Chronicles of Narnia

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Former Disney chief praises narnia

Post by Bambi » November 20th, 2005, 7:32 pm

Former Disney Corporation chief executive Michael Eisner predicts the Disney film The Chronicals of Narnia - The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe which was filmed in New Zealand will be as big worldwide as The Lord of the Rings trilogy, which was also made here.

Eisner was speaking to ASB Business from New York ahead of a his first visit to New Zealand in February to speak at the global world leaders conference.

He says the New Zealand film industry is obviously very positive.

Eisner says Narnia, which he has seen, is spectacularly beautiful as is New Zealand and is going to be as big an event worldwide as The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

The film, an adaptation of CS Lewis' literary classic, is released next month.

Eisner ruled the Disney kingdom for just over 20 years.

It was a reign that saw Disney's revenues climb from $1.7 billion to more than $30 billion. In the process he became one of the most powerful men in US business.

Before he became the head of Disney he had had a dazzling career at ABC TV and Paramount Pictures.

He says when he joined Disney in 1984, he attracted very good executives, some of whom he knew from Paramount Pictures and some who came from Warner Brothers. He says he also recognised the value of the brand and was an ideas person.

Eisner says the acquisition of ABC and ESPN was the largest acquisition in American history at the time and while a lot of people thought Disney was stretching itself with the move, it was up there among the best acquisitions made in the last century.

But Eisner's last few years with Disney were not the happiest.

Walt Disney's nephew Roy Disney led a shareholder revolt against Eisner as he was unhappy with the company's performance and direction in 2003/04.

As a result Eisner stepped down as chairman last year and as chief executive last month.

So was the battle with Roy Disney difficult for Eisner and the company?

He say it didn't bother him, the company came out of it, and is now doing extremely well.
I got "twitterpated" by Faline...
[img]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d53/bambidude/BAMBISIGMetallica.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by fani » November 22nd, 2005, 12:10 pm

narnia seems good and faithful to hte books!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » November 22nd, 2005, 5:29 pm

I live in Holland and although the film is still a month away, I've already seen commercials for it. And I've NEVER seen commercials for a film a month in advance. Looks like Disney is pulling everything out of the wardrobe ( :wink: ) to promote this film. And I have to say, each trailer, behind the scenes look or commercial looks absolutely fantastic. I'll definitely see it on its opening day.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » November 23rd, 2005, 5:49 am

PatrickvD wrote:I live in Holland and although the film is still a month away, I've already seen commercials for it. And I've NEVER seen commercials for a film a month in advance. Looks like Disney is pulling everything out of the wardrobe ( :wink: ) to promote this film. And I have to say, each trailer, behind the scenes look or commercial looks absolutely fantastic. I'll definitely see it on its opening day.
Ditto, only replace Holland with England. I think that I'll like the Narnia films more than the Lord of the Rings trilogy (which I find decent enough, yet vastly overrated, thus hindering my opinions on them), as I prefer the tamer, whimsical area of fantasy (as what is found in the Narnia novels) than the immensly dark death-ridden feel of Tolkein's novels. I also am more familiar with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe than I am with Lord of the Rings, having read the book, watched the BBC version and just having general exposure. Plus, it's a Disney movie. Wheeeeeeee! :mrgreen:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » November 23rd, 2005, 12:06 pm

not a big Lord of the Rigns fan either. Especially the third one was dragging it too much. Like it just wouldn't end. I'm not saying they were bad but Narnia definitely communicates better with my idea of a Fantasy Epic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 23rd, 2005, 1:35 pm

I loved LotR. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 27th, 2005, 4:53 pm

As big as "Lord of the Rings"? With "King Kong" opening just five days after it? Meesa no tink so.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 27th, 2005, 7:19 pm

When you think about it, Disney already has a big fantasy adventure trilogy on its hands with Pirates Of The Caribbean, which is better for the company since it comes from their own history.

I'm seeing Narnia, despite the New Zealand scenery and Weta FX, as the Potter equal, especially given that Narnia should stretch to a Potter-like seven film franchise if all goes well.

But, true that King Kong comes out the week later, though I'm guessing that THAT film will be geek and film fan fuelled, with word of mouth picking up after that.

Kong may make more in the long run, but both films have space until their runs end around February next year and will take in about the same - don't forget Narnia's rabid fan book base...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 28th, 2005, 6:42 pm

I know, I know.

But "Narnia" has no dinosaurs...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 28th, 2005, 9:16 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:I know, I know.

But "Narnia" has no dinosaurs...
Ouch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zoltack » November 29th, 2005, 3:22 pm

I'm so excited about this movie. It's coming out the last day of school. yeahhh! But I'll have to watch it some other day because I have to work.

Now I don't know if it will do better than LOTR because those movies rocked to. I also guess it's safe to assume that there are going to be sequels the Naria. But in all honesty I think that POCII will do a whole lot better just because it's the long awaited sequel.

And I thought Eisner wasn't a part of Disney anymore so why should he care?
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/y64/Zoltack/Bambi/?start=0]Bambi Pics and Avatars[/url]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 29th, 2005, 4:36 pm

Because he still wants to seem involved with the company, even though he isn't. It makes him look good. Uh, see what I mean?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zoltack » November 29th, 2005, 5:00 pm

Well why is he doing that? Is he trying to get another job as a CO for another animation company or what? I mean that's just stupid, he's gone. I mean do you care about what he says about a film?
[url=http://photobucket.com/albums/y64/Zoltack/Bambi/?start=0]Bambi Pics and Avatars[/url]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 29th, 2005, 5:12 pm

Actually, I do. He was CEO of the company for twenty years, to say nothing of the fact that he greenlit this movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 29th, 2005, 5:12 pm

He still owns a HUGE amount of stock in the company.

I also care what he thinks. He may not be perfect but he DID run the place since 1984.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!