Animated Views turns 10 years old!

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Best Animated Year

Post by Randall » October 20th, 2013, 12:55 am

I went with 2009--- largely because I loved Coraline, found much to enjoy with the goofy Monsters Vs. Aliens, was dazzled by Up's first few minutes, found Ponyo to be one of my favourite Ghibli films, and I thought that 9 and even Battle for Terra were admirable attempts at doing good sci-fi. Plus, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure (the best of the Tink movies) were unexpected delights, Astro Boy was a nostalgic fun ride (if a bit of a misfire), Princess and The Frog was much anticipated (and enjoyable if not as great as we'd hoped) and the one-two-three punch of Sita, Fantastic Mister Fox, and Secret of Kells brought true originality to animated films that year. Plus Disney's A Christmas Carol came close (for some) to actually validating motion capture; well, at least it looked pretty.

Sure, Ice Age 3 was mediocre and Planet 51 was best forgotten, but there were a whole bunch of dang fine or at least fun and memorable films that year. I don't see any other year that matches it for shear volume of good-to-greatness. Though, 2010 does come close.

What's interesting, though, is how easily I could be put off an entire year just by seeing one bad film on the list. 2008 sure had a few dogs in it. 2011 had a few great ones, but I couldn't forgive it for all the ones I either actively disliked or heard enough bad things about that I knew enough to ignore: Gnomeo and Juliet (shudder!), the medium-killing Mars Needs Moms, Puss in Boots, Happy Feet 2, and Hoodwinked Too.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 20th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Randall wrote:Gnomeo and Juliet (shudder!)
There are actually movies you and Ben don't agree on? ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 20th, 2013, 11:13 pm

Dacey wrote:There are actually movies you and Ben don't agree on? ;)
The odd one. I think he came close to calling me a moron for liking Beowulf. ;) But, in my defence: naked Angelina.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Animated Views turns 10 years old!

Post by Ben » October 22nd, 2013, 11:12 am

No...the *hint* of naked Angelina! ;)

I'm more surprised at the many movies I keep learning Rand *hasn't* even seen! I mean, you'd have thought he'd have seen Superman IV by now...even with its reputation! ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 22nd, 2013, 2:26 pm

Lots of naked Ray Winstone, though. *cringes*
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 22nd, 2013, 11:31 pm

Ben wrote:I'm more surprised at the many movies I keep learning Rand *hasn't* even seen! I mean, you'd have thought he'd have seen Superman IV by now...even with its reputation! ;)
Whoa! I have seen that one a couple of times!

... which is sad, considering that I've never seen a lot of classics, like It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, or countless others that Ben bugs me about. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2013, 5:51 pm

That's exacertarly what I was getting at...! ;)

(I see the Oliver! pre-order is up for the Twilight Time release, nudge-nudge, wink-wink!) ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 23rd, 2013, 8:09 pm

I'm on it! Funny, they usually put out reminders, but I haven't seen one yet. I was thinking it was this week, though.

Correction: They did put out a Facebook reminder today. Might get Jane Eyre too.