Lady and the Tramp (Live-Action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Lady and the Tramp (Live-Action)

Post by Ben » August 24th, 2019, 4:37 am

Must admit the trailer made me a little more up for seeing this, though as I just wrote in the Disney+ thread, it feels a little slamming to have "teleplay" in the credits, and not screenplay, which makes a definite distinction (in industry eyes if not the general audience) that this is a TV movie and not a big film made for small screen release.

It’ll be into see if they try and put this out theatrically in territories that won’t have D+ on launch day. I could see the UK getting a limited February release for instance, which makes that teleplay credit a little more problematic if they try to dress this up as theatrical level.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 24th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Here is said trailer:

Looks cute. Finally answers the whole talking dilemma. Have to admit, doesn't look half bad. Still weird, but when compared to Lion King it seems more believable. More expressive. Considering the naturally smaller budget, I'm surprised it looks as good as it does.

Also seems to confirm it will a be a shot-for-shot. While that disheartens me some, I'm not surprised.

Seeing the dogs in motion is nice, too. Lady especially acts spot on. I'm not feeling the voices yet. Tramps' doesn't feel as charismatic and Lady sounds a little stuffy? Hard to tell with that blaring rendition of "Bella Notte"... which I didn't much care for either.

Not as bad as I feared. Shows promise.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 24th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Looks like it gave you paws for thought... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 26th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Just watched the trailer.

:?

Want to say two things:

1.). I hated Lady’s voice. It was so sweet and caring and innocent in the Walt version (matching perfectly with her adorable appearance), but here she sounded much older/more cynical...the exact OPPOSITE of what Lady is supposed to be.

Heck, Tessa Thompson would be probably be more suited for Peg than Lady.

2.). Jock/Jackie looked adorable...but being female “he’s” basically a completely different character. So who cares about how faithful or cute the look of the character is. :?

Daniel wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 7:46 pm

Joe looks a little young...? Like a teen. Maybe Tony's a father figure this time around?

Interesting question. I always thought of Joe as Tony’s younger assistant chef. Though I guess, by the way they related to each other, they might very well have been related. Joe seems more like a nephew than a son or younger brother, though.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 26th, 2019, 4:09 pm

I believe Joe was Tony's nephew in the 1955 film. This was confirmed later in one of the Scamp comics (or it might have been a strip version of the film) that I had (and may still have somewhere) where Tony explicitly says a line like "Justa because you are-a ma nephew...", or near enough.

Either that’s been forgotten, not known about, or revisited in the new one, but it makes a perfect sense: a lot of Italian eating joints are run by family.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 26th, 2019, 6:50 pm

I have a few Scamp comics, too. Don't believe I own the one you're referencing. Offhand though, I do know one has Tramp telling Scamp why Tony gives him free food. Little details like that would've been neat to include in Scamp's Adventure!

Back to Tony and Joe, the nephew angle sounds about right. Think I recall Disney Magazine making mention, or a Disney trivia site. Most say they're just pals, and Joe's an employee. Will be interesting to see how the remake goes about it. I'm kinda liking my "theory"...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 1st, 2019, 4:43 pm

One big difference I neglected to mention earlier, we see Lady running along side the dog catcher this time around. In the original, it's Jock and Trusty. Don't really have much of a problem with that per se, it's just what we might stand to lose. Seeing the pair realize they had misjudged Tramp for one, most of all is Trusty's development and learning he didn't lose his sense of smell after all.

There's also the little matter of the accident... will Lady be the one injured this time? Or maybe Jackie and Trusty are not far behind and it still ultimately ends the same? Curious and curiouser. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 1st, 2019, 8:53 pm

I think it’s just, for a film called Lady And The Tramp, they wanted to get the other title character involved in the big finish. Plus this lady will no doubt be an empowered bitch and will probably instigate and lead the rescue. Trusty might still jump out to stop the horse and maybe.....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 3rd, 2019, 3:08 pm

"I like how you used the technical term for a female dog" If anyone gets that I'll be surprised! ;)

For the moment, doesn't feel like the worst decision. That easily goes to Jock/Jackie. Still find that hard to swallow. Maybe more because it's from a Walt-era film. Gender swapping in general just feels insulting...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 5th, 2019, 12:36 am

Daniel wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 3:08 pm
"I like how you used the technical term for a female dog" If anyone gets that I'll be surprised! ;)
“I’m going to have to write the dictionary people about that. It feels like a mistake to me!”
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 5th, 2019, 5:22 am

Yeah, I wasn’t sure if I should, but that’s the correct word (and made the point I was making too, Marge). ;)

And, lest we forget, it was the word that was later appropriated as an insult, just as the word dog gets negative connotations, too. I wonder why such cool and lovely animals get it in the neck so much from using their species terms so derogatorily...!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 5th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Hahaha, that episode didn't even come to mind! It even had a Lady and the Tramp joke!

My "quote" is from The Simpsons, though. It's when they made a whole parody segment of Lady, titled "Shady and the Vamp":

Seeing Springfield citizens reimaged as the canines was all kinds of cool. Creative way they went about Marge's hair!

It's a charming little short. Loved the Disneyesque animation especially.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 5th, 2019, 9:02 pm

They'll still never outdo Charlie Sheen and Valeria Golino from "Hot Shots: Part Deux":

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 6th, 2019, 6:13 am

So perfect! Back when Charlie Sheen was actually good in some pretty good flicks. The sing gets me every time...so close to the original but different enough. I know people, when they saw this, were totally sure that *was* Bella Notte! The nudging the meatball is what takes it to the perfect sweet spot though...no-one will ever get it that right again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 12th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Footage from the D23 Panel:

Things to take away --

A more up close look at the two playing Jim Dear and Darling. Aside from the unnecessary race change, I think who they chose for Darling is pretty. Jim Dear looks pretty uncanny!

Janelle Monáe will be doing her own version of "He's a Tramp". Hmm... zero resemblance methinks?

Finally get to see Yvette decked out in character. I don't know, don't think Aunt Sarah would wear such a dress, it's too pretty! Kind of getting more of a Mary Poppins vibe. Well, I think she looks great. Wonder if Sarah is actually nicer? Think that could be an improvement.