Oscar Contest Archive

Updates, Announcements and Your Feedback
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Oscar Contest 2023

Post by Randall » March 12th, 2023, 12:11 pm

My picks at the moment (I'm not even checking this against what I chose a week ago):

Best Picture: EEAAO seems the likely choice, given the sheer amount of appreciation given to it, and all the noms here and elsewhere. As the most awarded film in history already *, it would be an upset for the Oscar to go to anything else.
* (https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/everyth ... 37sVDWwex1)

Actor: I'm going for Brendan, just because I want him to win. The guy has been through a lot, and it would be the feel-good story of the night. The suit did a lot of work for the look of the character, but the Academy also loves to see an actor shine though prosthetics. I've always loved my fellow Canadian, and would be thrilled to see him get this. And isn't everyone getting tired of Butler's Elvis-speak by now?

Actress: In any other year, Cate gets this. But this is Michelle's year. Cate could still certainly get it (and would be just as deserving), but this is going to be the Everything Show. I'm also biased here, having loved Michelle's work since seeing Tomorrow Never Dies, and many subsequent (and prior) film and TV productions. It's really cool seeing her achieve so much attention the past two years, in a remarkable career that has featured bursts of popularity.

Director: It's gotta be the Daniels, though the less showy but heavily dramatic Banshees might score a win here.

Supporting Actor: Maybe it's wishful thinking again, but by God do I want to see Ke make another acceptance speech. Give it to the little guy! Let's make it an Encino Man sweep!

Supporting Actress: Tough call here. I gave it to Angela as both a sentimental nod, as well as a Marvel win. But really, I don't know how this will go. I'm not even convinced on Jamie, though I wouldn't be surprised at all if she gets it. I sense that someone else may sneak in there, with votes being split a few ways.

Screenplay: This may go to something that doesn't win anything else. Tough call. EEAAO is audacious, but the other films maybe have stronger drama. I haven't seen the others, so I can't really judge.

Adapted Screenplay: I figure All Quiet will take this one. I can't wrap my brain around it going to a Top Gun film, no matter how popular it was.

Best Animated: Pinocchio, with no one else coming close, even if a couple of the other films are good. Marcel was barely an animated film, though, and I just hope that the Academy doesn't go the easy Pixar route, as Red simply isn't deserving (though I liked it fine). Puss may be great, but I can't see it making a dent in the votes. Sea Beast was good for an "independent" film, but failed to explain the motivation of the villains, and overall doesn't really stand out anyway.

Best Doc: No idea.

Best International Film: I can't see anything besides All Quiet taking it.

Best Score: I may have selected Johnny, but really I don't know.

Song: Rihanna gets another night to shine, with her emotional BPO song.

And after this it just gets fuzzier for me. Sure, Avatar for Visual Effects. The Batman might pull off a win for makeup, though The Whale seems an obvious choice for that, but the showiness of Black Panther could take it. Yes, I'm being wishy-washy now.

Best sound could go to Top Gun or All Quiet - close call. The design categories are both pretty close calls, too. For production design, I lean towards Elvis taking it (Babylon could surprise here, though). For costumes, I think I went with Black Panther.

No idea on the live action short films, though The Boy, etc. sems a likely win in the animated category simply due to its visibility.

Having said all that, I'm usually at the bottom in the contest, so a safer bet might be to go with the opposite of what I say, aside for the few obvious favorites.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 12th, 2023, 2:35 pm

D82 wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 12:04 am
I've just downloaded my ballot and I've realized I made I mistake in the Best Picture category. I thought had I marked Everything Everywhere All at Once, but I selected All Quiet in the Western Front instead. I should've checked everything before submitting the form. I guess it's not possible to change it now, right?
Sorry about that. Definitely too late to change now. But in the past ten years, three people have missed best pic and won. Or if there's a surprise you're going to have a leg up on the competition! Either way, good luck!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by WebTickets.com » March 12th, 2023, 3:55 pm

Glad to have found this site even if your deadline for the Oscar contest was way too early and I can not enter.

Good luck to all and to the winner, you are welcome, as I would have won. LOL.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by D82 » March 12th, 2023, 4:38 pm

Ben wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 4:35 am
Don’t worry…you might still be lucky! :)
You mean that All Quiet in the Western Front could still win, right? I highly doubt it, but at least I think that film and Top Gun: Maverick have a small chance of upsetting. It could've been worse; I could have accidentally picked one of the films that don't have any chances at all.
James wrote:
March 12th, 2023, 2:35 pm
Sorry about that. Definitely too late to change now. But in the past ten years, three people have missed best pic and won. Or if there's a surprise you're going to have a leg up on the competition! Either way, good luck!
Thank you, good luck to you too! And thanks for replying. I imagined it would be too late and I understand it. It's totally my fault. I think I made that mistake because at first, after making my picks, I realized I hadn't logged in and when I did the form reset and I had to fill it all in again and this time I did it quite quickly. I usually revise everything before posting or submitting something, but I guess I didn't do it this time not to be tempted to make any last minute changes, as those are usually for the worse. I still don't understand why I mistook one film for the other, though. Perhaps, it's because both titles are long and have the word "all" in them. In any case, I wasn't too confident in my choices this year. I don't think I would've done well anyway. The good thing is that I'll never forget to revise my ballot before submitting again. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » March 13th, 2023, 12:13 am

Thanks to all who entered the contest this year. Most players had a pretty good result with 61 of the 72 entries getting 50% or more correct.

We had a tie at the top this year. Two players got 19 out of the 21 categories we score correct (90.5%). They also tied in the first and second tie-breakers. In fact, they both had the exact same picks in every single category!

Congratulations to lisa and marlomanners, our 2023 winners! Both are new to our forum this year. (Feel free to stick around!) You both will be listed as champions in our Oscar contest record book!

Unfortunately only one person can win the actual prize so after applying tie-breaker #3 (a random drawing), the winner of the $50 gift card is marlomanners. We will be in contact with you very soon about claiming your prize.

If you played but didn't win, check out the results here to see how you did.

Thanks again everyone! Looking forward to seeing you in the forum over the coming year, and back here again for our 20th annual Oscar Event in 2024!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » March 13th, 2023, 8:05 am

15 right? Wow. My best score ever! Heh, I checked the bottom for my name first than went up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ibrmacf » March 13th, 2023, 8:32 am

Sorry guys that I couldn't attend the Oscars chat this year; I wanted to, but was busy with household stuff. It was probably for the better though as I got my absolute worst score ever since I started doing Oscars predictions, lol!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 13th, 2023, 2:23 pm

Until next year, stranger! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » February 29th, 2024, 7:02 am

When are we playing the Oscar game?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 29th, 2024, 7:16 am

Tomorrow!

Due to the Best of the Year article being a little later than usual, we pushed back the Oscar contest. Most players wait until the last week to enter every year, and the winner is almost always someone who does so. This year everybody gets to wait until the last week! :lol: