might work, though. It was an unexpected joy for the most part, and while I'd love them to go back to some of the more daring originals they were planning, it's cool that Universal are allowing DWA to continue along the same lines rather than shutting down every other production. Even China seems to still be on, with four or so originals coming from them in the next few years.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by lolifofo » October 12th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Lots of animation news this week!

"... Fox also said The Call of the Wild from director Chris Sanders will open wide on December 25, 2019. Erwin Stoff produces from Michael Green’s script. Call of the Wild is a hybrid film based on Jack London’s novel. Technoprops, a VR production company acquired by Fox and which worked on The Jungle Book, is part of the production.

Also, the animated feature Ron’s Gone Wrong will go wide on November 6, 2020. Pic is the first out of Fox’s deal with Locksmith Animation."

Really excited for Locksmith's first project. They currently house some leading members of the teams behind Arthur Christmas and Shaun the Sheep Movie, two excellent and hilarious films, imo.

We now also have a release date for Gnome Alone, March 2, 2018! Two movies about gnomes in the same year? Can we handle it? ;)

Sources:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/channing-ta ... 202187558/

https://twitter.com/GnomeAloneFilm/stat ... 4490589184

EDIT: Actually, never mind about The Call of the Wild film. It looks like it's going to be more The Jungle Book (2016) than The Smurfs (2011).

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 15th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Duck Duck Goose is no longer listed on Box Office Mojo's release schedule. It was set to come out this Friday.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 15th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Dacey wrote:Duck Duck Goose is no longer listed on Box Office Mojo's release schedule. It was set to come out this Friday.
Looks like Sgt. Stubby took that representative April-disposable slot instead...So much for bad Dreamworks-cloning Chinese studios.
(And having sat through the DDG trailer, "No loss" is putting it MILDLY. :shock: )

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 17th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Official Facebook page not updated once since August, apparently...

https://www.facebook.com/DuckDuckGooseMovie/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 17th, 2020, 1:13 am

New features on the calendar page: view the calendar as a grid or a list (and have your choice saved for next time), then sort by release year and studio!

https://animatedviews.com/calendar/