YouTube Goodness

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: YouTube Goodness

Post by EricJ » January 4th, 2020, 10:46 pm

Bill1978 wrote:
January 4th, 2020, 10:00 pm
Wow that commercial really reminded me of the 'His Dark Materials' Universe. Although I did finally finish catching up on that series this weekend so its really fresh in my mind.
I actually had the reverse reaction when the books first came out--
Yes, Philip Pullman is the most obnoxious author on the planet, but I remember first-time readers gushing "Ohh, it's so cute, I want my own pet Daemon!". And my response was "You don't want Pantalaimon, you want Pikachu."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 9th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Another heartwarming commercial:

With a familiar tune that will get you!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 12th, 2020, 7:23 pm

Actual 1978 interview with Mae Questel (voice of Betty Boop and Olive Oil in the Fleischer cartoons). Ten years before she did Roger. :)

https://youtu.be/e7VxdSrfijM

Also, really sweet commercial! :) The theme from Up is beyond superb.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 13th, 2020, 6:10 am

Magic! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 13th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Happy you liked it Ben! :).
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 13th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Ben wrote:
December 29th, 2019, 9:41 am

The Others, on the other hand, although in basic terms only just kind of reverses the same concept, doesn’t follow the same logic, because events do continue to occur off camera, though we only see what we need to see. And in this case the film does reward on further viewings, as does Fight Club, because we can see things from the other perspective, knowing what we then know.

:)

Oh yes definitely. Another great aspect of both movies is that the “twist” is not just “stuck on” to make the audience do a double take, but has actual thematic/narrative reasons for being there.

David Fincher did a great job of carrying over the ideas of the novel while at the same time putting his own spin on it, even as he stayed very close to Chuck Palahniuk’s actual plot. Probably the most dramatic change is the ending, NOT the famous “twist”, but what follows it and how that expresses the novel’s message. (Similar and yet very different than the film’s.)

Two movies I’ve seen that had the dumbest twists ever:

Hide and Seek (The Robert De Niro/Dakota Fanning horror flick from 2005. You know: “Charlie’s my best friend!—Who’s Charlie??”). “Charlie” is really the split personality alter of Robert De Niro, the main character who spends 98% of the film trying to protect his daughter from whoever Charlie is.

The Skeleton Key: (2006) Another awful twist ending from an unbelievably boring film (about ghosts/evil spirits in the bayou of New Orleans) that was somehow supposed to be “scary.” Actually the twist was probably the most entertaining part; it might have even been cool had the script itself been any good. Personally I think the screenwriters just started with the twist and then cobbled together some kind of “plot”. :roll:
The amiable young attorney who was supposedly helping the woman journalist uncover the evil ghosts/events or whatever, is actually an evil spirit himself who steals bodies that he can inhabit. His last body was actually the mute old man locked away in this creepy house. And the ACTUAL nice lawyer guy was really that old man all along (The villain trapped him in the old man body.). Ugh, I can’t believe this took so long to write! :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 13th, 2020, 2:30 pm

He would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those pesky ghosts! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 30th, 2020, 1:49 pm

Japanese theme for Yogi Bear... or rather Kuma Goro!

Catchy in its own way!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 30th, 2020, 3:52 pm

heh. Kuma Goro is literally "Average Bear". :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 30th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Love it! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 30th, 2020, 7:53 pm

But he's more than just the average bear! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 31st, 2020, 8:51 am

The music is catchy, but fitting in the longer Japanese words is really laboured, though the vocalist certainly gives it her best!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 2nd, 2020, 8:20 pm

First found this years and years ago (intro to WWOD starting 1986)...then it disappeared and no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find it again! Well, at least the searching finally paid off! ;) LOL.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » February 3rd, 2020, 7:24 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 3rd, 2020, 9:18 pm

What they said. ;)