Scooby-Doo! Theatrical animated movie just announced

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Scooby-Doo! Theatrical animated movie just announced

Post by Daniel » June 26th, 2019, 3:15 pm

In Scooby related news, Warner is releasing Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! the complete series for the first time on Blu. Oh my! Packaging looks pretty groovy, nice they aren't relying on the Mystery Machine design again. Pretty unique. And it's limited! Zoinks! The bonus content sounds fascinating. Although a bit questionable, I love the little Scooby Pop included. Too cute! I am seriously tempted. Never got around to getting the show on DVD, so I may just bite the bullet. We shall see!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 26th, 2019, 9:19 pm

I'll pick up the Blu-ray set, but won't preorder the Limited Edition. A regular case will be fine for me. If they follow the Batman: TAS template, regular packaging could be out quite soon after the LE one. Or, a nice post-street date price drop on the LE set could work for me, too.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 26th, 2019, 9:21 pm

So now it’s the Scooby-Doo Movies, Jonny Quest AND the original Scoob on Blu? Remind me again why I bought all those DVDs...!? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 27th, 2019, 12:54 am

Because it was over 15 years ago, and no one had heard of Blu-ray then....?

I actually got Jonny as a screener, and also reviewed original Scooby after buying it immediately. But I only finally bought the Movies set last year when I at last found a sale price. But I will need all these Blu-ray sets now. Though I once thought that TV-level animation would see limited benefit in HD, I now know that's not the case... especially when Warner used some interlaced transfers on those early TV-on-DVD sets.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 27th, 2019, 1:00 am

That's a pretty sweet set. Plus it will probably go down for the holidays in terms of its price.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 27th, 2019, 4:55 am

Yeah, I’ll definitely wait for a non-deluxe standard set, like the Movie Scoob and Jonny cases. I don’t need the extra tat (and a box that will likely crush as with the whole Batman fiasco last year)...actually, I don’t really need these reissues at all (I have never, rarely, once or twice even put in any of the DVDs!), but the lure of non-interlaced transfers has bitten me. At least when I don’t ever watch the discs, I know I’m not watching pristine 1080p print transfers instead of not watching 480i tape transfers! :shock: :lol: :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 27th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Exaaaaaaaaaaactly!

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 27th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Ben wrote:
June 27th, 2019, 4:55 am
Yeah, I’ll definitely wait for a non-deluxe standard set, like the Movie Scoob and Jonny cases. I don’t need the extra tat (and a box that will likely crush as with the whole Batman fiasco last year)
What was the "fiasco"?

I remember blogging about the "$800 Bookshelf" that one time Warner tried to release the Tolkien sets--
But what latest crime against retail disk has Warner committed, in its belief that it can only sell a half-dozen cherrypicked brandname-franchise titles on retail two or three times a year, and attempt to persuade the entire industry that "physical-disk buyers" are only spoiled figure-obsessed SDCC fanboys and harmless hoarder-eccentrics?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 28th, 2019, 1:26 am

The fiasco was that all those Batman:TAS Blu-ray sets that were ordered from Amazon were poorly packed, and got badly damaged in transit. I threw out the flimsy outer box anyway, and placed those mini-Pops on a shelf over my desk, and the art cards are kept next to the Blu-ray case. No regrets for me, as I like the case better than the utilitarian packaging that came out later. And the lenticular art cards are really pretty nice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 21st, 2019, 3:16 pm

Here's the trailer for Return to Zombie Island, a sequel to Zombie Island from '98:

Looks ok, even though it doesn't entirely feel like a sequel. Will be interesting to see where they go with it. Thought the original was pretty cool, hope it retains some of the charm and not be in the same vien as Curse of the 13th Ghost.

That Velma voice I swear... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 29th, 2019, 3:16 pm

First look at Shaggy:

Not bad at all! Again, I like. Pretty dang faithful. I even don't mind the addition of the undershirt. Looks nice. Also like how they approached his beard.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 29th, 2019, 6:07 pm

Pretty nice. I’m guessing this is a prequel, because he looks a bit younger...?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 29th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Yep, the film is an origin story.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 12th, 2019, 4:17 pm

First look at Velma and Fred:

Velma looks alright, Fred on the other hand looks really bad. Lack of his signature ascot for one, but that chin is simply unflattering. He looks way too generic.

Man, they were doing so good...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 8th, 2019, 1:48 pm

First images:

Near perfect! Fred's redesign still feels off, everyone else is fine. Daphne looks cute, love her hair. Younger Shaggy and Scooby look great. Looking at the group shot, looks like Velma is wearing boots. That's different. In a way, still fits since her original socks would go the same length. At least they kept the skirt. Daphne looks to be without her leggings. That I do miss. Her legs look too naked. :lol: Not the first time she's gone without them, though.

I'm so apprehensive about the voices...