AV Forum Member

Re: Oscar Chat 2020

Post by gaastra » February 9th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Toy story 4 won best animated picture.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 10th, 2020, 1:44 am

Hey Ben, remember in the chat when we were talking about the technicality that the International Oscar goes to the country not the individual? Then when Bong won for screenplay you said "doesn't matter, he's got an Oscar now to keep"?

Turns out it kinda matters! People are reporting that Bong tied Walt Disney for most Oscars won in one night (4) -- except for the technicality that the International Oscar goes to the country not the individual!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2020, 6:45 am

I don’t think I said it "doesn’t matter", just that "he gets to keep this one" when he won for directing. Interesting about who gets it though. I wonder where they/it actually ends up!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Oscar Chat 2021

Post by James » April 11th, 2021, 9:06 pm

Join members of the Animated Views team and your fellow forum members for a live chat during the Oscar telecast! Not only will we talk shop, we'll also keep a running live update of who is leading in our Oscar prediction contest throughout the night!

We'll officially kick off the chat at 7:30pm ET on Sunday, April 25th. Registered forum members can click the "Chat" link at the top of any forum page to enter the chat room. (The link is not there yet, but will be on Oscar night!)

CHAT ROOM NOTES:
- Let's keep the chat room rated PG please. Violators may be kicked out!
- The Flash plugin is NOT needed to access the room! Should work on tablets too.

(BTW - the contest is coming soon!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Oscar Chat 2021

Post by ibrmacf » April 22nd, 2021, 9:21 am

Not sure if I'll be able to make it this year, but I'll try to.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 22nd, 2021, 12:38 pm

Yo stranger! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » April 23rd, 2021, 9:05 am

Daniel wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 12:38 pm
Yo stranger! ;)
Hey Daniel, lol! Don't worry, I still check this website every single day whenever I use the Internet for the first time. I just gotta remember to use the forums more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 23rd, 2021, 2:00 pm

Yes. Yes you do. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 25th, 2021, 5:02 pm

I haven't seen a new (non-Disney+) movie since Onward played theaters, so I'll sit this year out.
I'm only tuning in to see the "movie-style" awards, and get previews for which missed movie I should rent...Pretty much what I've done for the last twelve years, only this time, I have to find out which Amazon movies people were actually taking seriously.

And, since the new screwed-up voting gives the prize to the Boring Second-Place Critics'-Award Indie by mistake, I'll predict Nomadland will walk away with Mank's Best Picture.
Only prediction of the evening, apart from sniffly Soul fans taking away Onward's Best Animated.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 25th, 2021, 6:31 pm

Except that Mank was exactly that. Truly "mank", in the British slang sense of the word.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » April 25th, 2021, 10:32 pm

Soul wins best animated picture.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 28th, 2021, 12:27 pm

Heard there was three new members that participated in the Oscar chat. Hope it wasn't just a one-off and y'all make yourselves known around here. Aside from one rotten egg, we're a friendly bunch. Could always use more voices!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LizzieL » April 28th, 2021, 1:45 pm

After the bizarre 'In memoriam' section - just read that it was faster than usual because they chose the song first then sped through the pictures to match up with the tempo. I'm not entirely sure that's really a good enough explanation for what was nothing short of bonkers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 28th, 2021, 3:05 pm

Love your avatar, LizzieL. Unico!

Yes, the memoriam segment was a travesty. Didn't like the music, and the timing was way too fast.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 28th, 2021, 5:18 pm

LizzieL wrote:
April 28th, 2021, 1:45 pm
After the bizarre 'In memoriam' section - just read that it was faster than usual because they chose the song first then sped through the pictures to match up with the tempo. I'm not entirely sure that's really a good enough explanation for what was nothing short of bonkers.
Wait, they actually SHOWED an In Memoriam? (I bailed early, while the pregnant woman was still going on, and only clicked in and out of curiosity for another half hour.)

If they could actually show film clips, despite the lack of a giant screen at Union Station, why did they not show any for the NOMINEES, instead of doing that "Your performance inspired me..." Testimonial shtick they abandoned ten years ago after it kept dying on stage?

At least we have a pandemic to explain for why no orchestra to play off the speeches after two minutes, and letting them go on for five...