The Simpsons

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Simpsons

Post by ShyViolet » November 15th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Lol!

Nice to see you around, James. :)

Oh wow, never even noticed that Dan. I should re-watch that! :) Also, in a weird way Smithers DID kill Burns (the whole fake ending thing :shock:). So weird, maybe it was an alternate universe! Like the ones Homer traveled to with with that toaster time machine! Lol. :lol:

“Noooooo! Wait a minute...yes.”
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 16th, 2019, 8:47 pm

:cry: Also, kinda silly random thought, but I can’t help wondering if Fox would have actually been able to keep the end of a whodunit from probably the most popular show ever made secret (and for four months!) in this day and age, the way they did in 1995. Honestly, I kind of doubt it.

I mean, I realize that everyone involved in making the two-parter signed an NDA, and that of course that entire fake alternate ending was made, but since deleted scenes/alternate endings are so much more common now, I doubt it would make much difference. Leaks are SO pervasive nowadays since the entire world has become so technology/information savvy, plus with Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and everything else, I’m 99% sure it would have been impossible for Fox today.

So anyway I’m glad the Internet hadn’t really taken hold yet in ‘95 the way it would only a few years later. WSMB is one of my favorite episodes ever and always will be! :).

Also can’t help wishing, in a way, that the eventual ‘07 Movie had been based on this story. In many ways WSMB felt very cinematic (especially part one, part two had more of an episodic feel even though it was great too). The last five minutes of part one before Mr. Burns is actually shot are, in my opinion, some of the best scenes in the entire series. The sudden silence and tension building up is just so well done. :)

https://youtu.be/zH18T2Jufzk
Last edited by ShyViolet on November 26th, 2019, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 26th, 2019, 10:46 am

Another cool Simps mini-feature on character/story.

(Season 2, 1991. Ah, the memories ;))

https://youtu.be/i7Tw9jgMjEk

Although I know it’s kind of a “forgotten” episode—like many in Season 2, unfortunately—I LOVE the marriage retreat one where in the end Homer does the unselfish thing and throws back that giant mutant fish to prove to Marge how much he loves her. It’s just such an unexpectedly emotional moment, similar to the end of “Bart gets an F”, and “Lisa’s Substitute”. There were just so many great ones back then, stories that made us care SO MUCH about these characters. (And even made us cry—often! :cry:)

Also one random, interesting thing about Season 2: there were at least three episodes that heavily featured weird species of fish! The marriage retreat one, the three-eyed-fish Mr. Burns runs for governor one, (Blinky!) and the one where Homer almost dies from eating that blowfish from the Japanese restaurant. I don’t know, just thought it was kinda interesting. Lol. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2019, 11:59 am

Awesome, absolutely hilarious commentary (positive and negative, mostly positive) on every episode of Season 8. :)
(Scroll down page.)

(On the top there’s also a really interesting “review” of the DVD commentary track by the participants of the episode “Homer vs. Dignity”, with its, um, “questionable” content. :? Worth reading as well.)

https://deadhomersociety.com/?s=Homer+v ... mit=Search

(A bit of language here and there, but mostly ok.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 5th, 2019, 3:36 pm

"Homer vs. Dignity"... yep, I remember the commentary for that one well. I wondered if they were going to try and justify the panda scene somehow.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 5th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Yeah, it doesn’t seem like they even tried...good call. How can anyone POSSIBLY justify this ep?? :|

Oh, two favorite lines from the “commentary on the commentary.” :P

5:00 – One of them watched this one the night before the commentary and can’t remember if there’s a B story or not (there is). Maybe he has to drink as much as I do to get through these?

12:20 – “There was a time when Hibbert was actually a pretty good doctor.” Where have I heard that before? “Not much difference between him and Nick Riviera right now.” Gee, maybe that’s a bad thing? Nah. Hibbert to the EXTREME!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 5th, 2019, 10:46 pm

Oh gosh the Rubik’s Cube scene from Hurricane Neddy! :) (Plus I love how the Olmek head is still there.)

https://youtu.be/1EBgqxuaSbM

:lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 7th, 2019, 2:41 pm

So many great jokes. Topwise! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 7th, 2019, 5:36 pm

I know right? :). “My main finger?”

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 7th, 2019, 9:13 pm

HAVE NO IDEA IF TRUE...I THINK THE ACTUAL STORY BROKE OUT A FEW WEEKS BACK... :shock:

Al Jean has completely denied this, even though it came from none other than Danny Elfman. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

https://www.newsweek.com/simpsons-endin ... an-1474643

Bit more info:

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2019/12/05/the-simpsons/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 8th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Nah, total bunk. Besides season 32, season 33 has already been confirmed. Have no fears, they've got stories for years! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 17th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Hank Azaria will no longer voice Apu. "This is great news." No. No it is not. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 17th, 2020, 1:55 pm

This is what happens when Disney takes over The Simpsons.

:roll:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 17th, 2020, 3:20 pm

Oh gosh... :cry:

He was one of my favorites, too. Ugh, can’t believe this.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 17th, 2020, 7:45 pm

If that becomes a reality, wow... Poké Déjà Vu. Well, not exactly, but not that far off.