Daniel wrote:
November 21st, 2019, 6:48 pm
And from it, we get a first glimpse of Mushu the phoenix. Here's a close up:

"Uh-uh, 'phoenix', babe, not 'pigeon', I don't do that bread-crumbs thing!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Mulan (Live-action remake)

Post by Daniel » November 22nd, 2019, 11:47 am

Sassy bird, not even Mushu stooped to calling Mulan "babe". ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 5th, 2019, 2:24 pm

Second trailer:

I liked it. Feels very different from the original, though. Don't mind differences much since I feel it's better than straight remakes, yet I'm still skeptical. Feels too serious. One example is the scene with the father asking help of the ancestors, another is where Mulan in disguise introduces herself. Mushu's not there, so naturally she won't fumble. If it's played like in the trailer, it doesn't feel human. I would expect a little shyness or a few seconds to think of a name.

The witch... feels tacked on, but I'm somewhat intrigued. She looks a lot like Mulan, wonder if that's intended. I'm still cautiously optimistic...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 5th, 2019, 2:49 pm

Wow. :shock:

Now THAT’S one remake I really want to see! :)

The trailer was amazing: dramatic, exciting, mysterious. (But, yeah, I agree Dan, maybe a little too serious.) Loved everything, the camera work, set design, as well as acting; Mulan herself is very convincing and perfectly cast. (My only quibble with her is that she’s a bit stiff.)

In my opinion: even though I still find the 1998 movie quite entertaining, the gravitas displayed here was kind of missing from that version. The jokes, including Mushu, were certainly a lot of fun, but were overdone and really belonged to a different film.

And oh my gosh, the last line/scene in the trailer REALLY hits you hard! (It would have kind of nice if they’d used the melody of that song when the trailer began, since it was EASILY the best song from the animated film, but I guess you can’t have everything.)

And one more plus: No Harvey Fierstein singing. Thank God. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 6th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Yes, one can never tire of "Reflection". Though with it being used, and having the lines "we're going to make men out of every single one of you" and "I will bring honor to us all" sure don't help missing the songs...

The line "I am blessed with two daughters" confirms they did give Mulan a sister. Going by the teaser, it could have been a friend or relative visiting. Could go either way. I guess the cherry blossom scene will be omitted or completely different. "The greatest gift and honor, is having you as one of my daughters" doesn't sound as heartwarming. ;)

Didn't really like the scene when the father collapses. Felt cheesy. Felt so much more powerful in the original.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 6th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Since she can’t sing Reflection to herself, giving her a sister is a means for her to convey her emotions to someone. It’s just plot mechanics and, apart from that, probably won’t really give her too much to do.

I agree it’s a bit of a shame that they’re not including Reflection and Man Out Of You at least, seeing as this *is* the Disney version of the story, complete with Americanised accents and partial magic, so it’s not a straight dramatic retelling. Still, I expect some current pop-starlet will get to sing the song over the end credits...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 6th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Looks like Mulan's actress herself, Liu Yifei, will get to do the honors:

Pour salt in the wound it feels like. Reminds me how Cinderella went about it. While nice to hear, the songs should've been in the movie! Would have made it feel more special.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 29th, 2019, 2:57 pm

From TheDisInsider:
Sky Shuler wrote:Does the Phoenix have any voice at all or is it just mute?

As far as I know the Phoenix does NOT speak, but neither did Iago in Disney’s live-action Aladdin until a last minute change.
Not that I was expecting it to, but there you go! Lets see if that stays. Right now I'm expecting it to sound like the legendary birds of Pokémon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 17th, 2020, 2:05 pm

Director Nikki Caro answers why the lack of songs and no Mushu. Flimsy excuses for both questions, honestly...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 17th, 2020, 4:38 pm

As much as I enjoy the songs from the animated classic and Mushu's antics I think I'm actually at peace with their decision. A lot of my problems with all of Disney's remakes of their 90s properties is the beat by beat reproduction of the original movie which always reminded me of the superior animated version. And then when they shoehorn new stuff to justify the existence it often feels clunky. By removing the songs and Mushu (regardless of the pathetic reason) at the moment it shows me a reason why they chose to remake their movie.

In my eyes the point of a remake is to do something different not repeat. I still feel that the abominable Beauty and the Beast could have been better by ditching all the songs (can't believe I typed that) except for Be Our Guest and Beauty and the Beast (as those two songs work as entertainment music for their scenes). That way I wouldn't constantly be reminded of the original or getting annoyed with the little unnecessary tweaks they added. It would have felt like it's own story. I have a feeling this Mulan movie will feel like it's own story and not a pure rehash of what we saw.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 17th, 2020, 7:25 pm

After reliving the magic that is the "real" Lion King, I've pretty much done a 180 on Mulan. Doesn't mean I still don't have concerns, but I'm much more open to what it seems we're getting.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 18th, 2020, 10:56 am

Totally agree with Bill. I'm looking forward to a somewhat new take on the story.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 19th, 2020, 2:56 pm

New TV spot:

The more I see of the witch... I wonder if she's really evil or might possibly be redeemed? That could be interesting...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2020, 11:56 am

Nikki Caro interview:

"I got two daughters" That might explain one of the changes!

Character posters:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 26th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Daniel wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 11:56 am
Character posters:
Ah, so stars have expensive agents in China, too.. :roll: