Star Trek

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek"

Post by ShyViolet » October 28th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Ben wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:05 pm
All films, good or bad, start with a script. Sometimes they can be fixed, and sometimes they can’t, but release dates, merchandising and marketing deals mean they have to shoot, ready or not, to make the deadline...
Yeah...I think I know what you’re getting at. I mean it had to have been somewhat hard on the production to have to constantly adjust to so many radical script changes. :?

This is a really good review (which specifically addresses the story issues) by Roger Ebert from when the film opened. (1998)

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star ... ction-1998

Also funny Ebert Nemesis review:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star ... mesis-2002

:)
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 29th, 2019, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 28th, 2019, 9:48 pm

Behind-the-scenes talk of possible Picard feature-length film??

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/par ... ard-movie/
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 30th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Even when the story has nothing to do with Disney, they still bring up Aladdin 2!? Jeez. I wouldn't put much stock into this...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 11th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Even though I’m still practically drooling to see the upcoming Picard series, this quite authentic fan-made trailer for an actual Picard movie still gives me goosebumps! :). (It was made before the official announcement of said series)

https://youtu.be/ufAzwreFLAA

(Oh btw that current shot of Jonathan Frakes comes from the 2017 thriller Devil’s Gate, where he had a brief but well-performed turn as a crusty North Dakota sheriff. :) )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2019, 5:10 am

They left the word "back" out of their intertitles. "Picard boldly goes one last time" doesn’t make sense, but in all other respects this is actually one fan trailer that feels as close to being the real deal as it might be.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 12th, 2019, 11:44 am

Yes definitely!

Glad you liked it! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Very interesting review of Star Trek (2009) by Roger Ebert. It’s mixed, but definitely more positive than his Nemesis one.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-trek-2009

Unfortunately, he died before Into Darkness was released (I think it was actually the same year, 2013). It would have been so fascinating to read his opinions on the next two Treks, as well as all the other movies that came out following the year he passed on. (I would have LOVED to hear what he thought of the new Star Wars films.). We lost such a great voice... :cry:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 29th, 2019, 6:38 am

Please...no-one make the obvious joke here. It really wouldn’t be funny.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 29th, 2019, 10:48 am

Ben wrote:
November 29th, 2019, 6:38 am
Please...no-one make the obvious joke here. It really wouldn’t be funny.
I spent a full minute trying to think what was so "obvious" you were referring to, and then found it tasteless that YOU were the first one to think it. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 30th, 2019, 3:40 am

It took you a full minute?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 30th, 2019, 12:58 pm

Ben wrote:
November 30th, 2019, 3:40 am
It took you a full minute?
Well, since I generally associate him with his written reviews, and have been discovering a wealth of vintage 70's-80's Sneak Previews clips on YouTube....yyyyeah. It was sort of farther down on my list of free associations.
Used to frequent his blog for a while near the end, and suffice to say, there are some corners of the net where snarky gadflies are appreciated. 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 30th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Ah, see, I almost grew up on At The Movies, so my exposure was more with his TV hosting side, while obviously the most recent has been Life Itself, which lodges in there and is pretty devastatingly hard to forget.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 4th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Yeah, his Movie Yearbooks had SUCH an impact on me...I originally had one with the old format of including most of the movies (usually major ones) he’d reviewed since the 1970s to the present. (Later on the yearbooks only had reviews from the past year.)

His opinions were just so thought-provoking and his prose so rich yet completely accessible at the same time...boy did he deserve that Pulitzer. (And his sense of humor/wit should probably have won its own award.;))

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 5th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Levar Burton’s Geordi plays a vital role in the Picard prequel, which is only available in comic book form. So it’s certainly possible that he’ll appear in the actual show. (Though nothing has been confirmed as of yet.)

https://screenrant.com/star-trek-picard ... -la-forge/

FYI: Spoilers for the comic book (and quite possibly the new series, since it chronicles the events that occurred between Nemesis and the new show.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 7th, 2019, 2:05 pm

Robert Walker Jr., who played Charlie X, has passed away.