The Twilight Zone

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Twilight Zone

Post by ShyViolet » October 17th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Always loved Talky Tina, and BOY did it scare me the first time around. :shock:

BTW June Foray did the voice! She also ADR’d most of Sport’s lines in “The Bewitchin’ Pool” (the one with the brother and sister who find a magic land to live in by swimming to the bottom of their backyard pool). This was because it was extremely loud on set and the actress’ voice couldn’t be heard.
(The actress was actually Mary Badham, who starred as the little girl Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird.)

https://youtu.be/6Z0bdJPvDaw

Here’s June Foray talking about voicing Tina! :) (She actually based her on “Chatty Cathy” a actual talking doll on the market which never sold very well. Wasn’t that doll also the inspiration for “Gabby Gabby” in Toy Story 4?)

https://youtu.be/d1zqOHhtcLs
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 18th, 2019, 4:06 pm

"Aunt T! Please help us"... Even before I found out, always thought Sport sounded like Rocky and when she was indoors she suddenly had a southern accent! Well, makes the episode stand out in a way. ;)

"The Bewitchin' Pool" is one of the few episodes I believe that could benefit from being colorized. Like what was done to "Miniature", when they're at home with their parents it's black and white, and when in Aunt T land in color. Think it would be cool. Like experiencing it anew. Ordinarily they should be left alone since black and white helps make the episodes feel more timeless, but I don't think a few would hurt.

I'm actually surprised they didn't do one for the 60th anniversary! Like I noted earlier, for that one night dealy, one of the episodes is "Walking Distance". A fan colorized their favorite scene from said episode:

Pretty extraordinary. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 18th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Wow, that’s actually a really interesting idea Dan. :) Kind of like the Wizard of Oz (Well I guess except for the phrase: “There’s no place like home.”).

I know some fans rate this ep as one of the more lackluster ones, but it’s one of my faves and has always left me in an emotional state whenever I’ve watched it. Instead of going for the easy “yay, the kids are now in a better place!” uncomplicated ending, there’s a tragic element to it as well...both for Sport and Jeb who lost the only parents they knew, and maybe even for their parents to some degree.

On “Walking Distance”—that actually does look spectacular in color. And it’s such a beautiful beautiful beautiful scene. Rod Serling wrote the episode himself, which is why it has such a personal feel. How can you not cry? :cry:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 19th, 2019, 3:29 am

New Rod Serling bio comic:
https://www.humanoids.com/y_catalog/book/id/1118

Might be worth a look. I've bought a digital copy and will give it a try.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 19th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Interesting! Maybe down the road I'll get it.

Bewitchin' Pool probably gets less love since it ended up being the final episode broadcast. I think it actually worked out in its favor for the reasons you touched upon.

When the UPN series gave a sequel to "It's a Good Life", was so hoping they would do Pool! To possibly see Sport in the Aunt T role and to see what she would do when a child appears with similar problems. Does she have regrets, does she wish someone would've tried convincing her to stay at home? Much potential! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 20th, 2019, 12:22 am

Wow, another great idea Dan! I can definitely see that; very provocative questions.

I think I saw the very beginning of that UPN sequel and was quite impressed that they not only got Bill Mumy (Anthony) back but also the actress who played his mom! :) It was amazing how both actors were just able to pick up where they left off regarding two characters they hadn’t played in thirty years or so. (Especially Mumy.)

“It’s a Good Life” is hands down one of the all-time best TZ eps ever! :) (In my opinion.). It’s almost sort of a mini-movie or maybe even a one-act play. The acting is terrific all-around, but Bill Mumy, even though he was only six or so, should really be given more recognition of how convincingly terrifying he made Anthony (the kid in The Movie was fine, but he doesn’t hold a candle to Mumy).

Seriously, when it comes to on-screen child psychopaths, he is undeniably up there with the stars of The Bad Seed, The Good Son, and Orphan! :shock:

CBS clip from said ep...(but they cut off the very last minute: “Tomorrow’s gonna be a real good day!” Oh well. :P)

https://youtu.be/QxTMbIxEj-E

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 20th, 2019, 2:12 pm

You need to finish the sequel! Seriously, despite my one big complaint, it's my favorite episode from that series. There's so much good. All the little nods and parallels. Doesn't come close to the original, but it's still a very cool "what-if" continuation! The whole thing is on Youtube... I'll give you a year. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 20th, 2019, 7:27 pm

OK!! :o :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 28th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Pretty interesting retrospective. A lot I agree with.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 28th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Very cool. Also, TZ Companion is a great book. :).

Oh yeah, I did recently watch the Good Life sequel/update (incredible how much Mumy’s daughter resembles him)...the weird thing is that I actually HAVE seen the entire episode years ago but forgot I did! ;)

MAJOR SPOILERS

It starts out very creepy, (especially with Anthony’s daughter’s friend disappearing and the knowledge that Anthony ended up getting rid of his dad), very atmospheric, a real feeling of dread that keeps growing. Mumy reprised his childhood role brilliantly, and so did the actress who originally played his mom. (We see how despite having his own child, Anthony has only grown more evil, and how near-crazed and desperate his mom has become after thirty something years of living with her monster child. :shock:).

I liked it a lot right up until the very end with the “here we go again” ending. For me it sort of came out of nowhere. But maybe I should re-watch it...there might have been some “clues” I missed.

This book is great too: Douglas Brode (one of the few film scholars who actually recognizes the genius of Spielberg) writes in-depth reviews of every ep, and Serling’s daughter Carol gives commentary on some of the most famous ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Rod-Serling-Twil ... B005S0KGJW

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 28th, 2019, 7:02 pm

Yep, that was my issue with the sequel... the ending. Without rewatching, I don't think there were any real clues. Just "I change my mind, I'm with daddy, away with you!" Could've been so much more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 29th, 2019, 11:17 am

Yeah...it’s so out of nowhere for her to suddenly behave like that; at first I was SURE the whole thing was a ruse. I mean she’s not only way more powerful than her father but can actually READ HIS MIND, and he can’t read hers! :? Obviously it’s no contest.

As you said, could have been so much more. Would she actually be able to wish her own father away for the greater good of the entire world? Would she grow up to be just like him? Even though her grandmother appears to truly love her (even though by now Anthony’s mom is revolted by him and wants him dead?)

Mumy and his daughter are both amazing here...shame they weren’t given better material. “Unsatisfying” isn’t even the word for how the ep concludes. (Heck, even a fake “happy ending” with her wishing away Anthony and then hugging her grandma; only for the ep’s last shot to show her smile evilly or maybe kill a singing bird with her mind, would have been better than the ending we got...:roll:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 30th, 2019, 8:07 pm

That might've worked. Still a tease, but a little more satisfying.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 22nd, 2019, 2:20 pm

I was able to attend the anniversary screening the other day. It was amazing! The novelty of seeing the episodes on the big screen was really something. They showed the theme and credits for each episode, the commercial break title card, even the next week segments! Wasn't expecting that, but loved it. Made it feel more special. The episodes of course were great to see. The documentary, while not really adding much new that us Zone geeks don't know already, was still a treat. Emotional even. A perfect sendoff.

It was a blast and a real good selection of episodes. Yes, even "The Invaders". Although I almost fell asleep during, the ambiance helped make it more engrossing. Slightly. The others benefited greatly. "Walking Distance" was always going to be an experience. Hearing that iconic score in surround sound. Wow!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 29th, 2019, 6:37 pm

'Tis that time again, the annual new years marathon on Syfy! Starts on the 31st. For anyone that still does cable. ;)

Midnight Sun is once again not airing at midnight! Arg!