New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: New Disney Streaming Service: Disney+

Post by Randall » November 12th, 2019, 8:42 am

And I'm on! Gotta go to work now, but it's going to be fun tonight. My boy is pretty jazzed about seeing The Madalorian.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 12th, 2019, 11:43 am

Notes--

Wow it's busy. Search has everything in sections by the way.

They have more classic early Disney short cartoons then listed! That was great!

They have the simpsons movie also! Just checked and it looks like it's uncut! (at least the first 20 min is) The skateboard fence scene is uncut! It comes with a "adult humor" warning on the title screen!

Just checked dumbo and it's uncut! The crows are there! It's not edited! Dumbo is uncut!

They have some Disneyland episodes! (this includes the cartoon episodes with mickey,and behind the scenes and nature episodes) They are under movies as specials.

Home alone films and Richie rich films are on there.

The search area has "Disney from each decade" that puts all shows, movies and shorts in release order by year! That should be on the main page! It's neat.

They don't have the muppet show or muppets tonight yet but do have those old muppet shorts they made a few years ago for Disney channel.

They have legend of the three caballeros on there! Now you can watch it!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 12th, 2019, 11:52 am

I was very pleased to see Legend of the 3 Caballeros there, as well as at least a few Disneyland shows. And it should only get better. Hey, look! Inhumans and Agent Carter! Old and new Marvel cartoons! TrueLife Adventures! Cool. And 1 episode of The Mandalorian ready to be viewed. I know Dan (staff Dan) watched it already.

Meanwhile, was Star Wars really changed?

https://www.cbr.com/disney-plus-star-wa ... do-change/

True or hoax? Sounds weird. I'll have to check later.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 12th, 2019, 11:53 am

WHAT???? :shock:

(OK...maybe time to reconsider. ;))
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 12th, 2019, 12:14 pm

They have marvels runaways also if they have not seen it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2019, 1:31 pm

As it says, why the hell not? At this point any changes they make, or don’t make, doesn’t make any difference. The legend "Han Shot First" says it all, and is all that matters.

Speaking to my pal at Sony here in the UK, the word is that new 4K scans of the ORIGINAL original trilogy will be released to disc in a box set with all the SW films at the end of next year... They’ll then presumably end up on D+, but it’s good that their existence has been somewhat confirmed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 12th, 2019, 2:17 pm

Good to hear about Dumbo. Such a beautiful classic should never be touched.

Good for Simpsons Movie, too... FXX censors Bart's doodle with a black bar saying "European Version Only". Robs the payoff of being cleverly covered during the whole sequence.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 12th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Working right now. Watching the Disneyland episode "Disney through the seasons"

Also looks like the 60s mickey mouse club is there as well! They have the rare jimmy cricket shorts in the episodes!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 12th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Real quick, I noticed that for some TV shows, like the current DuckTales series, the episodes appear to be listed out of order, so that's something to keep an eye out for.

Another thing, if you go through the A-Z listings for categories, they will have titles present that are not yet officially added to the service. Going into their pages will reveal when they'll be active on D+ (like Last Jedi will be on there this December and Tarzan I think it said June).

And Jeff Goldblum was friggin' hilarious. Seriously, I was dying with laughter halfway through.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 12th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Dan wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 4:29 pm
Real quick, I noticed that for some TV shows, like the current DuckTales series, the episodes appear to be listed out of order, so that's something to keep an eye out for.
Ie., the random "Best-of" collections that came out on VHS in the 80's, and not the complete broadcast-order DVD boxsets of the vintage DuckTales and Rescue Rangers that briefly came out as a Club exclusive. (Which I was just in the middle of renting from the local library when the service came along, and now it looks like I'll have to go back to them.)
Another thing, if you go through the A-Z listings for categories, they will have titles present that are not yet officially added to the service. Going into their pages will reveal when they'll be active on D+ (like Last Jedi will be on there this December and Tarzan I think it said June).
Specifically, the titles still contracted to Netflix, like Solo, John Carter, Last Jedi and Alice & the Nutcracker, after their rights expire in May or November '20.
And Jeff Goldblum was friggin' hilarious. Seriously, I was dying with laughter halfway through.
Forky's TS4 "What Is..?" segments, OTOH, are cute, but unexpectedly just...plain...irritating. I sympathized with Forky in the movie, and here, I just wanted to slap him. :evil:
I'm not sure about my tolerance for Goldblum after that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 12th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Well, I'm loving the service so far. No glitches on my end, and I am very pleased with what's been offered already. The interface is very nice and user-friendly. Many thanks to the Dutch for helping Disney iron out any glitches before the wider launch.

First up tonight, we watched the first Phineas and Ferb episode, followed by... The Mandalorian! (It was good. A little slow at first, but it builds nicely to its surprise ending. Hopefully it continues to improve, but it's a good start.)

Several TV series sequels are there, including those for The Little Mermaid, Hercules, New Groove, and Timon & Pumbaa. No Aladdin The Series yet. Several Disney Afternoon shows are there, including Gummi Bears and Goof Troop and Bonkers (no original DuckTales yet). Tarzan 2 and Tarzan and Jane are there. Lots of Pooh. And hey, the failed Muppets "docuseries" from a few years ago is there! Guardians of the Galaxy The Series, and many more Marvel cartoons. And lots of movies previously found on Disney Movie Club exclusive DVDs, like Emil and the Detectives, or Wonderful World of Disney productions like Ghosts of Buxley Hall. A few TrueLife Adventures are there, and the TrueLife Fantasy Perri.

A few real surprises, too, like the 1940 film version of Swiss Family Robinson. I had forgotten that Walt bought the rights to the RKO production in order to suppress it before doing his own version.

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms was on Netflix just last week, but it's on D+ today, at least in Canada. Much more will be migrating as time goes by. We have John Carter already here, too. On the other hand, I'm sure we're missing some things too, due to shows like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. still being contracted out to our Crave streaming service.

One thing I really like is, even when I have something on DVD already, so much of what's on D+ is in HD (or even 4K). While I'd still be tempted on a nice Shaggy Dog Blu-ray, I can be quite satisfied with seeing That Darn Cat (either version) in HD on D+.

Disney+ gets Two Thumbs Up from me! And as I said before, it will only get better. Most or likely all of what's there will stay on the service; and much more will be added as we get along the next months and years.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 13th, 2019, 12:05 am

Randall wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 11:33 pm
Several TV series sequels are there, including those for The Little Mermaid, Hercules, New Groove, and Timon & Pumbaa. No Aladdin The Series yet. Several Disney Afternoon shows are there, including Gummi Bears and Goof Troop and Bonkers (no original DuckTales yet).
https://www.disneyplus.com/series/disne ... 1pGQ8RYFqN
Well (as noted), some of it, anyway. Plus, the Movie: https://www.disneyplus.com/movies/duckt ... oUkd1trYEj

Although I don't blame you for getting annoyed with the Search feature, which seems to be working better now than it did right at the big moment of launch when everyone was busy watching "The Mandalorian". (Btw, can anyone explain why "#IHaveSpoken" is now trending on Twitter, before I get the temptation to make more Loyal Order of Water Buffalo Grand Poobah jokes?)
First thing, I went searching for my whole back watchlist of obscure 50's-70's live-action titles from Vudu's exhaustive page of Disney VOD downloads--and hoped I could save $3.99 and stream a few of them for free--but no luck in finding a D+ stream of "Superdad", "Watcher in the Woods", "Sword & the Rose", "Bon Voyage", "Midnight Madness" or "Now You See Him, Now You Don't". (Despite the other two titles in the Medvale College trilogy.)
As for Bill Cosby in "The Devil & Max Devlin", I assumed the reason for his absence was obvious. :roll:

Oh, and to tie up old loose ends, Dumbo '41 seems uncut, and the Crows DO sing "When I See an Elephant Fly"...Whew. At least they fared better than poor old Greedo.
Last edited by EricJ on November 13th, 2019, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » November 13th, 2019, 12:08 am

Interesting you don't have the original DuckTales up there, Rand. Down here we have the original and Treasure of the Lost Lamp.

Just finished watching first episode of The Imagineering Story and boy I'd love to watch more Leslie Iwerks. Managing to a lot out in just over an hour and make it a lovely viewing. Very much looking forward to the next set of episodes.

Disney clearly wanted to come out strong with the service and I think they more than delivered, and that's just from the three originals I've watched so far.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 13th, 2019, 12:43 am

Oops, you're right--- DuckTales is here after all! (Treasure of the Lost Lamp, I had seen there before.) I had missed noticing the TV show, as I hadn't actually specifically searched for it. i just didn't remember seeing it on the listings of TV shows.

Yes, a few curious absences of some earlier films, but maybe they're preparing HD masters on some? I'm sure we'll get them all eventually. For now, there's still lots to watch.

Yep, pretty great launch so far.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 13th, 2019, 3:12 am

I set up my 'free' Disney+ account via Verizon .. and was pleasantly surprised to discover that I can access it from my desktop/laptop, in addition to my phone. I had been under the impression that I'd be restricted to streaming via my 'Verizon account' devices only -- now I know I can use my 55" LED screen, instead of a 5" smartphone screen .. for which my aging eyes are thankful..! 8)

I signed up around 11PM PST, and watched The Mandalorian .. encountering none of the 'glitches' or "something went wrong" screens that many had reported in the early hours of launch day.

Nice to see Tangled: the Series and the Big Hero 6 series are available on the service; I've never seen either, and hadn't yet gotten around to buying them on DVD .. but now, I won't have to. :mrgreen: